No more excuses. I HAVE to do this.

Options
Hi. I am not really sure where to start here so I am just going to plunge right in.

My name is Stevi (yes I am female - I have evil parents), I am 25 years old, live with my husband and dog and weigh 17st 11lbs. I come from an Italian family of big men and women who all enjoy their food. Like them, I have a passion for cooking. Unfortunately this also means that I never lose any weight, I just seem to pile it on. In 2011 I was down to the lightest I have been since I was 16 years old which was 12st. I know that for my height (5ft 2") that I was still over weight but I was happy.

I met my (now) husband, Chris, in March 2011 and we moved in together in January 2012. In February of 2012 I had a miscarriage and I became very ill for about 6 months. The doctor put me on new medication among other things after my miscarriage and by August 2012 my weight had rocketed to 17st. which was the heaviest I had ever been. 5st. I had gained 5st in six months! I went back to my doctor who explained to me that the medication I was on did make you pile on weight as well as "giving you the munchies". They hadn't told me this before putting me on the tablets. If I had known I would have asked for something else because I know how much I struggle to lose weight once I gain it. Anyway, by Christmas I was up to 18st 2lbs and I begged the doctor to take me of the tablets. He told me he would but that the weight would take some time to come off. Yeh, he wasn't joking. 7 months later and I'm only 5lbs lighter. HOWEVER that is my own fault I guess. I haven't been exercising or eating right since. I love my food so much. I also had no motivation.

In January this year I made friends with Jen, the woman who lived next door to us before we moved. She is now my best friend and is a great support. She told me about this website and explained and showed me how easy it was to use. I still think it's a bit of a pain in the backside to have to measure and weigh everything before you eat it but it I know it's an excellent way of keeping track. I have somebody to motivate me now and I will do the same for her (not that her ironfisted willpower ever seems to stray lol).

My husband and I want to have a baby but I don't want to be overweight and pregnant, that wouldn't be good for the baby. I'm at the stage where I hate my husband touching me because I think I look and feel disgusting. I want to be able to run around and play with my dog, Kovu, instead of just walking him to the park and watching him run around while I try and catch my breath. I want to be able to run around and play with my nephew, Dylan, and Jen's wee boy without them being able to outrun me (I mean seriously... a five year old and a two year old could run circles around me!). I dread to think what my internal organs must look like. I am out of breath walking up one flight of stairs and I have developed a wheeze too. I hate the fact that I can't buy nice clothes because they only go up to a size 14 or 16. Clothes in size 18+ tend to be frumpy. I think the manufacturers think that just because we are fat that we don't deserve to have nice clothes.I hate all of this. I am now determined to do something about it.

I have 100lbs to lose. I know it's not going to fall off me but I am going to do something about it if it bloody kills me. And let's face it, If I don't get the weight off, chances are IT will kill me.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but happy to be of support if you'd like. You have to do this, you only get one life. :flowerforyou:
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    Thank you for you reply. I'd be grateful of your support. :) You are right... we do only get one life. Time I started being healthy in it. :drinker:
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    One step at a time. Try not to focus on 6 months-year from now. DO what you can today! Get you calories sorted, you do not have to starve; just exercise more than you eat!
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Oh and take pictures along the way, they make a huge difference when you are feeling demotivated.
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You made it - the first and most important step. You faced your problem and are decided to do something about it. From here on is just a hell of a lot of learning, a little bit of pushing through and in no time you will be WANTING to do this FOREVER because you'll start loving the little results you see along the way.

Don't forget to be patient and don't forget you are doing a lifestyle change, so it takes time and you should not deprive yourself.

Be proud of every little achievment - they all count. And this is the first one - you're here, and you are ready to change. Well done! Add me if you'd like some support. Be strong, you'll get there! :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    .I still think it's a bit of a pain in the backside to have to measure and weigh everything before you eat it

carting round an extra 8 stone of weight is probably a bit of a pain as well!

learn to love your scales!!! they are without a doubt the single most important tool for losing weight. that and patience and will power!

feel free to add me, i am on here every day!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Welcome

Have sent you a friend request.
  • cath14967
    cath14967 Posts: 27
    Options
    Wow well done on the first step admitting that you need to do something about it. Took me a long time to get to that point. Im so glad we can be friends and can help and support eachother on our journey.
    I found it was easier for me to change small things rather than my intire life in one day.
    For excample
    I changed my morning snack from chocolate to a piece of fruit.
    I drink a glass of water before every meal.

I did these until I felt I could keep them up then changed something else like roasting/grilling unstead of frying

I'm so excited for you.

'Nothing is impossible to a willing heart' John Heywood 16th Century English Poet
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    Thank you for all the kind messages :)

Cath, I have 19 cook books (I am a HUUUUGE Hairy Bikers fan), and in every cook book I have it says that stir-frying is a healthy option. I LOVE a stir-fry, especially with chicken, peppers and onions. My problem is I also like having cheese, soured cream and salsa with it lol. I love roasting and grilling food, never been a massive fan of frying food - the smell of frying bacon makes me wanna throw up.

I am glad you are all so supportive cause my husband (who is 6ft tall and weights 9st) lives off crisps, sweets and toast so it's not like he is gonna be of any use to me lol. x
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I can feel like a bit of a pain to do it at first but weighing and measuring keeps you honest. I also realized for me, not saying this is you, but i was using that as an excuse not to move forward with this the first time. Weighing and measuring is an eye opener when you realize how much a serving actually is compared to what you are actually consuming. I know I was shocked for somethings. You made a good choice and you can do it. I used to be morbidly obese at one point in my life and carrying any weight in mass amounts isn't fun and it doesn't make you feel good about yourself. I can relate but you will get there and we will help you :)

It's Eat to live, not live to eat.

Welcome,

Tess
  • mggriso
    mggriso Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, not the best at sticking to things but I too have lots to loose. Good Luck. :wink:
  • churchchipmunk
    churchchipmunk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Feel free to add me. Would love to be an encouragement on your journey!!!
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    Thanks guys for the support :)
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck.

MFP is a great place for support and information, we've got our issues here but what that comes down to is that we're all human and have good days and bad days.

Weighing, measuring and tracking can be a pain in the butt, but what I've started reminding myself is that I have a choice between pains. The pain of exercising, tracking, weighing etc. Or the pain of living a life where I can't do everything I want.

I'm still struggling, but I have faith that in time I'll get it all done. But until then, every little bit gone helps.

You're welcome to add me as a friend in you like, but I'll be honest, I cycle between being vocal and being quiet, so decide if you can live with that. ~smiles~

Either way, I wish you the best success, and by the sounds of your cooking that you've mentioned, it may be all about portion control for you. Frustrating but at least it doesn't stop you from eating the things you love.
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you're truly motivated and can provide motivation. :)
  • glrallen
    glrallen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just started this week. I believe taking small steps is best. When I try to change everything at once it is harder. I start by making small changes and working my way up. This includes food and exercise. This site has really made a difference for me. It has helped me see that the more active you are the more calories you can eat. I also seem to have more energy now. It's great to see you here. Feel free to add me if you want. No judging here.
  • mznik114
    mznik114 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Continue to have the attitude that you HAVE to and WILL get the weight off. I'm getting serious as well. Welcome to MFP and I'll add you...I, too, need all the support I can get. YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I too have around 100 lbs i want to lose also! There is actually a group on MFP for people with 100lbs + to lose, so know that you are definitely not alone! :) Try not to look at the big picture, it seems to overwhelm people, especially when first starting out! Instead focus on a day at the time, or even parital days- morning, afternoon, evening etc. I find the more small stuff I can get through, the easier it seems :)
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me if you like. I am pretty much starting my journey over with now 45 lbs to lose rather than the 30 originally I wanted to lose. Good Luck! We can do this!!!!!!
  • jentris
    jentris Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can do it and congratulations on finally getting to that point. I have a feeling you will be successful!

I found that focusing on the food first was easiest for me. Sure, I walked here and there but I focused on getting my nutrition down first and losing some weight. One thing at a time. I also love to cook! There are so many truly delicious things you can cook that are healthy and really it all comes down to portion size. It is so eye opening when you start weighing and measuring!

The other thing I did was make 10 lb goals. 10 lbs at a time. That is doable.

I've lost 75 lbs and have 15 more to my first goal and then hopefully another 10 after I hold that first weight for a bit. (I lost the first 60 on my own without MFP.)

Feel free to add me if you'd like!