Which GPS watch?

Options
My fiancé's birthday is soon and he's dropped some hints about some kind of fitness monitor/GPS watch. He currently uses his mobile phone but I don't think it does it much good being jogged around that much as he runs!

I've had a look at the Nike + stuff, which is about as expensive as I want to go, and I've heard that Garmins can be a bit hit and miss. There are also some cheaper Timex ones. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't think he would want anything too fancy as he's pretty low-maintenance - he just likes tracking everything on mapmyrun and it would be good to have something to help out with that. He doesn't really track calories, more distance and time. Thanks!

Replies

• KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    it depends on features, budget and personal choice, but there's a decent guide here: [url] http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_Watch [/url]
  • thetiniestgirl
    Options
    Guys and tech toys - I'd just give him a gift certificate - so he can have the fun of researching what he truly wants! :)

I love my Polar, though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Garmin Forerunner series but you are partially correct about the hit and miss comment. If accurate caloric burn is on his list of priorities the 610 would be the model to go for (or a 910 if he's also a swimmer)

here's a link to a review of the 610

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/04/garmin-forerunner-610-in-depth-review.html

he's also got reviews for the other models too.
  • Hollyana
    Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for recommendations and links - I've read so many different reviews that contradict each other, so I think giving him some money to choose his own might be the best option!!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options

DC Rainmaker knows his stuff. Very thorough reviews.

I am waiting for the TomTom Multisport to come out. They built the Nike+ watches so its just an updated version that is designed for triathlon sports. DCR has a good review of the TomTom Multisport and the Runner.