Ladies, how high can you go on calories while losing weight?

Options
Was it 1200, 1500, 1800, or even 2000?

I would like to know! I realize that everyone is different, but I really am just curious. Activity level included please. I am currently experimenting with different calorie allotments. I work out almost every day, cardio and strength training. I am 18 years old and I am hoping that I could still lose weight by eating about 1600 calories per day with regular exercise. I HATE eating only 1200, that is just to low for me.

My BMR is around 1400 and I have a desk job so without any exercise I am burning around 1700 calories per day just on my own. So if I eat 1600 + do my cardio and strength training I should be losing weight right? I also don't plan on eating my exercise calories back.

So, how high could you go with a steady weight loss (even if it was just a half a pound a week)?

Replies

• CajunTexan33
    CajunTexan33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Let me know when you find out! Think I stay around 1200-1400..but depending on my workouts end up super hungry the next day...not losing anything but have been adding muscle..so I have no idea where I am at! Losing inches though.
  • twentytwentythree
    twentytwentythree Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's going to be completely different for everyone based on height and weight. It's not something you can really compare. Right now I'm eating 1800 calories and losing weight but that number might need to be readjusted in a week or two. It's all about calculating numbers that are right for your body and a lot of experimentation. Aim for a specific caloric goal, work out, track your food intake, and check back in a week or two. If you've not seen any weight loss, you might need to drop your calories down again by 200. Or if your calories are already way too low, that might be the problem and you might want to try and up them another 200 cal.
    Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Technically, you can eat just 50 calories under your TDEE and lose weight. It's slow going that route though. I prefer a deficit about 200-300 calories below TDEE.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I maintained for well over a year on a little over 1900, so for me anything less than that should = fat loss.

ETA: 5'5" 52 yo female
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 per day, and I'm losing. I'm 5'7", btw. Depending on your height, given your activity level, you might well be able to as well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft5 and 130ish pound... I lose bodyfat on net 1800 cals.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    My RMR is 1343 (according to a recent DEXA scan). My maintenance calories are 2150. I try to end each day with a 300-500 calorie deficit and I do eat my exercise calories back. Been losing consistently since starting this journey in February.
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I believe my diary is public, feel free to check it out if you want (weekends are spotty with logging).

If you see a day missing dinner, I almost never skip dinner so... consider it an incomplete logging day.

I think I average around 2,000 - 2,200 calories per day, although I had several days much higher than that. I've lost about 8 pounds since mid-May.

Workouts: I've been doing the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. I'm about 3/4 of the way through Stage 1, so still pretty new at it. I try and do three lifting sessions a week but I think I've been averaging two, and I'm still seeing results. I play ultimate frisbee once per week and run an additional day or two.

Even though I'm eating a lot of calories, I think I'm able to lose consistently so far because I was eating a lot more than that before I started tracking. Just the awareness has made a huge difference. Before starting, I already was a runner/gym rat, although I've become a lot more consistent and mindful of that as well along with my eating.

ETA: Desk job, 5'6", 157 lbs, 26 years old
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you. Everyone your info is really helpful!