Weight loss without doing weights.

Options
radzer0
radzer0 Posts: 20 Member
I see the term skinny fat around and such. I dont really do any weight exercises but I do an hour a day on the treadmill. Should I still loose weight doing this? It says im burning between 550-600cals. (i know the machines arent 100% accurate)

I used to do nothing but eat alot better and loose weight 2 years ago. Now nothing seems to be helping even with the fact of the extra exercise and i may eat a 250cal meal afterwards.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you want to look "toned", less cardio, more strength/weights.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Losing weight = losing muscle + fat

resistance training helps you maintain as much lean body mass as possible while your weight decreases.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight doing no exercise at all. With MFP there is a deficit built into your calorie goal for weight loss...you eat to that goal and you lose weight; no exercise required. Exercise is extra activity with MFP which is why your calorie goal is increased when you log it...but that's a story for another day.

Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Resistance training shouldn't be ignored while eating at a calorie deficit...resistance training is going to help you maintain what LBM you have...in the absence of such training, you will lose a lot of muscle as well as fat along the way. You're going to look a lot better as you shed fat and your muscles start to show...if they disappear along with the fat, you get "skinnier" but you remain at a higher relative BF%.

In RE to cardio, it should not be ignored either...cardio is just weight lifting for your heart and cardiovascular system. Both elements are important to overall fitness.
  • radzer0
    radzer0 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have ALOT of fat to loose.

Also as far as treadmill. That should keep most of my leg muscles and all in shape on its own shouldnt it? Because I can deff feel the muscle burn in them.

As far as weight loss on a treadmill goes. Ive been told that around 131bpm is the optimal on a treadmill for burning fat vs cardio building (i know it builds cardio still but not as much). Im not trying to get really toned at this point would just like to get down to around 190lb. Which is still above what the dr says my optimal weight should be at 5'9 1/2
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Without resitance training if will be very difficult to cut down your bf% and keeps you lean look.

For example if exercising looses 50/50 fat-lbm adding some strength training will move its to more 70/30 fat to lbm. So if you lose 10lb with resistances training you loosing 7lb fat 3lb muscle, therefore your overall bf% has come down further than if you just lost 50/50 fat to lbm