What should I add to running?

Options
I finished the couch to 5k program last week and I've really come to love running. I'm up to 37 minutes straight. But I feel a little stuck, I think I should add something else in on my off days. Does anyone have any recommendations.

I can't go to the gym, it just isn't possible. I'd like something I can do at home inside before the kids wake up. I don't have room for any equipment in my teeny tiny house.

Right now I weigh 260 lbs and I really just want to focus on losing weight and inches.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Some sort of strength training. Not sure what equipment you have, so some sort of body weight exercise plan/DVD.

Sorry, don't use DVD's so I couldn't recommend.
  • fiveoaks66
    fiveoaks66 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On my off days, I do yoga, gardening and mowing the lawn (2 hours pushing the mower.). I've also just added some strength training (no weights, just body resistance) in the mornings.

Eta- I run 3 miles twice a week and 4-6 miles on my long run day.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    if you have steps, you can run up and down the steps.... I like this as well
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You could try push ups, sit ups, up downs, etc. They don't cost anything but time and effort.
  • TotalPackageLive
    TotalPackageLive Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Definitely add strength training. I have seen how some runners look, especially when losing weight. It is not pretty, just flab. You want to always maintain tone. You look better, it helps with posture and shape.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    Have you tried Zumba? There's plenty of videos on YouTube (Jill McClure, LarissaZumbaCO, Amber Blanch, and ZumbawithEvangeline are all good channels) and I'm sure there's classes locally if you can do so. It's a ton of fun and all you need is a good pair of tennis shoes and some space (a living room, bedroom, or basement would be perfect).

You can also do a 30-minute session of calisthenics (eg. push-ups, lunges, squats -- Blogilates on YouTube has a ton of videos dedicated to this that need little to no equipment. She works you but you feel great afterwards!) or practice yoga (I cannot recommend Melissa West -- again on YouTube -- enough; her routines are never too strenuous and if you practice the same video for two or three days, you will see a ton of improvement!)

Lastly, walking is so underrated! Do you think you could get the kiddos out on an evening walk? I don't know how young they are, but a simple walk around the block or to the end of the street and back would still count as exercise for both you and them!
  • pedsnure
    pedsnure Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    save
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Do a progressive body weight strength program. I use You Are Your Own Gym. There is a book and an app. No equipment necessary. You don't need the app, but I really like having the workouts programed into my phone and the timer for keeping track of rests for me. It also keeps a history of my sets and reps which helps for tracking my progress. I do it 2 or 3 times a week in addition to 4 days of running. Adding the strength training will help keep you burning fat instead of muscle, so it's a good idea to add it. And it's a good idea to do an organized progressive program so you are less likely to repeat the same level excercises longer than you should turning your strength training into more cardio.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Runners world recomends 1 or 2 days a week of strength training, general whole body workouts..... this helps prevent injuries too...
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If your going down the running path, do some research on core strength training and you'll find a litney of exercises that you can do in the home and it only take a few mins to do. All of it related to your core strength and support for your running activities. Planks is a big one utilizing many different muscles and methods, bicycle kicks and ab work outs is another. Just dig in a little more on the core muscles needed from the runners perspective.
  • frankyk89
    frankyk89 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    a set of dumbbells, they don't take up much room or what about using soup cans for lifting or milk jugs filled w/ water or sand/kitty liter. just a thought if you don't want to go out and buy dumbbells, just throwing ideas out there for you.... good luck! :wink:
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do a progressive body weight strength program. I use You Are Your Own Gym. There is a book and an app. No equipment necessary. You don't need the app, but I really like having the workouts programed into my phone and the timer for keeping track of rests for me. It also keeps a history of my sets and reps which helps for tracking my progress. I do it 2 or 3 times a week in addition to 4 days of running. Adding the strength training will help keep you burning fat instead of muscle, so it's a good idea to add it. And it's a good idea to do an organized progressive program so you are less likely to repeat the same level excercises longer than you should turning your strength training into more cardio.

This...This. This. This. This.

Progressive strength training is so important. Helps you maintain the muscle you have and will help you look how you want to look in the end.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If you can't make it to the gym, body weight exercises are your friend. It is so important to incorporate some kind of strength regimen into your routine. There are a lot of great workout DVDs that can help you accomplish this. I personally don't use them but there are tons of members who have had great success with 30 day shred and Insanity.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I do strength training in the gym (New Rules of Lifting for Women) but *love* the You Are Your Own Gym app for the days when I work late or forget to take my shoes. If you don't have access to the gym, there are a number of things you can used to add resistance within a budget and without taking up much space - resistance bands, for example.

I'm currently reading the book "Never Gymless" (rosstraining.com) and I am really interested in the things he has to say about making sure to include exercises that target each type of strength (maximal, endurance, speed and explosive power) - and the exercises he uses are body weight/minimal equipment.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Cycling works
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    That depends. What are your goals? Are you looking to keep running mostly as part of an overall fitness routine or are you thinking about racing? Not just entering races, but really trying to see how fast you can get?
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If you can't run outside the house (I was going to suggest adding some trails/hills to bump up the difficulty), then definitely do something to work and build muscles all over. I've been taking a class at my rec enter for a few months now and can see a difference, but it's not where I want to be yet. I'm gonna have to look into that You Own Gym thing, thanks!
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I knew I had to add some strength training, I was just in denial. For some reason I'm not looking forward to it.
    I'm going to check out the "you are your own gym" thing.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Some weight training. I am doing planks as well for core and if you do some upper body you will be able to do a spartan or a tough mudder some day. ;)
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options
    TRY jogging on the treadmill uphill on a 7.0 incline at a 4.0 or 4.5 speed. Try to do it for a mile. YOU will sweat your *kitten* off. :D