Am I Drinking Enough Water?

Options
I try to drink one bottle of water per day. I usually can never get myself to drink more than that. I don't drink anything else except for coffee or tea the days I need caffeine (haven't had either the past two weeks). Recently I've been drinking two bottles of water on the days I work both of my jobs... but that's not an every day occurrence. I just don't feel thirsty enough to drink more... when I try to force it, I feel sick.

Is my 16.9 or so ounces a day enough for me? I'm 5'0" & about 125lbs. I've always had an issue with drinking liquids. For YEARS as a child... I never drank ANYTHING. Except for an occasional soda. Or a chocolate milk at school if I didn't bring a lunch. I remember my mom always giving me my dinner & asking if I wanted something to drink with it. She'd always give me such a weird look when I said no. I NEVER drank water, except out of the hose during summer. This was probably from age 5 to 9. I think by then I started drinking more soda and other unhealthy drinks (although still not enough).

I told my boyfriend this story & he told me it's impossible. I would've died from not having any liquids for two weeks straight... & not having enough liquid in those four years overall. I never realized that he should be right until I thought about it a little... I don't know how, but it happened & I survived!! It's easier for me to drink liquids now, but it's still hard to drink ENOUGH. I'm 20 years old.

If anyone has any ideas as to why I'm like this, please tell me!!
My main question, though, is am I drinking enough water having 16.9 ounces a day?
I usually don't drink anything besides that one water bottle per day.
Today I actually had half a cup of milk, a rare occurrence!!

EDIT: I LOVE the taste of water. I rarely ever have the desire to flavor my water. I can't drink very much of ANYTHING. I don't eat enough fruits or veggies, at least not this month. If anyone could tell me why I feel sick when I force myself to drink more water, or why I don't feel thirsty, that'd be great.

Replies

• getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    How many fruits and veggies are you eating?? Since fruits and veggies contain tons of water on their own, they can eliminate thirst and make you not want to drink as much water. However, I really do not think you are drinking enough. On an average day, I will drink AT LEAST 4 - 5 bottles of water. Have you ever tried putting a little crystal light into your water? It makes it al ot tastier and sweeter. Or you could try squeezing some lemon juice in your water to make it more enjoyable.

Drinking water is so good for your skin, hair, and overall health. I don't know what would make you this way... unless you really do eat many veggies and fruits which could make you feel less thirsty.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Water is essential for life. If you don't get enough liquids, you will get kidney infections and other problems. It will also affect your immune system, your brain, and every other area in your body.

No, 2 cups a day isn't enough. Are you getting liquids in other ways, like milk on cereal? If you don't like the taste of plain water, there are a million different ways to flavor it, from lemon slices, to cucumber slices, to other fruit, to powdered things you can buy.
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have always heard 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day. Now I hear you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day...so for me that is currently 108 oz a day ...or 13 cups.

I found this posted by the Mayo Clinic as well :
    Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.
  • FrankieB127
    FrankieB127 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for water consumption is 1 C. for every 10 pounds of weight. If you weigh 125 pounds, you should be drinking about 12, 8 oz glasses of water a day.
  • Caelrr
    Caelrr Posts: 26
    Options
    No. I love the taste of water. I have no need of flavoring it.
    I force myself to drink at least a bottle of water a day, even if I'm not thirsty.
    I stop after that, though, unless I'm thirsty.

When I've tried forcing myself to drink more, I feel really REALLY sick.
    I get a headache & feel really nausea.
    I also get really shaky & feel pain in my stomach.
    I can eat a lot, but if I have a lot of liquid it hurts. ):
    My throat hurts a lot when I drink liquids, too, although I usually ignore that.

Any idea why I feel sick when forcing more than a bottle of water?
    Or maybe why I'm not thirsty?
    Or whether or not I should force myself to drink more water, despite the pain?
  • cbluna
    cbluna Posts: 26
    Options
    My mom has always had this same issue, and to date, no reasonable explanation can be found. She finds drinking with food much easier than drinking something alone, but even with food, it can be a struggle...sometimes half of a diet coke or glass of iced tea. Interested to hear if anyone responds that has a reason why this is the case for some folks.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No
  • Caelrr
    Caelrr Posts: 26
    Options
    Oh Gosh! I'm not the only one!! That's a relief... well sort of. It's not a good thing that someone can't get enough liquids. Hopefully your mom is healthy, even with this issue!! (:
  • JustDeena
    JustDeena Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The best way to tell if you are well hydrated (and hydration can come from foods just as much as it does liquid), is by the color of your urine. As crazy as it sounds, pay attention the next time you use the restroom, the clearer and lighter the better.

On the surface it would appear you are not drinking enough water, but if you are eating foods that have a high water content you may not need to drink more. I can drink more than a gallon of water a day and still feel dehydrated if I am being quite active, and eating dryer foods. Other days I can have 1 bottle of water maybe two and feel fine.
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    I drink a MINIMUM of a gallon a day. On hot days like this week(I work where there is no AC) I have been drinking 1.5-2 gallon a day. Mostly sweating it all out.
  • charleylarley0106
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem as you, i never drink enough.. never have, never will. I do plenty of exercise as I am a retired freestyle dancer and now a dance teacher. I work 9 till 5, 5 days a week and probably consume a bottle maybe a bottle and a half of water a day (thats if i have water at all).
    I have always been this way ever since i was very little and would suffer all the time with urine infections. But if i drank too much i would always feel really sick and get a headache and also a little dizzy!
    I now start every morning that I can with a chocolate milkshake as I don't drink plain milk and then through out the day will consume half a litre of squash or water. At dinner I will only drink if someone reminds me that i need to.
    I guess its just the way we are, but at least i know i am not the one :) I also seem to drink less when on my period? i don't know if its like that for you too?
    Charley