Restaurant dinner help please!

Options
uwsmama
uwsmama Posts: 31 Member
I am going out to eat for my first time since starting counting calories. I have 1094 left for dinner. I would also like to have a glass of wine with dinner. What do you think my best option would be on this menu? I was leaning toward Chicken Milanese. FYI I don't eat seafood and will be out with a group of people so I don't want to bring attention to my calorie concern by asking a lot of questions to the waiter. Thanks in advance for any help!

http://www.cottanyc.com/menu

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Either of the chicken dishes would probably be fine. Always good to stick with lean protein like chicken when eating out. And since it looks like its a nice place, the portion should be closer to what it actually should be i.e. not like chilis or olive garden's giant out of control portions.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure if Chicken Milanese had a sauce or anything, so I Googled. It looks like it's fried, typically in butter. I think I'd avoid that, personally, although the occasional indulgence isn't the end of the world. I think I'd do the wood-fire chicken, as it seems to me that would be grilled. One glass of wine won't hurt anything, and I think white (which pairs well with poultry) is slightly less caloric than red. One 6 oz. glass will run you between 120-140 calories, I believe.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    The roasted salmon, wood fire chicken, and when it comes down to it, just ask them how something is prepared if you're not sure.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    One night out will not kill the hard work you have put in. If you go over, you go over. Do not sweat it. Enjoy the night and a nice meal out that you dont have to cook.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think I'd do the wood-fire chicken, as it seems to me that would be grilled. One glass of wine won't hurt anything, and I think white (which pairs well with poultry) is slightly less caloric than red. One 6 oz. glass will run you between 120-140 calories, I believe.

^^ This ^^
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm always a fan of the small plates... I'd get chicken spiedini skewer and some polenta.(if you don't like seafood)

From the dinner. anything under secondi looks fine... without seafood, go with woodfire or steak or chicken - nothing wrong with asking for sauce on the side - people do that all the time.

PS if you have 1000 free for dinner you don't have much to worry about lol -- my dinners are usually under 500
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think one of the chicken dishes is the way to go. Have fun!!
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I would steer clear of anything with a sauce on it as they can be full of hundreds of calories. Fish and chicken are pretty safe as long as they are grilled. Grilled Salmon is my go to when eating out as it is always a safe bet. Make sure you ask your waitress if they have any fresh veggies or a dinner salad can be substituted for a pasta side. It doesn't hurt to go out to eat and enjoy yourself without counting calories if it is a once in awhile thing and you get right back to your diet the next day. Have fun and enjoy yourself.
  • fattymacfattass
    Options
    The Chicken Spiedini looks good, with a salad sans croutons and no cream based dressing. With that you could even have two glasses of wine!

It's really hard to count every single calorie when you eat out, so don't stress and enjoy. if you're worried, exercise a little more tomorrow, and you're golden.
  • samonmission
    samonmission Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think one hard meal & glass of wine won't hurt your calorie routine.. go for it and enjoy your evening
  • uwsmama
    uwsmama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies! I know it's ridiculous to be nervous about this and I do appreciate all of your feedback!