Jiggly Thighs!

Options
What do you find is your most effective exercise for the thigh area???:ohwell:

Replies

• cfergusontx
    Options
    I have had jiggly thighs my whole life and about three months ago we bought bicycles. They are firming up for the first time ever. I've tried stationary bicycles in the past with no results, but for the first time ever, riding outdoors I'm seeing some results. We are riding several times a week, Every other night, for about 30 minutes and on Saturdays for an hour. Our bikes are 8 speed and we ride at about a 5.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. Once you lose body fat, the muscle will reveal itself.
  • alwilson1974
    alwilson1974 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been doing kickboxing and home videos with cardio and strength intervals. That seems to be helping me a bit.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can't "spot reduce" or "spot tone" or anything, because unfortunately fat comes off where it wants to, not where we want to. You CAN get to where you want by utilizing the holy trinity of body recomposition:

1. Eating less (search the forums for "In place of a road map")

2. Moving more (some kind of cardio--anything that you will personally enjoy doing, be it steady state or HIIT.)

3. Working your muscles (some kind of strength/resistance training--bodyweight exercises are a great way to start. Google "nerdfitness" or "scooby's workouts" or "you are your own gym." Squats and lunges are a beautiful, wonderful thing.)

Best of luck!!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce. Once you lose body fat, the muscle will reveal itself.

^^ This. Only reducing body fat will reduce jiggles. That said, strength training will help the appearance of your body now, during the fat loss process and when you are finished.

Squats, deadlifts, lunges, hip thrust and glute bridges. With a barbell, heavy dumbbells or my manipulating your body if doing bodyweight only (ie, single leg squats, thrusts, rear foot elevated lunges, etc).
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    They were not saying they wanted to spot reduce...gees. Quit judging. They were asking for suggestions on good thigh exercises. Help them not judge them and assume you know some hidden meaning to their post.

To answer your question....squats and lunges...yes I know these are probably not the 2 you wanted to hear but they work.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do not think that the other posters and I intended to come across as judgmental or that we answered in a particularly judgmental manner. But hey, this is the internet....everyone's mileage may vary and it is incredibly difficult to "read" tone through only pixels on a screen.

The thread title was "Jiggly thights," which to me implied "jiggly because of fat and/or cellulite." That in turn implied the question of "How can I best reduce the amount of unwanted fat and/or cellulite in my thighs?" I usually interpret that as being related to spot reducing.

Apologies to the original poster if I misinterpreted!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts. when your quads and hams (and glutes, for that matter) are rock solid from these, your thighs don't jiggle. If you have excess fat on top of your quads and hams, a sensible calorie deficit will take care of it
  • cfergusontx
    Options
    If I could spot reduce, I'd spot reduce this midriff away and these batwing arms!
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks -- appreciate the info!