First Day at The Gym

Options
After a few failure filled months, I'm biting the bullet and joining the gym, alone, for the first time ever. I am so nervous! I know everybody will be more focused on what they are doing to care what I am doing, but I am so unfit I get winded walking up the stairs, so am terrified.

Any advice for a first timer?

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Dress comfy, wear good shoes, and bring water. Audiobooks are your friend on the treadmill. It's easy to just start with a treadmill in any new gym, because you can hop on, push the + button until you find a comfortable pace, and then just hang out there, scope things out, and get the lay of the land while looking like you at least kind of belong there :)
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    And every little bit counts so don't get down on yourself if you can only do 10 or 15 minutes. I started with 15 minutes daily on treadmill and seven months later I am running three miles. We all have to start somewhere. Experiment until you find what machine you like best. Lift weights :)

Congrats on getting out there!!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Get a tour and ask questions to the people at the front desk.
  • ktzmom
    ktzmom Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I first started back at the gym I was only going 30 minutes a day, but I went every day. Every minute you spend working out helps. Don't get discouraged if you can't do as much as you thought you would.

Try to find something that you like. As it turns out, I like going to classes. Zumba, Turbo Kick, anything with bouncy music. When i can't get to a class I fill my iPod with songs that make me want to get up and move around with the music. I find it's easier to focus on the music than to focus on the cardio machine. (I hate exercise.)

Best of luck to you!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Get a tour and ask questions to the people at the front desk.

definitely do this. and watch youtube vids on how to use the equipment and what the proper form is.
  • fineat42
    fineat42 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just take it one step at a time and one day at a time. It will get easier.. Congrats on taking this step
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The gym is just a smaller version of life. Like work or school or whatever. Sure some people will judge you, but the vast majority honestly aren't focused on you at all they are just living their lives and doing their thing. I learned a long time ago to simply not care what others think about my appearance at the gym. I am so focused on what I am doing (making my body and mind better and stronger and healthier) that I am too busy to care. Once you go a few times it will be awesome. Good luck!
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Most gyms will offer at least one session with a trainer. They want you to keep coming back and not get hurt. Take advantage of it.

Have them show you how to use all the equipment and design a beginner's program for you. Make sure you actually do a few reps of each exercise while they are watching you. You want to make sure you are adjusting everything correctly and using good form. Plus, you will be more likely to remember the movement later if you have actually performed it, rather than watching someone else.

If you have any type of injury, let them know so they can work around it.

Please remember that no-one will be looking at you funny for being there. We were all beginners at one point. Most are just happy to see other people start the journey to healthy living!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to push yourself too hard. It's very easy to overdo it, which makes you feel bad physically, which makes you feel bad about yourself, which makes you feel like it's pointless to even try.

Make sure you pay close attention during the initial walk-through, and invest in a trainer if you can. Even if you can only do one or two sessions, he/she will help you establish a baseline and give you instruction on stretching, how to use the machines, etc.

Also, get your measurements written down right at the start! It happens often that people might not see immediate changes on the scale, but have dramatic shifts in the number of inches lost. :smile:

Establish a rapport with the gym staff. The majority of them are very friendly, and won't hesitate to offer you assistance whenever you need it.

Water, water, water, comfortable clothes (Walmart has awesome capris I use almost exclusively at the gym, and they're only $5/pair), a towel, a magazine, and your ipod, and you should be good to go!

Oh, and please don't worry about what you look like while you're doing your workout. There are always going to be "those girls" with the matching lululemon outfits (not that I have anything against lulu - I love their stuff!) who look like they've never broken a sweat in their lives. Personally, I always look like I walked out of a sweat lodge and got straight on the tilt-a-whirl. :laugh:
  • TheGr8Kimbini
    Options
    Dress comfortable, take your time, and do what makes you feel comfortable enough and slowly venture out. You're not alone.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    Well done to you for taking that first step. As others have said, use the gym staff. Tell them how nervous you are, and that its all new to you. You won't be the first to have done that, and they can help best when they know what you need - some people want lots of support and interaction, some just go in and get done, don't want to talk to anyone. They should offer an induction and/ or free PT session - use it! Make sure you get a suggested programme that you are comfortable with, and get a suggested review date so you can build up as you get fitter.
    I have had really confidence issues in gyms before, and have had another blip recently. Believe me, they've seen it all before - tears, vomit, nearly passing out, falling off treadmills, hitting yourself with dumbbells, arguing with PT's - I know because I've done all of these! Mostly no-one else noticed because they were busy with their own stuff when I've fallen/ hot myself etc. Staff have been really supportive when I've told them I'm struggling with confidence, and when I've had injuries.
    Don't compare yourself to anyone else in the gym - just do the best you can. There will be some of the beautiful people - there to pose - ignore them! I now plug in, and take my specs off so I can't see them!
    Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    When you are there, think of all the other people as friends from MFP. They are just like the people that you've been talking to here.
  • 1CW1
    1CW1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! As nervous as I am, I'm kind of excited after every bodies reassuring and supportive advice.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    Just wondering how it went?