C25K Beginner

Options
Hi,

I just started the C25K program and today I finished Week 1 Day 3. I was wondering if this walk / run on treadmill is ok or its recommended to be done outdoors only?

Also is it ok to skip week 2 and go to W3 directly? I find W1 to be easy and thought I could do more running at a stretch than the recommended 60sec.

Thank you in advance for your reply

- Sam

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Can do it indoors or out - many recommend doing it outdoors if you plan to run races or outdoors more than in, as outdoors is more difficult.

If you're a brand new runner or it's been a long time, I wouldn't skip any weeks - stick to the program, even though the first week seemed easy. Following the program helps avoid injury from doing too much too soon.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I did it on the treadmill and still run on the treadmill. I am planning to move it outside when the fall comes and I am a bit nervous that it will be harder than I am used to. Maybe do a mix depending on weather???
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just started W5I do it on the treadmill at the gym. Working my way to doing it outdoors. I feel to embarrassed still to run outside where lots of people can see me struggling! Maybe at the end of W5 I'll venture outside.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am starting it Monday. I was planning on using the indoor track @ the gym (YMCA), switching to outside in the Fall. I hate the treadmill.
  • k_m_o
    k_m_o Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new to running and recently started C25K. I'm on week 4 and I do it on the treadmill. I know it's different than running outside but I like it because it helps me with the mental aspect. I know that my mind is much weaker than my body and with my treadmill, I literally HAVE to keep jogging because I won't press the button to change the speed until the interval is up. I feel like if I wasn't on the treadmill, I would try to cheat or even give up much easier.

Eventually I'd like to transition to maybe running outside, but as for now I am enjoying my treadmill in front of the tv haha
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill for like a month then I moved to outside. It is harder outside, but way more interesting. Either way it works, but I agree with above post that says if you plan on running races you will eventually want to take it outside. I still cant do a full 5k outside, but I am half way there. My motivation was wanting to run a the color run without walking any. Now that I learned its a fun run and Im not even timed its not quite as interesting, but I found a love for running after I realized how much of a stress reliever it is. The first few weeks are the hardest. Keep on keeping on. You won't regret it.
  • samonmission
    samonmission Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply everyone.. seems like I should slowly move out of the treadmill and start outside.
    Problem is I feel uncomfortable running outside in the morning when its dark and I usually workout at 5:15-5:30 am in the morning.
    But I can at least do that on weekends.
  • saraedens
    saraedens Posts: 54
    Options
    I just started week one day one today. I do mind outside as I don't have access to the gym or a treadmill. I've walked/ jogged outside and don't care what ppl think anymore. You gotta focus on you and not worry about what others think!! Good Luck! And when I run alone (usually hubby goes with me) I care pepper spray!! :)
  • samonmission
    Options
    I did my W2D2 outside yesterday with my friend. The path had some really steep hills and it was surely difficult. I found W2D1 very easy on treadmill but on a non-straight road I see how important it is to not skip a week.
    I am still soar from yesterday... Lesson learned ... Do not skip weeks or days in C25K program if you are doing it outdoors.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You can do either or. I don't do much training indoors unless I'm forced to (has to be really nasty weather...extreme heat/cold, etc); I prefer to run outdoors so that my body gets used to those elements as well as changes in elevation, etc...but that stuff is important to me because I do race.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You can skip days or redo days....you can adjust it to your needs. Just don't do too much too soon to avoid injuries. I did week 5, day 2 today and I have done the entire program outside. I do not own a treadmill so I don't know how the differences feel between running outside as opposed to the treadmill. My next day is 20 minutes straight with only doing 8 min today? lol Happy running! :happy:
  • uwsmama
    uwsmama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi Sam - I don't know if you are still checking this thread but I just finished W3D3 today and am also doing it outside. Two days a week I run at 5:15am and here (in NYC) the sun is rising. It looks dark when I look out the window but it's actually pretty light out. I don't know where you live but while the days are still long (and sooo hot) I plan on getting out early! On the weekends I usually run around 8am. I don't know what I will do when it starts getting lighter later or when it's cold! Keep up the great work! I just signed up for my first 5K on October 5th. Let's motivate each other!!!
  • samonmission
    Options
    Hi
    Yes I definitely need that motivation. I finished my W3D1 yesterday and I started running outside now. On Tuesday & Thursday this week I did go out for walk in the early morning.
    It was dark and quiet but I realized that once you start moving that doesn't bother you much and for the main part, I am loving it outside than on treadmill
    - Sam
  • sadhanagopal
    sadhanagopal Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I just finished my W1D2 today. My stats have been

W1D1: 3.15 kms
    W1D2: 3.25 kms

Is this too slow?
    The first day I had a lot of ankle and calf pain and was completely winded by the end of 30 mins. Today, I changed my shoes and could comfortably do the laps and even walked for an extra half hour after the workout. Am I going too slow? Should I push myself harder? I have never run all my life(not even in school) and have a big mental block about it. Looking for inputs/feedback, please!!