Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

that skinny fat

hi,

im in my early twenties and at 5'2 around 105lbs.

i'm dealing with that skinny fat problem where my ribs are starting to show but my tummy/thighs/etc. are still very much an annoyance.

the thing is, a couple years ago i went on a strict 2-week diet and lost virtually all my fat. i had a flat stomach and oddly enough the first fat to go was around my thighs. all i did then was run and i can't say my diet was that healthy. i basically just stuffed down salad after salad with chicken here and there. way back in senior year of highschool too, i simply cut down my dinner intake and slimmed down in time, in all the right places.

i am at home right now so my diet consists of whatever comes to the dinner table, i just try to eat less of it. the food isn't necessarily unhealthy and i try to eat more of the vegetables. rice is a constant factor, but i try to minimize that too. i am still running everyday.

so my question is why are things so different this time around? why is the fat coming off all the wrong places this time when it worked the other times? is it due to the diet difference, age? i have half the mind to fatten up again and start from scratch >< i guess it's just frustrating because i did it before and now things aren't going how they used to.

thanks! :/

Replies

• 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    I don't think you need to focus on loosing or on the weight. I think if you added strength training to your exercise you will tone in the areas you want to.
  • thank u for the response. yes, i am thinking about adding strength training.

but i was wondering if u knew why there was such a difference between now and the other times i tried to lose weight? all i did was run back then as well.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Not knowing all the specifics, I'm gonna say "Age." Guys go through a second puberty around the age of 18 when their shoulders start to widen out and they stop looking gawky and stuff (okay, 18 is just a general age here...), and then another little jolt right around 25 or 26 when they all of a sudden discover that they really *can't* eat everything in sight any more - it's the growth hormones and stuff.

I was right at your level - 98 pounds soaking wet all through college. Got my first job, stuck with 98 to 100 pounds or so until I hit right about 25....gained ten pounds, BAM! Whu? and, of course, it was all in the hips and tummy area. About three years later, my breasts finally decided to stop hiding...go figure.

You could add some weight-lifting to your routine to help move the fat, but I honestly suspect it's just the hormones of age.
  • Not knowing all the specifics, I'm gonna say "Age." Guys go through a second puberty around the age of 18 when their shoulders start to widen out and they stop looking gawky and stuff (okay, 18 is just a general age here...), and then another little jolt right around 25 or 26 when they all of a sudden discover that they really *can't* eat everything in sight any more - it's the growth hormones and stuff.

I was right at your level - 98 pounds soaking wet all through college. Got my first job, stuck with 98 to 100 pounds or so until I hit right about 25....gained ten pounds, BAM! Whu? and, of course, it was all in the hips and tummy area. About three years later, my breasts finally decided to stop hiding...go figure.

You could add some weight-lifting to your routine to help move the fat, but I honestly suspect it's just the hormones of age.

ah okay, i guess i'll give up on my dream of fat-loss being as "easy" as it was before. thank you! i shall start lifting more of them weights!