5:2 Diet

Options
Hi everyone,

Have just started the 5:2 diet and I'm not struggling as much as I thought I would, early days but definitely seems like something I can keep up. I've only read positive things about the weight loss and extra energy benefits. Any success/unsuccessful stories or opinions on it??

Replies

• GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Glad you are liking it so far. I'm sure you will do great. :)

Welcome to the group!
  • mombolongo
    mombolongo Posts: 28
    Options
    Hello...I started the 5-2 diet four weeks ago and have lost 4.6 lbs and 6 in...I am doing better then I thought I would..I'm 62 and have high bp and high cholesterol...Hoping to lower all that and drop 50 lbs...So glad to find this site and your group....Carol Ann
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5:2 success.
    Lost all the weight I wanted to and maintaining now.
    Started in January and really it has become a way of life.
  • MandiJessica23
    MandiJessica23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow that's great for only being a month in! Well done :) I had lost about 10lbs out of the 15lbs - 20lbs I was hoping for and hit a plateau for a few weeks and gained a couple pounds back, so trying to mix it up a bit. I think the intermittent fasting will put portion control into perspective as well! Good luck :)
  • MandiJessica23
    MandiJessica23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That's great, good for you! That's encouraging :)
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month to drop the last few pounds to get to maintenance. I really liked it, and was surprised at how easy it was.

Now I stick to a loose 16/8 style of IF.
  • rachaelbermingham
    Options
    Just started on the 5:2 programme and have completed two IF days. I found it surprisingly easy but wonder if it's the novelty that made it so. I did find that keeping busy was really helpful and being able to eat lots of salad stuff was great. Thinking that soups will be useful when winter comes.
  • mombolongo
    Options
    Morning...On a fast day...never was much of a salad girl until now...lol...Discovered Bistro pre-packed salads and there great...So easy and tasty...Will be great for when I go back to work. Tomorrow I will weigh in..Keeping my fingers crossed...Whats my protein total for fast days & regular days....
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ok, really would like more information on what 5:2 is ? need to get motivated again.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Just remember losing weight is all about being in a caloric deficit. There is no magical "diet". This should be a lifestyle change for you and something you can to continue to follow. best of luck to you.
  • fastfoodv
    fastfoodv Posts: 41
    Options
    It’s a fad diet. I don’t recommend it.

Healthy, balanced meals are the way to go. I recommend following the healthy plate. One-half of the plate is non-starchy veggies, one-quarter of the plate is starch and the other quarter is lean protein. Fruit and nonfat/low fat dairy is outside the plate. Monitor portions sizes and prepare food in a healthy manner like grilling, baking, steaming and roasting. Also, don’t drink your calories.

Get an exclusive look at Lisa's new book STOP THE DIET, I WANT TO GET OFF! at www.stopthediet.com and visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietician.com on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen
  • mombolongo
    Options
    The Fast Diet by Michael Mosley's....It's an intermittent fasting on 2 non consecutive days and 5 days of a regular diet..It's turned out to be great for me..My health and very slow metabolism has been hard for me but with this diet I have lost slowly but lost for the first time in years...I find on regular days I have changed my outlook on what I'm eating ...
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok, really would like more information on what 5:2 is ? need to get motivated again.

me too! what is this diet?
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just googled it .. so eat the calorie intake MFP gives you but on two days eat around 1/4 of that or around 500 calories? I might try this!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    There's 2 support groups here on MFP you might like to join. In addition, there's been quite a few threads about this latelty, if you use the "search" function you can find them - all sorts of opinions and caveats!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8628-5-2-diet
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just googled it .. so eat the calorie intake MFP gives you but on two days eat around 1/4 of that or around 500 calories? I might try this!

Women eat 500 and men eat 600.

At the end, the week total should lead to an average of 1200 cals per day...

This is my second week (due to holiday's next week, I'm doing 4:3) and although it requires planning (mostly for the fast days), it's easier than everyday restriction. I also enjoy that during "feast" days I can have some treats if I still have space in my calorie intake.. It feels great!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

Mosley Docu to the Fast Diet = 5:2

It's a good documentary on how he came to 5:2 including the science behind it. Not magic, but doable.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Aj6hRYg4A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW9Aj6hRYg4A

This little video is short and to the point. IMO it pretty much says everything in a few minutes. The only thing I do differently is that I don't plan my exercise around the fast days, as that is not doable for me.

I have lost 15kg in 4.5 months with 5:2 and exercise. I do count on all days and stay at my TDEE on non fast days.
  • alliemacd37
    Options
    Glad I found this thread. The 5:2 concept is very interesting to me and seems quite doable. I have recently made some changes to my eating style and cut out a fair bit of the junk, so I am ready to try something like to help me lose the pounds. Always nice to hear whats working for people and what isn't :) Good luck to all!!
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight and a bit more than goal following 5:2. I am now starting maintenance and will be going to 6:1 on Wednesday and see how it goes. I have reaped the benefits of no pain (a big thing for me), increased energy and upbeat mood. I don't see myself ever stopping this WOE. That is a life change and it is permanent. Good luck on your journey!
  • littlegem65
    littlegem65 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight and a bit more than goal following 5:2. I am now starting maintenance and will be going to 6:1 on Wednesday and see how it goes. I have reaped the benefits of no pain (a big thing for me), increased energy and upbeat mood. I don't see myself ever stopping this WOE. That is a life change and it is permanent. Good luck on your journey!

^^^This woman's journey has been incredible. She is a role model for many of us who are doing 5:2.
    My story: Started 5:2 in late June of this year. I am in my late 40's and have hypothyroidism. Nothing I've tried has moved the scale downward in the last five years…until I started 5:2. --- I fast two days a week. My results: I am not as hungry on nonfast days. I have better control over my portions. I exercise Monday through Friday…yes even on fast days. I have lost 29 pounds in 10 weeks. I have a doctor's appointment/yearly exam this week. If the other benefits of 5:2 hold true (besides weight loss), I should hear good news from my doctor that my blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. are better. I love this WOE.