Protein sources

Hi there, I have been counting calories for almost 7 weeks now.
I have been sticking to 1200 a day, but have been eating 1200 of absolute junk. I'm now beginning to try and add exercise back I to my life, and realise that this absolute junk food cannot fuel a workout. I also understand there is no point counting calories, if I'm just gonna snack all day on rubbish.
I'm planning on aiming for roughly 45/35/20 proteins/carbs/fat but as I try and plan meals I really struggle to reach 1200 calories worth. I know this sounds absurd as I've obviously been overeating by 1000s of calories a day for years to get to this stage. My main question is can anyone recommend any good sources of protein and suggest some meal ideas please?

Sorry for the spiele, but yeah, I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer me :)

Replies

• Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    45/35/20 proteins/carbs/fat ??
    where did you get these ratios? try cutting carbs to no more than 10-15%, say less than 50 grams of carbs per day. the rest from fats and proteins. Protein sources include meats (all kinds), eggs, cheeses. stay away from milk and yogurt (carb count too high). eliminate fruit and fruit juices (carb count too high, pure sugar). NO grain, (wheat, rice, corn, millet, rye, spelt, quinoa), potatoes, sugar, HFCS) etc. what carbs you get you get from green vegetables, not starchy vegetables. Good sources of fat include nuts and avocadoes and eggs.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Canned tuna fish is high in protein, and cheap.

If you want a good breakfast/post-workout meal, try my delicious shake recipe!

1 Cup Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk
    1 Cup Unsweetened Frozen Berries
    1 Scoop of protein powder.

Decent amount of protein, low on calories, and super delicious.

Chicken breast is an obvious thing to eat. Use whatever spices you like (I like indian or southwest), and a sweet potato.

I have no idea where Binkie got his macro percentage, that's kinda nuts, unless you want to do a keto/south beach/atkins style diet. Your percentages sound good to me.
  • lkgarza
    lkgarza Posts: 56 Member
    Yes, I think posting a question like this will get you all sorts of ideas on what your macros should be at, but you have to do research for yourself and try out different things to see how your body responds and what fits with your lifetyle. This has to be something you can maintain and is in line with your goals.

protein sources I enjoy....chicken, salmon, tuna, ground turkey, beans, quinoa, fage 0%, protein powder (non gmo, natural ingredients, no artificial sweetner)

Good luck!!
  • Could you suggested a decent protein powder. I make my own smoothies in the morning but not sure what type to add, does it change the flavor of the smoothie when you do? Thanks for you help :)
  • I'm not aiming for a low carb diet. Just trying to tinker around with percentages to see what's best to keep me fueled for workouts/ burn fat. When I do low carb I feel terrible after a few days.

Thanks for all the protein suggestions :)