hotel living and more than full-time job!

Options
:sad:

Does anyone have any tips about coping with a very busy life!! Hotel living 2/3 days per week, and 14 hour days Mon-Fri. I do use the gym at the hotel but its very sparse and very hot, but I find it exhausting after a long day at the office. I'm looking for a few tips I can try as I am desperately trying to lose weight and get myself fit after a debilitating illness at the beginning of the year. Any tips anyone?

Thanks

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    No need to exercise really. Especially if you're already pressed for time.

TDEE - 20% is all you need. Plan your meals and you're golden. Oh, and don't give up, that never works.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - focus on the food more than the exercise at this point. I don't know where you're staying but I find most hotel gyms to be less than adequate (as well as hot and stuffy!)

Do you have a fridge in your room? microwave? is it feasible for you to bring food from home, or at least stock up on heatlhy options from a local supermarket?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, no gym needed.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

TDEE - 20% is all you need. Plan your meals and you're golden. Oh, and don't give up, that never works.

this

try and go for a walk in your lunch break, do some exercise at the weekend, but you dont have to exercise.
  • jamesha100
    jamesha100 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am from the UK and spend quite a bit of time in hotels myself. The only facilities the rooms have is a kettle so I am limited in what I can prepare and the hotel menus tend to lack healthy options.

What has worked for me has been taking porridge pots which just need boiling water to prepare. This is the brand that I use:

http://quaker.co.uk/products/oat-so-simple-pots

There are various flavours all at approx 215 calories.

I also sometimes by a pack of green leafy salad and eat it in a bowl with some balsamic vinegar - minimal calories and actually quite satisfying.

It is quite boring eating in my room but is a lot quicker than sitting in the restaurant waiting to be served, pay the bill etc.

I use the time saved to have a short walk.

Hope this helps
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi Gizmo!!!

I know where you are at - I travel for about 50-60% of my time for work and when I do they are massively long days, like you. I am also a woman and so I know that when you work 15 hours a day - walking outside after dark or in a different town or country may not be an option ... and how hard it is to control your intake when you have no control over your menu choices, either because they are on a menu or provide through corporate functions...

In short it is, (and yep I'm also an Aussie so I can say this) BLOODY HARD WORK and a lot of planning - but it is DOABLE!!!

Happy to be friends and share some travel tales and tips and happy to give you some contextualised ideas (e.g. depending on where you are travel, types of options you have etc).

Donna
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com has a good body weight circuit routine designed for use in hotel rooms. I often use it when I have to travel for work.
  • gizmo1166
    gizmo1166 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    WOW...thanks for all your responses, I'll have a look at the links and I do also use the oats so simple pots but it is like eating cardboard!!

Feeling motivated and just as well as going to states on holiday in 12 days, so a last minute push will be just the job. I'll try the salad and balsamic, can use a fridge in office but not usually in room so options are limited and if i go to the shops on way to hotel always buy wrong things!!! Doh!

Any more tips are welcome and I'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks just remembered why this site is soo good!!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    How about getting up early and using the gym before breakfast? It might be cooler. Or (if feasible) walk from the hotel to your apointments (if necessary take your heels in a bag and walk in trainers).

Main thing is to watch the food though - especially when you're tired is so easy to say "I've earned this and the wine to go with it" and before you know where you are you're the wrong side of a huge pudding as well :wink:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is very important,,a nice walk does the trick.
  • gizmo1166
    Options
    What does TDDE stand for.
  • gizmo1166
    Options

what does TDEE - 20% mean?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

TDEE is total daily energy expended, aka maintenance calories. It's an alternative method to figuring out calories. Does yourself a favor and since you haven't plateaued yet, just set your account to 1 - 1.5 lb per week and set your activity right. Additionally, if you exercise, just eat back 50% of your exercise calories if you do workout. Additionally, I would suggest change your macro's though (under custom set up) to around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. Fats and protein are huge when it comes to satiety.

Side note, Nike just came out with a free app that is pretty cool.. it's called nike fitness club, you should check it out. In fact, i was just talking to a fellow member about it and I thought this would be perfect for those who travel.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) quantifies the number of calories your body burns in its idle state. It is a stricter form of Resting Metabolic Rate, measuring calorie consumption in complete inactivity, about 12 hours after your last meal. See RMR description for more information.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/bmr-calculator.html
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I would start with the link above. It'll answer alot of the question you have regarding the lingo used.

For hotel stays, I run in the morning & use resistance bands for my evening workout.

Enjoy :-)
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Maybe a slightly different spin on this, but i used to work in hotels, and as a regular / long stay guest, no matter what standard of hotel, you should be able to request a lot of things for free to make your stay more comfortable.

We used to have all sorts of things requested and 'the customer is always right' is a mantra used in hotels more than any other industry!

Ask for a mini fridge. Ask for knives / bowls / a food processor. Ask for a yoga matt / spare dumbells from the gym etc.

Then store your own food, make smoothies, soups etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a spare microwave

Also agree that resistance bands could be a great way to exercise with limited space / facilities - maybe even worth asking if the hotel have any - I know a lot of gyms in hotels look small and limited, but often there are PT's who use them as they tend to be quite quiet, so they may have some bits and pieces put away just in case.

Hope this helps!
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Get out and take a walk or go swimming and tred water or something outside. Being inside an office and than being inside a gym can be very unmotivating.

MFP has calorie counts for all kinds of food places so don't be afraid to explore your options before going somewhere, also a bit of planning ahead might be in order. Like the others have said, check to see if the hotel can make accommodations for you they usually can, especially if you stay in the same ones regularly like you do. Don't be afraid to get creative with it.
  • gizmo1166
    Options
    To all of you who gave me tips and advice....thank you soooooo much. Had a brilliant week got myself organised, took food with me and used gym at hotel. Think it is a state of mind thing, and your good tips were great motivation. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    5:2 is good for creating a calorie deficit as well as the health benefits it comes with. With a busy life it should be easier.

Most hotels in the states have gyms...but if you're not feeling like hopping on a machine, take a jillian michaels dvd with you and work out right in your hotel room. you dont need much room. Its ONLY 20 min. and it REALLY kicks your butt! and honestly youll get a way better work out than on a treadmill or an elliptical