Are less carbs the way? My Weight Loss Plan

Options
After coming home for summer (I'm a college kid), I really haven't lost any weight at all. I think I have gotten more toned but I haven't been eating very healthy. Sometimes, I do, and sometimes i just indulge in all the luxuries we have. Until lately, I started eating better and I'm only a pound more than when I first came back home. But, I was really hoping to lose some weight before I get back. I'm not into drastic quick fixes but a friend told me eating less carbs while I workout will really help. Something about my body using fat instead of the carbohydrates for energy. I am currently 143, trying to lose 2-3lbs every week. So I could be anywhere from 125-130lbs when I get back to school (where I actually eat healthier, since I've got my own place).
For today, I plan on eating greek yogurt, turkey and beans, then some cream of turkey soup.

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Firstly, why on earth do you want to be a size zero?

Secondly, you are at a healthy weight for your height, and even if you do want to lose a bit more, a 2-3lb a week weight loss is far too aggressive. You should be aiming for 1/2lb a week.

Lastly, that is simply not enough food, and while many swear by low carb, I know just as many that have lost weight while eating plenty of carbs.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You're not overweight enough to make 2lb a week a reasonable prospect. In fact you area reasonable weight unless you're only 3' tall or something.

Why do you feel you need to lose weight? Are your clothes too tight? Or do you just feel you've been eating unhealthily?

If you're sure you want to lose:

1. set your MFP target to 1/2lb per week
    2. Eat a healthy balanced diet within your calorie goal - I find it easiest to set to sedentary, log my exercise and eat back my calories as otherwise I risk eating exercise calories I haven't earned:blushing:
    3. Have some fun - its your vacation!
  • frailforfall
    Options
    I always thought everyone had their own weight loss or goal weights. My goal weight is not below the healthy end of the BMI chart. I have weighed less than I do now, and I would like to get back to that. I was wearing size 2s at that time. Even if I may be in the healthy range at 143lbs, I think like that's too much for me. I am at a bmi of 23.8 and would feel far more comfortable, confident and happier at one of 19.5.
  • bramos1990
    bramos1990 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi am also in college and have heard of this.
    I have started only eating complex carbs and it makes a big difference.
    you can google what complex carbs are versus simple carbs if you don't know what I am talking about. Good luck with your diet and wish you success.
  • vickyjane1710
    vickyjane1710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hi, i have been on a plateau for over a month - last week i adjusted my carbs to 50% on MFP (they had been at 55% beforehand) and let the protein and fat adjust as they would. this week i lost over 2lb. it seems to be working for me, so far