BEANS--which kind?

Options
enkennon
enkennon Posts: 161 Member
Which is better? Canned beans ( blegh! hate em), bagged beans you boil yourself or frozen beans..

Which kinds of beans do you love the best?!

Replies

• knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I looove making them myself, getting the liquid flavor just right and eating them fresh :) But canned will do in a cinch.... for protein, not pleasure >.<
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Canned beans are often more convenient but loaded with sodium.

Dried beans take a little more planning but, in my opinion, are tastier and have a better texture than canned (and are dirt cheap if you buy the bigger bags....)
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes the sodium is horrible! almost as bad as canned soups. But I never buy cans unless it's Goya Pink Beans for my dominican rice and beans. i can't stand the metallic taste of the other varieties. I am definitely going to try the bag. Last time i tried cooking kidney beans I burned the crap out of them so I'll have to try again. lol
  • kalika47
    kalika47 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My favourite? The ones I pick out of my garden and freshly steam!!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Beans beans, musical fruit, the more you eat- the more you toot!

With that said, I'm partial to lima and black beans. Delicious.
  • Amazonbella
    Amazonbella Posts: 338
    Options
    Old El Paso Fat Free Refried Beans, those are the only ones that I will really eat :)
  • Rebecca_87
    Rebecca_87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Dried. You have more control over sodium intake that way.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    BLACK ARE BEST
    once you go black,
    you never go back.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had organic kidney beans as part of my lunch each day this week
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    ****loads in a crockpot or roaster oven overnight. Freeze the leftovers for quick, convenient use later.

Toss some chorizo in there with them toward the end -- soy chorizo if you want to avoid some cals and fat.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I usually make my beans from dried beans. Soak them overnight, then cook them in the crock pot on low while I'm at work all day. Easy, cheap, and tasty. You can flavor them any way you like.

I do used canned beans for some recipes, but I get the no salt added kind.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I prefer to cook dried beans but usually keep a couple cans around for convenience.
    FYI you do not HAVE to soak your beans for hours before cooking, they'll just take a little longer to cook and I think pre soaked have better texture.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Dried are best made in a slow cooker. I use recipes off skinnytaste.com. I then freeze extras and they are just as tasty once thawed in refrigerator.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Lima and broad beans are my favourite. I love mixing them up (with a couple other ingredients) to make a brown rice bean "salad". Dried taste better and are super cheap, if you can bear the hassle of cooking them (which I do when I'm watching tv or something that doesn't require a lot of attention). Using a slow cooker would be nice and easy too, but I haven't got one :(
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    Dried beans from bulk section of the natural food store or coop cheap and great. My electric pressure cooker is the best appliance on the planet as it makes justifying a canned bean purchase impossible.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had frozen beans except for limas, and I like them (except the baby limas bleh!)

I'm not much of a meal planner so I use canned beans frequently. But I also like and use dried beans when I have the time.

I'm not picky. I eat beans nearly every day.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Beans beans, musical fruit, the more you eat- the more you toot!

With that said, I'm partial to lima and black beans. Delicious.

The more you toot, the better you'll feel, so eat your beans at every meal!

Hahahahaha! I grew up eating beans cooked from scratch. I pick a "bean of the week" and cook a pound on Sundays and that's what I have for lunches & salads throughout the week. I love me some Great Northerns with just salt & pepper!
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    coffee.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Meh!! I don't track sodium so I buy canned... I prefer Black beans first and foremost then great Northern, Navy, and Cannellini beans in that order....
  • chileheadmike
    chileheadmike Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been ordering from Rancho Gordo. Great beans, and the fresher the better. They seem to cook up faster than the dried beans I get in the store.

http://www.ranchogordo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RG&Category_Code=DHAHB4