5K Advice?

Options
I am down almost 100 lbs. since January 2010, and 54 lbs. since February 2013, and my wife just signed us both up for our first 5k in Wilmington, NC on August 31. I am a football coach and teacher, so my workouts become limited starting August 1. Any advice for me in any preparations for the race? Shoes? Training? etc.? I have not done a lot of running at all because of a bad knee and lower back. The back has been doing a lot better since the weight loss, but still nervous about the knee. Went on my first run in a long time last week and ran 2 1/4 miles in 22 minutes. My quads hurt so bad for the next 4-5 days. Open to any and all suggestions.

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am down almost 100 lbs. since January 2010, and 54 lbs. since February 2013, and my wife just signed us both up for our first 5k in Wilmington, NC on August 31. I am a football coach and teacher, so my workouts become limited starting August 1. Any advice for me in any preparations for the race? Shoes? Training? etc.? I have not done a lot of running at all because of a bad knee and lower back. The back has been doing a lot better since the weight loss, but still nervous about the knee. Went on my first run in a long time last week and ran 2 1/4 miles in 22 minutes. My quads hurt so bad for the next 4-5 days. Open to any and all suggestions.

stretch, stretch, stretch. 2.25 miles in 22 minutes is imo a great time. however if you have a bad knee you'll want to add some strength training for your knee to your workouts. if you're plan is to continue racing/running invest in a good pair of sneakers (get fitted for them at a speciality store). if you can train on the same type of surface as the race (ie if it's a trail train on a trail, it will help) same holds true for the time of day the race is at. if you're running at 10:00 am then try to run around that time or at least same weather temp (ie you know it's going to be hot/humid in august fyi i'm up in VA our weather is similar so run while it's warm out not at 9:00 at night or 6:00 am when it's a little cooler/less humid
  • NCFootballCoach
    NCFootballCoach Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I need to make sure to stretch for sure, otherwise my Labor Day weekend will be completely ruined. I plan on getting new shoes for the running, not sure how much I plan on continuing because of football season starting and between teaching and coaching won't have as much time to workout. Look forward to the race though...

Any suggestions on brand or make of shoes?
  • DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'd say follow a training plan - or at least maybe loosely base your running schedule off of one.
    I like Hal Higdon and they're free:)
    e.g. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/5K-Intermediate-Training-Program

For shoes? Go to a running store (one of the big national ones like Road Runner Sports or better yet a local store with good reviews)! It can make a HUGE difference and prevent injuries. Shoes are different for every runner so Brooks may be great for some people for some purposes but Saucony might be great for someone else. You really need to get fit your first time!
  • dctexas65
    dctexas65 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Download a C25K program on a smartphone or print off the schedule..it is a couch to 5K training program that is fairly easy and takes it pretty slow to get your body in shape for a 5K. Good Luck
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    You really need to build up distance slowly. If you haven't run in a long time, your body isn't ready for any sort of distance, even if cardio-wise you're fine. (I'm totally guilty of jumping in too hard too quickly, especially given my history of sports injuries.) What kind of exercise have you been doing up until now?

Definitely make sure you have a good pair of shoes with adequate support depending on your stride/foot shape. Many specialty running stores have a treadmill and will do a basic gait analysis + foot imprint in this gel stuff that will help you determine what type of shoe will best support your joints.

In addition to stretching, it sounds like you might want to work on some of your leg strength if your quads were killing you after your run. Squats and various one-legged balance exercises could be very helpful (the balance exercises will work your stabilizer muscles, which help support the joints in active movements like running).

Getting on one of the Couch to 5K (C25K) programs isn't a bad idea - there are a million out there. I assume you've already been active in some manner during your weight loss efforts, so you should be able to start at week 3 or 4 without too many problems and that will allow you to be 5K ready by your race. (Usually the programs are 9 weeks or so -- http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml for example)

Good luck! Don't push yourself too hard and listen to your body!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options
    Thanks! I need to make sure to stretch for sure, otherwise my Labor Day weekend will be completely ruined. I plan on getting new shoes for the running, not sure how much I plan on continuing because of football season starting and between teaching and coaching won't have as much time to workout. Look forward to the race though...

Any suggestions on brand or make of shoes?

i love my brooks. i was fitted for them. the first pair cost $140 (OUCH!) but worth it and they were a reward to myself for running my first race. before that i loved asics then i got my brooks and the minute i put them on i could tell the difference between a $40 sneaker and a $140 sneaker. oh i found the exact same pair of brooks on amazon for $45 (they're an older model) so i bought them.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    If you don't run much you need to gradually build up. Couch to 5k is great and you could start at week 3-4.only takes 30 min per day.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

stretch, stretch, stretch. 2.25 miles in 22 minutes is imo a great time. however if you have a bad knee you'll want to add some strength training for your knee to your workouts. if you're plan is to continue racing/running invest in a good pair of sneakers (get fitted for them at a speciality store). if you can train on the same type of surface as the race (ie if it's a trail train on a trail, it will help) same holds true for the time of day the race is at. if you're running at 10:00 am then try to run around that time or at least same weather temp (ie you know it's going to be hot/humid in august fyi i'm up in VA our weather is similar so run while it's warm out not at 9:00 at night or 6:00 am when it's a little cooler/less humid

I would be careful of the "stretch, stretch, stretch".

It must be dynamic stretching not static to prevent injury/soreness. Static stretching can actually increase your chances of soreness/injury.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

It's all about the after run stretch. Stretching muscles that haven't been warmed up yet, is very dangerous in the runners world.

Also, listen to your body. If it hurts, then don't do it. You have to work up to it. But figure out if it's muscle burn hurt, or joint pain. If it's truly pain, stop doing it, pushing through will only make it worse.

It must be dynamic stretching not static to prevent injury/soreness. Static stretching can actually increase your chances of soreness/injury.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    Options

interesting i didn't know there was a difference with stretching. i looked up dynamic stretching and well lucky me these are the stretches i do before/after.
  • NCFootballCoach
    Options
    I prefer dynamic warmups anyways...I was kind of suspect when we started stretching my football team like that, but that was the first season I had no injuries on the team I coach except for one concussion.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I prefer dynamic warmups anyways...I was kind of suspect when we started stretching my football team like that, but that was the first season I had no injuries on the team I coach except for one concussion.

I coached and played as well. Every trainer I had stretched us dynamically pre-game, mixed with plyos. If we were pressed for time at all, it was just plyos.
  • Irontri7
    Irontri7 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd say follow a training plan - or at least maybe loosely base your running schedule off of one.
    I like Hal Higdon and they're free:)
    e.g. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50934/5K-Intermediate-Training-Program

For shoes? Go to a running store (one of the big national ones like Road Runner Sports or better yet a local store with good reviews)! It can make a HUGE difference and prevent injuries. Shoes are different for every runner so Brooks may be great for some people for some purposes but Saucony might be great for someone else. You really need to get fit your first time!

This. The best thing to do for shoes is get fitted for them. One of the worst mistakes is just buying a pair of shoes. I'm not sure what's near you, but I have nothing but good things to say about FleetFeet. They'll look at your feet, stride, cadence and suggest shoes for you based on all that. Last time I went there I was there for and hour and 15 minutes just talking with the guy and trying shoes out and ended up walking out not buying a pair (We determined using a combination of insoles and shoes I already had would work best).
  • NCFootballCoach
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! Definitely helpful. I am currently working out about 6 days a week with cardio everyday. M, T, W, F, and either Sat or Sun for about 30-45 minutes on the elliptical at about 160 strides per minute as my steady speed, with one of those days doing it circuit style with a max out speed of 210 spm and minimum of 135 spm, followed by an easy day at about 150 strides per minute the very next day. I also focus on burnout sets of weight training M, T, and W. On Thursdays I tend to do easy cardio training on a stationary bike in the morning with H.I.I.T at night for about 45-60 minutes. The cardio piece definitely was not the issue when I went running. My buddy who is a runner told me the leg soreness could have been due to the fact that I ran on sidewalks while visiting family in Ohio and the sidewalks tend to be at different levels, and even the slightest change in height on sidewalks can effect the legs like that. He recommended me running on the road...he dealt with similar issues while living in NYC for years. Anywho...thanks for the advice and we'll see how I do...I would love to run a 30 min. 5k, but the goal for my first one is under 40.
  • NCFootballCoach
    Options
    So today was the 5K!!! Had good shoes, slowly progressed for a month from 1 mile to 2 miles...so I had never actually run a full 3.1 miles before today. Finished in 33:11!!! Would have been better time, but I had to stop at the 2 mile mark to pee in the trees which took a while because of how much water I have been drinking. The hardest part of the run was after stopping to pee and getting my muscles back in the flow. Probably lost a good 4 minutes because of that pause in the run...all in all felt good though. Knees don't hurt (yet), it's my *kitten* muscle's that do! LOL...so now onto focusing on running every other morning until high school football season is done, and then it's time to get focused on another 5K!!!
  • NCFootballCoach
    Options
    link to pic of me heading to finish line!!!

http://jmbphotography.zenfolio.com/mod2013/h6187f549#h6187f549