I don't want to run...entertaining my thoughts

I've read a lot of profiles on here that brag and boast about how thier goals are to run a 5k, or a marathon, or run whatever.... like running is the ultimate goal for them.

Which I'm not bashing, good for them, really if they enjoy running great!

But I dont' care to, unless I'm being chased by a wild beast that intends to do vile harm to me. Even then I suppose I'd pull out my .45 and make them my dinner....back on subject, I don't care to run, ever.

So I what's my goal going to be in a pool full of runners?

My goal is to be able to do what those who never diet do.... eat what I want when I want, and still be thinner.....I don't know how they do it, but that's my goal. lol (ok so a little sarcasm there)

Does anyone else feel the same way sometimes? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    You don't have to run, you don't have to do any type of exercise to lose weight. As long as you are eating at a deficit of calories, the weight should go down. Of course it is a good idea to be active, but running doesn't have to be the only option. Cardio work outs are great for your heart, but I highly recommend focusing on strength training to burn fat and improve body composition.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I've read a lot of profiles on here that brag and boast about how thier goals are to run a 5k, or a marathon, or run whatever.... like running is the ultimate goal for them.

Which I'm not bashing, good for them, really if they enjoy running great!

But I dont' care to, unless I'm being chased by a wild beast that intends to do vile harm to me. Even then I suppose I'd pull out my .45 and make them my dinner....back on subject, I don't care to run, ever.

So I what's my goal going to be in a pool full of runners?

My goal is to be able to do what those who never diet do.... eat what I want when I want, and still be thinner.....I don't know how they do it, but that's my goal. lol (ok so a little sarcasm there)

Does anyone else feel the same way sometimes? :flowerforyou:

No, I never feel that way, I just like to run.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    YEP! YOU GO!
    DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    So you don't want to run? Cool. There are plenty of other activities. If the goal is weight loss, you can do that through a calorie deficit, but if you want to improve fitness, you will have to find something that gets you moving :smile: and it will help if you enjoy it.
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    I find scale based goals depressing - I don't want to be defined by the number on the scale. So I have "Fitness Goals" instead, I figure that if I meet my fitness goals and eat a healthy diet in order to fuel myself efficiently then the weight will come off as I go.
    One of my fitness goals is to run - I set distance goals, I set time goals.

Oh and I don't Love running - but damn I feel good when Im done! :drinker:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Then don't run.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Never say never :wink:. It was only 7 months ago that I said I had absolutely no desire whatsoever to run. . . . not true anymore :smile:.

Not that you have to run - but it's a great idea to stay active. Do what you love. And add a little lifting to whatever that is, because bone density is our friend as we age.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I don't run, either. I have bad knees and it is damaging to them. I do yoga, walk, and ride a bike. DH has health problems that make exercise difficult for him, but he's lost weight and is down a clothes size. We've been on this path since last fall. I've lost 50 pounds and he's lost 29. We both feel healthier and are doing better with nearly all aspects of life. We do eat what we want, when we want, but in smaller quantities. We have dropped some foods for heath reasons, and have others in small portions as occasional treats. Portion control is the key to the kingdom. Good luck to you.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If you don't want to run, don't run. No need to make up strange stories about bears, or even think further about it. Plenty of people don't run.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I don't like to run either. In fact, when I came here I had no desire to do anything called exercise. But I realized that it was necessary to exercise to build the body I want. I was at my perfect weight about 5 years ago and wasn't satisfied. Then I gained weight and came here. I did just diet alone and realized that I was not going to get the body I want, so I tried some different things for exercise until I found something that I will do. At first I had to make myself do it. Now there are some days I would rather not do it, but I do it anyway.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    So you don't want to run? Cool. There are plenty of other activities. If the goal is weight loss, you can do that through a calorie deficit, but if you want to improve fitness, you will have to find something that gets you moving :smile: and it will help if you enjoy it.
    This.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I understand. A long time ago, I categorized the two types of skinny people: the ones who lived on yogurt and the ones who run 15 miles a week. Now that's an oversimplification, but it made sense to me at the time.

This didn't make me start running, but I got physically active in a number of different arenas to help keep me on track without deprivation. I hated running. Could never be a runner. Not physically adapted for it.

A decade and two babies later my needs changed. No free time. Need to get good cardio workout in with a stroller. I picked up a Couch to 5k app and never looked back. Ran a 10k in June. It was awesome.

You might want to read the blog GoKaleo.com for inspiration on becoming fit without deprivation.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    I hated running when I started and I actually still hate running 80-90% of the time. Every race/event I do, I ask myself at least 10 times why I decided to pull my butt out of bed super early and pay someone money to make myself miserable.

I do love the feeling I have after running though. I'm not sure when or how it happened but somehow running became a very significant stress reliever for me. Being able to stuff my face with food and not gain weight is also a nice benefit, but it's the stress relief and the feeling of accomplishment I get for doing something I have to push my body hard for makes me go back out every day.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    I honestly don't believe anyone in their 30's + ever "eats what they want" and is still thin, especially if it'sa woman. All of my friends that maintain a good "physique" are either gym rats, exercise obsessed or watch every morsel that goes into their mouth. If they don't, they gain.

I think the secret is finding the balance between eating what you like and eating TOO much of it. And also finding an exercise that you honestly enjoy. I have yet to find something I can do year round that I love. I love walking outside and hiking, but in OH you can typically only get outside on "nice" days about 30 times a year. Either it's stupid hot, humid, or REALLY cold and I'm not "hard core". I hate the gym, I really hate classes. I'm not wild about dvd's. And I'm like you, the only place I'm running is either to food or away from a large animal and I'd probably get eaten because I'm REALLY slow. I'm able to maintain my weight by diet, but I know it's not healthy to not get exercise too. I think we honestly are all just trying to figure it out!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    I look at food, and I gain weight. My husband and my Mother-in-law can live off chips, doughnuts, ice cream and not gain an ounce ... so don't tell me they don't exist and unfortunately (or fortunately cause I love them both) they live with me.

I hate to run ... I hated it when I was a Marine and could run all day without pain ... I hate it now and it causes me great pain. I have no desire to run ... one of the big attractions to running is it is something you can do without buying a lot of special equipment. Yes if you are a gear head (which I freely admit to being. I love to buy gear) you can find things to spend money on and have fun spending it too. However, you can run in old shorts and your old tennies if you want.

Here's a test what sounds more impressive to the non-endurance athlete? A Marathon or a Triathlon, I have competed in triathlons when I tell that to people they are unimpressed, however they were way impressed with my 10K Cooper River Bridge Run ... go figure. So when people start thinking about doing challenging things their heads go to running. Not me ... I want to ride my bicycle 200 miles in a day, and I will next month :wink:
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member

This was my favorite resource when I was training for my Triathlon. Jayne Williams is my hero!
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    I used to hate running as well. But originally I had the same goal as you (eat what I want, when I want and still be thin) and I found that running was the cheapest, least time consuming, most flexible, easiest-to-do-with-a-baby avenue for achieving my goal. Now I have other fitness goals, but in the beginning I was you. And where I live in the desert it is 110 degrees by 8:30AM, so I still hate running most days, but I don't hate it more than I hate dieting, so I keep plodding along.