How to know you are at the end of your weight loss journey

Options
Hi,

I was wondering if some other MFPals who are maintaining could share their experiences about when they decided they were 'done' with their weight loss and how it has been for them psychologically adjusting to their new size etc...

I seem to be on the fence about it and am hovering at about 159-162 at the moment - which is the top weight for my height and age (41 and 5'7.5"). I am in a size 8 (which I haven't been for since I can literally remember) and am maintaining at this weight. I work out really hard 3 times a week and think that I would like to focus on fitness challenges now rather than weight loss. Just all mixed up as I thought I would be way more excited by now. But I guess because of my lack of decision about being done I can't get happy about it.

Any one else, any thoughts?

Replies

• heatherforever222
    heatherforever222 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congrats on your weight loss. I think this depends on the person. It comes down to whether you are happy with the weight you are at. I think it also depends on what your ideal weight should be. For me, I think I want to be on the lower end spectrum of my goal weight. I dont want to get too thin to where it starts to look bad. I never had much weight to lose. I am 5'6 and 1/2, female, age 36, and I currently weight 139 pounds. I personally am not happy with that. I would be happy at 130 pound but would really like to be about 128-125 before I decide to maintain and not lose any more. But I tink this is a personal issue. If you are happy and feel successful at 159, then that should be your ideal weight.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Following this thread as i'm interested myself. I'm also a size 8, 155 lbs. I'm happy with how i look. I do think that i will be happier around 145 lbs but will i always feel like that? I do know that i wouldnt look good at the lower end of my healthy weight as i'm at the top now and people already tell me that the top of me is looking too gaunt and gross (gotta love having brutally honest siblings). Anyways, i'd love to know how someone knew that they were at goal. Was it a certain number? Pants size? Fitness related? Something else? The second part of your question is also huge to me, the psychological part. I'd love to know how people adjusted to their new size. I've lost a huge amount of weight and am struggling with this.