Best surface to run on: asphalt vs grass vs sand

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Notwithstanding the fact that running is not bad for your joints I prefer to run on asphalt rather than concrete. Running on grass or sand are different in that you don't have the same traction you do with a firmer surface - it changes your mechanics and energy expenditure and makes for a nice change occasionally. Personally I find running on the beach (in bare feet) when I'm on vacation is very tiring but it's great that a slight change in direction puts you in the water!
    I have two questions related to what you've said here. What's the difference between running on concrete vs. asphalt? Is asphalt softer? I run on the concrete sidewalk here (we have a lot of sidewalks so it's easy to run for miles on them). I'm just wondering why you prefer asphalt, how it's different.

The other question is about running on the beach. I was going to post my own question about it but figured it made sense in here. I'm going to the beach tomorrow. If I want to go for a run, would I do that barefoot? I certainly don't want to run on the wet sand in my $100 running shoes. But will I mess up my legs/joints or anything if I run barefoot? Is that what people do when they run on the beach?

Asphalt has a little bit of give to it, concrete doesn't . I feel less beat up after a longer run (for shorter runs I don't really have a preference).

As to the beach.....some people will run in shoes (especially if you're on firmer sand) some barefoot. If you're not accustomed to running barefoot approach the change conservatively because you mechanics are different, keep the run short & slow. My main reason for running barefoot on the beach is that I can just duck into the water without worrying about my shoes.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I hate running on asphalt..... I would prefer to run dirt trails... But you know it's a good day when you're running on a beach in sand!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is where people find enough grass to run on.

Golf course (before/after hours of course)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If you have good quality shoes and proper form, you can run anywhere and maintain healthy joints. However, if you wear trail shoes on the road or vice versa, you will not benefit from the construction of the shoe and what each is meant to protect and capitalize on. This is coming from a dummy who wore nothing but cross trainers for years until I eventually needed knee surgery in 04 to unf*** my ACL/meniscus/plica. The Air Force paid $20K for a procedure that a $100 pair of proper running shoes could have prevented.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i run a dirt trail that is 3.1 miles around (Memorial Park here in Houston)
    i work downtown and wouldn't mind running the concrete streets i see a lot of people doing during their lunch hour, but FOR ME, my knees scream for dear mercy when i do

i've run on a beach when i went on vacation and would like to do it more often (when I lived in San Diego I didn't know how good I had it, there isn't much here as far as beaches go)
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    +1 what you said

soft dirt is my fave
    :-)
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    trails (dirt/grass/rocks) are my fav because I like having to adapt to the changing terrain. I have heard that wet sand is actually harder on your joints than cement (cement is harder than asphalt) and should be avoided. I have no idea if this is true or not. Dry sand, though.....totally soft but so hard to run it! Makes for a great workout.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have just started running and do not have the best running shoes, so I run on the grass along a trail near my house because when I run on the asphalt trail I do get shin splints. I see a fair amount of runners on the grass as well (there is a well-worn trail in the grass now, which makes it really dirt), so I assume there must be a reason? Everything is different for everyone though.
  • Suerhv
    Suerhv Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well, all our sidewalks in my city are concrete...so I'm mostly stuck with that, but try to find a few park/forest trails on ashphalt and dirt/grass here and there...or find a high school with a track in the middle of my run and go around it a few times to give my legs a break...
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I go out, my strategy is to run against traffic, and then I pick grass, then asphalt and then concrete as my running terrain, switching off and on between the three as they are available (and clean and runnable!). I like the slight variation of surface on a well maintained grass stretch, and then agree with everyone on the softer asphalt surface against concrete. I also run in the middle of the road when there's a quiet stretch with good visibility, so as to keep the surface more level and avoid any issues associated with road crowning.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    ... I also run in the middle of the road when there's a quiet stretch with good visibility, so as to keep the surface more level and avoid any issues associated with road crowning.
    A friend of mine got run over walking home in the middle of the street. Given, he was drunk and it was 2am on a back road, but still, I so couldn't do that.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on running in sand! I will probably try a very short jog barefoot but will bring my shoes in case I want to do more. I'd like to think I'll be good and go for a run while on vacation, but most likely I'll just spend my time jumping in the waves. :-)
  • Last2bfirst
    Last2bfirst Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have not been a runner since I discovered Off Road Bikeing, go out of the USMC, and started Kayaking, but when I did I did alot of it. I remeber a couple things about running in sand, yes less direct impact on your joints but less lateral support on your knees and hips. Not sure if one is worth trading for the other. I also lived by the rule, show me someone with a favorite pair of running shoes and I will show you someone with bad knees Dr. Sheehan (SP). I use to throw my running shoes away after 500 Miles at one point that was like every 10-12 weeks.

I aggree good shoes, by and use them for what they are ment for.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    asphalt for me and I live less than 5 miles from beach
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I like running in the bike lane. I just hate when cyclists buzz me.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I, too, believe that it all comes down to your running form and shoes.
    Then I don't think it matters on which surface you run on
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Is this true: Running on grass is better for your joints then running on asphalt. Running on soft sand (that you sink 5-10 cm in each step) is better then running on grass.

Or: the softer the ground, the less you wear your body by running (but also the more effort it takes to run on it).

Just want to check my assumptions here. I don't mind putting more effort in running, but I do mind if I damage my body. I try to avoid running on asphalt/concrete as much as possible. Let me know what you think and what surface you prefer! Thanks!

No controlled test has been able to determine a difference in running surfaces, insofar as injury rates are concerned.

The runnersworld.com link dates back to 2002 but I believe that even at that time there were no studies that could show that one surface resulted in fewer injuries than any other surface.

The theory behind this is that the body will adjust the running gait to compensate for different surfaces and a few months/weeks ago I read of a study that demonstrated that your body will actually change gait as your foot is about to hit the ground to compensate for different surfaces.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer running on asphalt. It is just easier for me to go faster. Running on the grass drives me nuts.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I like running in the bike lane. I just hate when cyclists buzz me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I know I shouldn't really laugh at your posting, but I just can't help it, that is just naughty :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: