Atkins shakes on non Atkins diet?

Options
s0987
s0987 Posts: 22 Member
I bought the Mocha Latte Advantage Shakes from Atkins (mostly because they had real coffee in them)....but all these high-protein and meal replacement products are new to me so I don't really understand them. Is it ok to drink Atkins just as a low-cal meal replacement or do you need to be following the Atkins program?
thanks

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I love Atkins shakes! I am not following a low-carb (or any, really) diet plan but I love those shakes. Convenient, tasty and good protein content.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I still eat the Atkins bars. I find they are a great alternative to candy bars. The caramel nougat chewy tastes just like a Snickers.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter that they say "Atkins" on them. They're just food products, like anything else. Like the above poster, I really like the Atkins bars. They DO taste like candy bars! :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I bought the Mocha Latte Advantage Shakes from Atkins (mostly because they had real coffee in them)....but all these high-protein and meal replacement products are new to me so I don't really understand them. Is it ok to drink Atkins just as a low-cal meal replacement or do you need to be following the Atkins program?
    thanks

What do you think would happen to your body if they were only for people on the Atkins Diet and you drank one anyways?
  • kerryloveshoward
    Options
    I was considering the medifast diet plan but realized I could fashion my own diet plan using the Atkins shakes and bars as meal or snack replacements for certain meals, and then eat "lean and green" for dinner. I haven't started doing it yet, but it sure seems easier than making my lunch. <chuckle>
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Not enough protein, lots of better options available. Also way high in fat!!!

Pure Protein and Premier Protein way better for you!!!

Good Luck!!!
  • kerryloveshoward
    Options
    I don't know what would happen, but you feel free to keep posting.... those abs are hot!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I generally recommend them as a snack as opposed to a meal replacement. Also, i much prefer the muscle milk ones or eas (personal taste opinion). The reason i dont recommend it as a meal replacement is two fold; generally doing so will cause people to under eat their goal and it doesnt provide the same hunger curbing response as meat. Your body can process whey within 30-60 minutes where egg/chicken proteins take longet to process (3-6 hours), iirc.

Btw, i do protein shakes post workout and for lunch.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i like them, they're tasty. great way to get fats in the diet without eating.

for anyone on atkins, eating those bars/shakes would be retarded, because they're not nutritious enough. people also treat the endulge candy like meal replacement bars, and they're so not! plus they can easily make you stall.

yes, it has the atkins name, but i don't think they're good enough to be eaten on the lifestyle.
  • nicole9008
    Options
    thanks

What do you think would happen to your body if they were only for people on the Atkins Diet and you drank one anyways?

Ha hahahahahahahahaha.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    thanks

Ha hahahahahahahahaha.

Your head would pop off and you would start peeing chunks of protein? I am just not sure if that is before or after your hair falls out and you go into cardiac failure.
  • Nicoodlenoodle
    Nicoodlenoodle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink them every morning for breakfast and that's it nothing else
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have them for breakfast with a piece of fruit. I just count the cals/macros in them as if they were food. And they keep me full and I get a coffee fix feeling:)
  • brandiseagroves
    brandiseagroves Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know what would happen, but you feel free to keep posting.... those abs are hot!

LOL...AMEN sista