eating out advice

Options
Going out to dinner tonight before I go and see David Attenborough speak! Have been ultra good all day so I can have a little lee way tonight without exceeding the calories. If anyone has a default eat out meal that works for them please let me know. Please note i am in Australia so don't have most of the chains of the US.

Replies

• tlmclennan
    tlmclennan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would order a fish, chicken or steak dish. I live in Australia as well and know that the options can usually be chips and salad or veg and mash. I usually opt for salad and veg. I get weird looks sometimes, but whatever. If you can stick to a lean meat and load up on vegetables then it cuts the calories down a lot. I stay away from pastas and rice dishes only because I don't know what they are putting in the sauces. Good luck!
  • becajb
    becajb Posts: 50
    Options
    thanks. I really like asain food so was thinking of giving korean a go and seeing what i can come up with. being very careful to not have too much rice though and nothing fried
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My go to is lean protein, grilled or broiled fish, green veggies, and no sauce!
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Attenborough! I could watch him for hours!

On a more relevant note, I love Nandos (Qtr chicken + salad meal).. that's my go-to eat out meal. If you are aiming for a classier kinda restaurant, any form of grilled fish with veggies would work.
  • lsuz
    lsuz Posts: 74
    Options
    I try to scan the menu for what I can eat. Chicken, fish, and veg for sure. Scan for what's healthy and don't let the other stuff trip you up. Starting with a yummy salad is also helpful. Good luck. We're with you!!
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Another Aussie here! If I'm trying to pick a healthy option from an unfamiliar menu, I usually gravitate towards whatever fish/seafood option they have, and if it's fried, battered, or crumbed, I just ask if they can grill it instead. And I go for a side of salad or veggies rather than chips. If you're not in the mood for seafood, I'd use the same principles, but with a poultry option instead. Enjoy David Attenborough!
  • becajb
    becajb Posts: 50
    Options
    thanks team! so excited to see David. :happy:
  • AAX2
    AAX2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Basically what everyone esle said. Chicken, fish, and veggies! :) Have fun & enjoy!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Prelog with a guess, even if you have to modify it. I find it helps to skip booze and appetizing.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I was mislead by the title of this thread.
  • showjennie
    Options
    G'day! I lived in Australia for 7 years, until March of this year - I miss it so much! I saw a nutritionist in Brisbane who really changed my life, or at least, taught me so much (the challenge is putting it into practice but I'm a WIP!). If you are in Brisbane her name is Julie Gilbert, I think she has a website.

On to the topic - Julie told me something I have never forgotten and which I am only just now putting into practice. She said "Order just one thing from the entree menu to have as your main" and my concern was always, what if I'm still hungry? what if it isn't enough? To which her simple solution was "You can always order something else if you're still hungry."

Mind blowing really, in any event, she also taught me about portion control and gave me ideas for what to eat when I eat out, and what NOT to eat. There is actually a fantastic book you might love that is Australian it's called Portion Perfection and it is a visual guide to eating food in Australia. Want to have fish and chips? No problem! Here is a picture of what your plate should look like.

What kind of food are you going to go and have? You usually can't go wrong if you order grilled fish with salad and veggies - but if you are really craving pasta, avoid creamy and go for a napoli sauce. I would avoid indian altogether and if you do asian, go for a veggie stir fry or a veggie noodle soup.

ALSO look at the menu fo wherever you're going before you go there and try to find the healthy option, and commit to ordering just that. You may arrive famished and think "omg I want a big bowl of wedges" but stick to your guns and as soon as you have the first few mouthfuls and are no longer in the irrational "hungry i eat all the things" phase, you will be thankful :))
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I always go for a great salad and a piece of protein (steak or fish) that I don't normally make at home. I allow room for a drink or dessert and craft my choices before I go to dinner so I know what I am getting. I look forward to those items and don't feel I missed out because I am already having something different as a treat.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Just *once* I would like these eating out threads to be about what *I* want them to be about.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I was mislead by the title of this thread.

same
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Just *once* I would like these eating out threads to be about what *I* want them to be about.

Right? I just want this on my feed. Advice? Enjoy the tastyness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just practice portion control mostly. I don't go out to eat often so I just enjoy myself...this is all about the rest of my life, not dinner tonight.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    IMHO... Don't worry too much about it. You don't need to go overboard, but you've been working hard and deserve a stress free, fun night out. Even if you go over for the day, in all likelihood, you are still going to be in a deficit for the week, so you'll be fine. Enjoy!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    ...nope, can't bring myself to do it...
  • conniesue14
    conniesue14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Take your own salad dressing or order salad dressing on the side. get grilled fish or chicken ask for no oily coatings - plain baked potatoes if available or steamed vegetables - should keep you safe.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Best done during or after a shower. Dont be afraid to try new places. Pay attention to what your partner wants this time, just because they enjoyed something last time doesnt mean they dont want to try something new.