is it healthy to workout every day?

Options
Hi I was just wondering if it is healthy for you and your muscles to work out everyday. This can include cardio, strength (like jillian michaels 30 day shred), or any type of stretching. I just wanted to know whether to work out everyday or every other day...Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I dont know why it would be harmful to exercise
  • lizrha
    lizrha Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just because I've read that sometimes, you overwork your muscles and can then delay fitness goals. I don't really know though, which is why I'm asking haha
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I see no harm in working out 6 days a week, but part of how your body builds muscle is through recovery time, so it's helpful physically (and mentally) to have a day off once a week. Lets your joints rest too.
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    I dont think it is really unhealthy to work out, as long as you mix it up. You do have to give your body a rest from what I understand. Maybe sometimes walking, or yoga or something not always intense and high impact.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just wondering if it is healthy for you and your muscles to work out everyday. This can include cardio, strength (like jillian michaels 30 day shred), or any type of stretching. I just wanted to know whether to work out everyday or every other day...Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Muscle builds lactic acid after a work out , you should give your muscles and body in general a rest so they can heal properly, specially if you do weight training. I usually don't go to the gym on weekends, but I excercise in the pool or when the weather allows it, I take a long walk outside. I use the weekend to do gardening or house cleaning, which is also a workout.

By changing my excercise routine and taking a break, I also reduce boredom and keep my motivation up.
  • starstealing
    Options
    By changing my excercise routine and taking a break, I also reduce boredom and keep my motivation up.

this is why i don't work out every day. :)
  • iDoc
    iDoc Posts: 8
    Options
    I like to take a day off from more intense workout activities to play active games on the Wii! It keeps me moving and has a different purpose than my regular workouts. It reminds me that being active can also primarily be so much fun.
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually work out 6 days a week and recover one day a week. I don't just sit or lay around that recover day but I don't work out hard either. The main thing is to follow what your body is telling you. Hope you the best of luck! :happy:
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I honestly dont read or listen to what the internet says.....I, in my opinion, feels as if my body will tell me if its too much....there are days i can go and go and go with out resting but then there are days where my body says, "I'M TIRED".....I listen to my body....Yes even if it rest, i still work out 6 days a week, i have learned that 6 days dont burn me out, I have done a full week at times as well, but normally after working, coaching, raising 3 kids etc, my body tells me i need 1 day break a week.....Listen to your body and pay attention to what it needs.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    I think it is very important to work out at least six days a week if you are looking to make big changes in your body. It is also important to make sure those six days are not all focusing on the same body parts. Mixing it up allows certain parts to rest. I think anythign less that six days a week will not help you make the changes you desire.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can really answer that for you....and I am sure there a million textbook answers, but Iam just going to give you my opinion....I don't workout 7 days a week (and I mean real workout, not going for a leisure walk or something light) I do 3-4 days a week because, do you really think you are going to be able to MAINTAIN that for the rest of your life?? If you are just trying to loose weight for a certain occassion then rushing it may be the answer, but if this is a lifetime change, you need to be realistic for the long haul.......again, just my opinion....
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body - I typically feel much better if I do *something* every day - but that may mean that I just do a light 20-30 min. walk on my rest days. There may be a day here and there when my body tells me it really does need to just rest all day - but that doesn't happen very often. I do try and have at least one day in between weight lifting sessions, though, or work different sets of muscles if there's not a day in between.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    It is very healthy to work out every day. When you are doing weights just make sure you rest a day in between to rest the muscles. I do weights every day.

I do lower body weights M W F

I do upper body weights Tu Th and Sat or Sun.

I do cardio and abs 5 to 6 days a week.

Some professionals recommend one day rest and others do not. I am not sure which is true but I really do not think it is unhealthy to exercise everyday for sure. When I can I do exercise 7 days a week I do but that is rare. I feel with my knee issues one day rest is sensible. But if you are young, do what you feel is reasonable. Good luck to you!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    The trainer at the gym said the important part is to give the various muscle groups a rest. So I was given cardio every day but I do strength training one day upper body, next day lower, etc. Now I don't go EVERY day.... mix it up and don't do the same thing every day and I think you will be fine. If your body feels sore and sluggish..that may be the day to rest.

Good luck!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think you can quite easily get into a 3 or 4 day routine and be happy with it.

I also think you can push yourself to 5 or 6 without any adverse effects.

As most people have said, listen to your body. If it needs a rest, it will tell you.

Having said all that, I do take 1 day off as a minimum.

Maybe if you're new to exercise you should build up slower anyhow?? Your muscles will probably ache a lot at first.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lizrha
    lizrha Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice :)
  • somethingvague
    Options
    It really depends on the person. I do two days on, one day off, two days on...etc. That equals five days a week, which I think is quite enough. For me, if I do it everyday, I burn out and end up not doing it at all.

But like I said, some people work out everyday, some 3 days a week...some none...it's possible to lose weight any of those ways as long as your nutrition is stable.