Problems with the elliptical...HELP!

Options
Khendyl
Khendyl Posts: 35 Member
I LOVE the elliptical, especially the "elliptical cross-trainers" but I keep encountering an issue that stops me in my tracks every time....my feet fall asleep, or at least they feel like they do. My toes start to get weird and tingly. I have tried wearing compression socks to no avail, I also try to move my feet more (I'll go up on my toes for a bit).

has anyone else experienced this? I have no idea what to do about it. It is impacting my endurance training, because I can't go for more than 15 minutes at a time.

ANY help is appreciated.

Replies

• norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing, but not that extreme, even though it is annoying. I'm interested to see what others have to say.
  • getting_fit86
    getting_fit86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same problem. I really started noticing it when I had bought new shoes. How old are your shoes? Are they very comfortable? Broken in? How about the support?

I found that my old shoes which are very comfy and quite broken in work better for me on the eliptical and help minimize that issue.
  • karebearandken
    karebearandken Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too. I just work through it. The longer I exercise, the worse it is. Sometimes I move my feet around on the steps, or I stand on my tip toes for a little bit until the feeling comes back. Seems like a common problem that people have, so you are definitely not alone.
  • Khendyl
    Options
    I guess my shoes are fine. I have big feet, so they might be a touch on the small side, but certainly not tight. They're pretty comfy.
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the elliptical, especially the "elliptical cross-trainers" but I keep encountering an issue that stops me in my tracks every time....my feet fall asleep, or at least they feel like they do. My toes start to get weird and tingly. I have tried wearing compression socks to no avail, I also try to move my feet more (I'll go up on my toes for a bit).

has anyone else experienced this? I have no idea what to do about it. It is impacting my endurance training, because I can't go for more than 15 minutes at a time.

ANY help is appreciated.

I use to experience this every time I got on an elliptical. Loosen your shoes. Your feet swell a little. Just don't forget to tighten them back up afterwards.

I will admit though, my feet do start to feel tingly, but not nearly as bad as they once were (and before it felt like I was wading in coals ontop of the sleepy, tingly feeling). Good luck, and if it keeps up... use it for the 15 and then walk it off on a treadmill, then return.
  • b12arr0
    b12arr0 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have it when I'm running too. I have to make fists with my toes every once in a while and that seems to help. Even doing the fists before I start to "tingle" helps too.
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Loosen your laces, it really helped with mine.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on lossening the shoelaces. Lately. I have noticed this happening to my feet, too. Since I finally got my cardio at a pace where I need to be and pushing it, I was wondering what I may be doing wrong that my toes and feet were geting numb like.’

I also do toe curls within my sneakers and occassionally toe steps while on it. Due to former ankle injury my foot is happiest not pressing downward motion with the toe step. I see others can train this way and their foot is getting the circulation it needs, but this doesn’t work for me. I was thinking it’s a blood circlation fact.
  • SheilaHandler
    SheilaHandler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got it too and worked through it. I don't get it anymore.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Before I even opened the thread my first thought was : "numb feet"

Happens to me after about 20 minutes. I find that taking the pressure off my feet so that they're barely touching the machine on the up stroke has helped a lot.. My feet go numb if I use toeclips on the bike too.. I have to take off the toe clips and they seem fine then.
  • miranda823
    miranda823 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I will for sure be trying loosening my shoes. What I usually do is curl my toes and focus on putting weight on my heels mostly for a bit, and that helps, but not for long enough to do as much as I'd like. I've been needing to hop of and do some jumping jacks or jogging in place to get the blood flowing to my feet again.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Hop on. Move your legs/hips.

Keep your weight evenly distributed and don't wear anything to tight on your feet.
  • Khendyl
    Options
    Before I even opened the thread my first thought was : "numb feet"

Happens to me after about 20 minutes. I find that taking the pressure off my feet so that they're barely touching the machine on the up stroke has helped a lot.. My feet go numb if I use toeclips on the bike too.. I have to take off the toe clips and they seem fine then.

I'm going to try lifting my feet while on the machine, my laces area already so loose I might as well not have them!

Has anyone tried going backwards to alleviate it?
  • sphinxagain
    Options
    Huh, I've never had that happen. I have a home elliptical so I don't wear shoes. Maybe that's the difference? The like... twice ever... I've worked out in a gym I wear my Vibram 5-fingers. Maybe try those for indoor/low impact workouts, and save your running shoes for pounding the pavement?
  • Khendyl
    Options
    UPDATE:

I went to the gym this morning and had alll your wonderful tips in mind while I did the machine. Unfortunately, i had the same problem, but it was a little better when I leaned on my heels and took my feet up at the top of the cycle (but I was worried that I was making a lot of noise). Now I'm pretty sure it's my shoes. My birthday is next week, so maybe I'll start asking for some new (and good quality) workout shoes!

Thanks for all your help.
  • matchsetgame
    matchsetgame Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Also, see if they have an elliptical without the movable arms. They work off an incline where your heels are down and it completely eliminates the toe issue (which definitely is linked to the shoes you're wearing, make sure they are cross training shoes). The one without movable arms lets you really tone your whole leg and it ends up burning more calories for me while making my legs look GREAT!
  • clarajeanbean
    clarajeanbean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had this problem big time until I bought a new pair of shoes, and now I don't have the problem at all anymore. I invested in a pair of Nike New Balance. They are sturdy but very comfortable, and they are also great because they help stabilize my ankles (which is really great for exercises like lunges too).