Balancing Work/School/Play/Fitness

Options
Hey all,

I currently work full time, have a pretty active social life, and have been working out 3 times a week for the past few months. In September I will be starting school again in the evenings while continuing to work full time. I'm worried that I won't be able to find the time to exercise and I'll gain the weight I'm loosing right back and be back to square one. School and homework seemed to take up a lot of time when I was in school last spring. Any tips or suggestions for balancing it all???

Replies

• thepiratemd
    Options
    its tough. my best advice is to just accept that compromises will have to be made.

I literally only have 30-45 minutes of free time I can allot to exercise a day, without going into time I need for my job/training/work at home/eating/other activities of daily living. Sure I could take that other 20-30 minutes i use to read before bed, to make my workouts longer, but then i'd be a psychological mess (moreso than already!)
    haha

but yea... just accept that you can do you best, but it's never possible to "have it all"
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Cut into your social time to fit a workout in....exercise with a buddy and/or keep eating right!
  • catbyrd
    catbyrd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi,

KelliB3: Don't feel alone. I am going to be in the same boat. I work 40-45 hours a week, am going to be going back to online school on September 1, 20 hours a week, have a 17 and 19 year old at home. The 19 year old has a baby due in September, who will live at the house, and whom I will be babysitting for in the evenings while my daughter works. Then on weekends I watch my older sons kids who are 3 and 6.

So, I completely understand where you are coming from. I try to exercise for at least 30 minutes at least 4 times per week. Make the most of the time you have.

And as thepiratemd said have to have that 30 minutes of reading to relax the mind before bed. Just remember you have to take care of yourself before you can take care of anyone or anything else:smile:

Good luck with school!!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    its tough. my best advice is to just accept that compromises will have to be made.

I literally only have 30-45 minutes of free time I can allot to exercise a day, without going into time I need for my job/training/work at home/eating/other activities of daily living. Sure I could take that other 20-30 minutes i use to read before bed, to make my workouts longer, but then i'd be a psychological mess (moreso than already!)
    haha

but yea... just accept that you can do you best, but it's never possible to "have it all"

As someone who also had to balance work, school and social obligations, this is the best advice I can give too. Don't say yes to everything... you'll have to miss a couple of those coffee dates and if you have group work, make sure the workloads are divided evenly and don't take them all on yourself.
    Try to "mix" obligations whenever you can - either study or go for walks/workouts on lunch breaks or with friends.
    Learn to prioritize so you can be sure to get the things you NEED to do done before you do the things you WANT to do. Finding and being able to make that distinction is very important (not that I was able to do that very well, but it's what I aimed for).

ETA: If you're able to work out before work it actually helps set the tone for a great day! It's hard when you have late nights socializing or studying but I always felt great the days that I worked out in the morning.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    This has been a BIG challenge in my life. I work and have a long commute, plus a social life and trying to date- plus food shopping, cooking and exercising.
    I realized I had to compromise some socializing, I try to exercise in the mornings when I can, it's simpler that way.

Someone mentioned compromising, I agree. Something's gotta give, it's up to you what it will be.

I was seeing someone in Grad school and he told me honestly he didn't have time to date me at the moment-- it stung but I understand, we all gotta do what we gotta do!
    Good luck and keep trying different things until you find what's working for you ;-)
  • kestrel359
    kestrel359 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Its do-able. I work full time in the evenings, go to school for business accounting full time during the days, have a 2 yr old son and still find time to socialize. During spring and fall semesters I was able to get to the gym regularly. Right now I'm having a little trouble because I was crazy enough to do 3 summer courses. You need to be very good of keeping track of your schedule and ready to adjust at a moments notice. Don't spend much time thinking about how much you have to do, just get up and do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I currently work full time, have a pretty active social life, and have been working out 3 times a week for the past few months. In September I will be starting school again in the evenings while continuing to work full time. I'm worried that I won't be able to find the time to exercise and I'll gain the weight I'm loosing right back and be back to square one. School and homework seemed to take up a lot of time when I was in school last spring. Any tips or suggestions for balancing it all???

You're right to be worried. Time is illusive...very difficult to find. You have to take a more proactive approach and make the time. Believe me...when you're trying to "find time" you're always way too busy and it'll never happen. It has to become a part of what you do and who you are just like the social life and going out and what not...you make the time. "I just don't have the time" is just one in a long line of many excuses people use to avoid exercise...I know, I used to use it all of the time. Also...

someone.jpg
  • KelliB3
    KelliB3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You all have made very good points. I've never really considered exercising before work as I already wake up at 6:00 for work...but what's an extra hour right? I'm hoping that the need to exercise will continue to just be part of my regular routine when I start in school again rather than something I make excuses not to do....and walking on my lunch breaks could be a priority rather than reading and relaxing...although this again becomes a challenge in the fall and winter months. I live in Vancouver where it pisses rain from October to April... or am I just making another excuse? Sometimes I think I've got a devil on my shoulder!
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm going through this right now. You have to fit things where you can. My friends know weekends are better for me and weeknights are right out.

I walk during my lunch break so that if I get swamped with homework that night, I won't have to miss a workout. Sometimes I use my lunch break to do homework. I admit I don't get as much sleep as I should, so I'm very, very careful to rest up and pamper myself on the weekends. I know I can't make up for missed sleep, but I figure two days of solid rest is better than zero.