What to do with Ground Beef?

Options

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Throw it out and buy chicken breast instead, way better for you :wink:

Of course it is, but sometimes you need variety!! I used to HATE chicken because that's all my mom made, every single night. No matter how many different ways you cook it or flavor it, chicken is chicken. And trying to cook healthy cuts out a LOT of ways to prepare it.

Plus, many of us do have men in our lives that like their meat!! I know I sure do!!

As to the original question, I find a similar problem. I don't make hamburger helper anymore, and you can only make sauce so much (which is what I generally do). I don't like Mexican/anything spicy, so I'm hoping that some people have good ideas! =)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not dissing, here's ,the problem I find with ground beef recipes, this is just my opinion. For some strange reason people find the need to make it as unhealthy as possible, just seems to be the nature of the beast. I'm seeing posts for a tater tot casserole? For real??? people actually still eat those things, balls of saturated fat, with zero nutrional value. Try to nix the white potatoes as well, that shepherds pie can be made so many different ways, and always halve the meat in it, if you're using ground beef,. and ground turkey and chicken can actually be higher in fat for you then some lean ground beefs. I make my guys suffed cabbage leaves with ground chicken breast, youcould use beef if you HAVE to :laugh: Mix it in with mushrooms, red peppers, brown rice tomatoes and a litte sauce, precook the cabbage, and roll up cabbage roll style, drizzle the tomatoe sauce over top and bake, my daughter puts cheese in hers, but I don't eat cheese so i leave it out,..very tasty.
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "Pizza Burgers"...........

Make your hamburger like sloppy joes, then add tomato sauce (pizza sauce). Pile on top of a split english muffin. Top with low-fat cheese....

The kids love these!
  • jessican88
    Options
    Hobo dinners!! cook up the ground beef in frying pan and fry up some potatos onions and green bell peppers in another mix them together when done and add you favorite seasoning to it! DELICIOUS!! XD
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually make a quick and easy lasagna, i got it from the Kraft website. All that is needed is 1 Lb beef, 3 cups pasta sauce, 1 cup water, cheese and ready to cook noodles.
    Brown the beef, add it, the water and a handful of cheese (about 3/4 cup) to the sauce. Layer with the noodles in a pan and cover with cheese. Bake for 35 minutes or until the noodles are tender. The recipe calls for 1 cup of cheese in it. and 1/2 cup on it, but i put less in and more on. I usually use all of a store brand package of pre-shredded . They are smaller than the Kraft packages.
    I could not find any calorie notations on the website, so I put the recipe on here, and it says each slice is about 230 calories (i usually cut it in about 8, i use a large pan), the link is below.

Oh, i see most saying to use ground turkey...is it the same price or cheaper / more expensive than ground beef? I have never looked at it as i presumed it was more expensive, and in order to afford beef, i buy it in bulk when it is on sale and freeze it in small portions.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipes/deliciously-easy-lasagnes-85151.aspx
  • davidcookfan
    davidcookfan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    there is alot to do with ground beef. i am in the same boat as you. but farmer's pie and tacos are good. I used to do weight watchers and they used to say that salsa is a fat burner. I get the Kraft book. if you get it there is reciepe for farmer's pie but instead of white or yellow potatoes the reciepe calls for sweet potatoes.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup

1 large can of stewed tomatoes
    1 large can or I use the plastic bags of sauerkraut
    2 lbs of browned ground beef
    1 onion, chopped

About 30 minutes before serving add the following:
    1 large can of tomato sauce
    1 Medium head of chopped cabbage

This is a great cold weather recipe. To make it healthier and lower in sodium you can use fresh tomatoes in place of the canned and ground turkey instead of ground beef. I haven't actually figured the calories but it's got to be pretty low.
  • wannabthatgirl
    Options
    Thanks too all!

I realize that ground beef isn't the healthiest choice. Chicken, ground turkey etc. is much much healthier. However because this is what my family enjoys I was just looking to see if anyone did have any healthy ideas when I did make it. But as I seen and as message ground beef just really doesnt accompany very healthy meals-typically!

cheers
  • sandara
    Options
    Here's another easy recipe. It makes a fairly large casserole so I usually split it into 2 pans and freeze one for later. You can also add a package of Taco mix to the meat while cooking but it will raise the sodium if you add it.

Mexican Casserole

1 lb ground hamburger (or turkey or chicken)
    1/2 package shredded Jack Cheese (or low fat cheese)
    6 tortillas (use low carb tortillas to reduce calories)
    1 can black beans
    1 can corn
    1/2 chopped onion (optional)
    1 can cream of chicken soup (or low fat version)
    1 can Rotel

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 12 pan.

Cook the hamburger and onions. Mix the two cans
    of black beans and corn together. Mix the can of Rotel with
    the cream of chicken soup.

Layer the pan in the following order:

bean and corn mixture
    hamburger
    1/2 of the cheese
    tortillas

Repeat layering until all ingredients are used. Pour the
    Rotel/chicken soup mixture on top of the last layer of
    tortillas.

Bake for 30 minutes.
  • sandara
    Options
    Thanks too all!

I realize that ground beef isn't the healthiest choice. Chicken, ground turkey etc. is much much healthier. However because this is what my family enjoys I was just looking to see if anyone did have any healthy ideas when I did make it. But as I seen and as message ground beef just really doesnt accompany very healthy meals-typically!

cheers

Wal-mart sells extra-lean ground beef that is only 4% fat and 150 calories for 4 ounces. Not bad at all.
  • sarahjo79
    Options
    Mix it up with cinnamon, chilli, garlic, curry powder, tumeric and some fennel, roll into little balls, grill or fry with frylight and make a kofta curry using passata for the sauce and dribble with low fat natural yoguhurt......just over 300 calories a serving and yummy!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I'm not dissing, here's ,the problem I find with ground beef recipes, this is just my opinion. For some strange reason people find the need to make it as unhealthy as possible, just seems to be the nature of the beast. I'm seeing posts for a tater tot casserole? For real??? people actually still eat those things, balls of saturated fat, with zero nutrional value. Try to nix the white potatoes as well, that shepherds pie can be made so many different ways, and always halve the meat in it, if you're using ground beef,. and ground turkey and chicken can actually be higher in fat for you then some lean ground beefs. I make my guys suffed cabbage leaves with ground chicken breast, youcould use beef if you HAVE to :laugh: Mix it in with mushrooms, red peppers, brown rice tomatoes and a litte sauce, precook the cabbage, and roll up cabbage roll style, drizzle the tomatoe sauce over top and bake, my daughter puts cheese in hers, but I don't eat cheese so i leave it out,..very tasty.

FOR REAL question here........what makes ground turkey or chicken any better than low fat beef? I swear, I read every package in the meat case and besides the turkey sausage (which has like 1 g of fat less, but isnt loaded with nitrates) I could not find a reason to eat the bird instead of the beast.

I truly would like to know because if I am missing a healthy reason, I will switch PRONTO!!

But I will STILL make me sheps pie :wink: :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Mix it up with cinnamon, chilli, garlic, curry powder, tumeric and some fennel, roll into little balls, grill or fry with frylight and make a kofta curry using passata for the sauce and dribble with low fat natural yoguhurt......just over 300 calories a serving and yummy!

now this is different................got to try this
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Has anyone looked into using ground bison? It is very low in fat, high in protein and very good tasting.

Venison is good as well, and depending on where you live and who you know, free of cost.
  • JoleneYG
    Options
    I like cooking up ground beef w/taco spice and then adding it to my salads. You can get low sodium spice, which taste awesome, actually I find it tastes alot better than the original. Its nice to if you buy you beef from a farmer rather than the store, when you take it in you can choose how lean you want it :). I also like mixing mushroom soup with g.beef and spreading it over potatoes....Mmmmmm
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked into using ground bison? It is very low in fat, high in protein and very good tasting.

Venison is good as well, and depending on where you live and who you know, free of cost.
    I like Bison, it's very expensive to buy it here though!
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I like Bison, it's very expensive to buy it here though!

I use bison whenever I can, but I agree, it has gotten very expensive! When I first started buying it about three years ago, it was $4.99 per pound. Now, I'm finding it for $6.99 per pound! However, that being said...the last time I bought it at Costco, it came in a double pack (of 1 pound each pack), and it was around $9.59. Just as an FYI, I found this:

"Studies have shown that bison is very high in iron and protein, yet it is lower in cholesterol, calories and fat than beef, chicken and pork. In fact, bison has one third less cholesterol and fat than even boneless chicken breasts!"
  • tinyliz
    tinyliz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    throw it away! switch to ground turkey... immediatly:noway:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Thanks too all!

cheers

I use ground sirloin instead. You have to watch the ground turkey. Not all of it is lower in fat. Also, sometimes you just want some red meat, and no amount of chicken or turkey or whatever is going to replace it.