Fat Camps??

Are there really Fat Camps out there, if so, where? How much,....etc?

Thank you

Replies

• When I was younger my parents sent me to Camp Shane. It is a weight loss camp for children up to age 18.

They have an adult version called "Shane Diet and Fitness Resorts" and while I have never been to it, I've only heard good things. =]
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    The Biggest Loser has resorts now. I read an article about one. They are pretty pricey from what I understand.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Why would you want that?

Eating well but killing yourself with exercise and creating an insane deficit is all you're going to get out of that. And in the end, are you going to keep up with those habits after the 2 or 3 month stint you have where someone else is scheduling and preparing every meal and activity?

Why not establish good habits at home and lose weight the slow, healthy way?
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    like, camp for kids? or adults?

I went to Hilton Head Health last September and i LOVED IT SO MUCH. Expensive (like $3K a week) but worth every penny if you have it. Here's the thing though... do not go to fat camp to lose a lot of weight (unless you plan to stay more than a couple weeks.) The biggest benefit to me of going away to a health retreat, is that it gives you a week or two (or more) of TOTAL DEDICATION to establishing new habits. You get to relieve yourself of your other daily stresses and focus on learning and creating good habits that you then take back home with you and use for the long term weight loss. It's a lot easier to create momentum when you have lots of time every day to dedicate to something, and once you have that momentum, its easier to keep it going than to first start it up during your busy "real life". Another great benefit, is that unlike my daily life... I didn't have to feel like "the fat girl". I fit in and looked like other people and to me, blending in when it came to weight made me much less self-consious to take the yoga classes, go in the pool, etc. I built up enough self-confidence in those 2 weeks that when I left, I didn't really care if people looked at me and thought "she's fat" because I felt amazing and I knew I was really working towards my goal and what they hell did they know.

honestly I could go on forever about H3, and no I don't work for them and am not affiliated with them in anyway except love! If anyone has specific questions or just wants to know more, feel free to message me.

ETA: I wouldn't;t step foot in anything associated with The Biggest Loser. their show does a huge disservice to the people who watch it and believe that it in any way resembles reality.
  • pktruckdriver
    pktruckdriver Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you all.

Yes while biggest loser is a popular show , they scare me.

I am sadden to hear so little reponses, yet elyelyse I am so happy to hear about HH, and yes I can not afford it, but it sounds like a few months would be awesome.

I am willing to dedicate my life to this, so 3-6 months is nothing, bring it on. Just no real drill sergeants I hope, yelling loudly at me does not work well. But in spirit of this I can be lead through the process of change.

Now , why would I want this. If you read about me , you'd know I am struggling really bad and am all alone, no one to support me. Yes I have MFP, but they can not boot me in the butt to get going, or go walking with me, cook with me or shop with me, or just be there. So a camp may give that jump start I need.

I want to live and be under 400lbs by end of the year, currently over 440lbs or so, then 350lbs and 300lbs, those are some of my goals, others I will keep to myself, but most huge people my size understand this, those losing 20lbs normally do not truly understand the things that are taken away from me for being so big ( yes it is my fault I AM BIG,) .

sitting in booth or theater seat.
    airline seat
    putting sock and shoes on
    walking without difficulty
    and many others

I want to change this and have found it too hard for me to do it alone. ok !!!

patrick
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi Patrick

Congratulations on your resolution to change. This is the first step in your journey

My Fitness Pal (MFP) has been very helpful to me. I hope it helps you too.

Check some groups in the blue banner above. Here is a link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3322-100-pounds-with-no-surgery

The most important thing is: You have to take action, you have to kick your own butt. Nobody can do it for you.

Good luck in your journey
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    If you're in this for good, and you're willing to make a lifestyle change, nobody can change things in the long run but you.

As Nike says: JUST DO IT.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    I want to live and be under 400lbs by end of the year, currently over 440lbs or so, then 350lbs and 300lbs, those are some of my goals, others I will keep to myself, but most huge people my size understand this, those losing 20lbs normally do not truly understand the things that are taken away from me for being so big ( yes it is my fault I AM BIG,) .

sitting in booth or theater seat.
    airline seat
    putting sock and shoes on
    walking without difficulty
    and many others

I want to change this and have found it too hard for me to do it alone. ok !!!

i want to address a few things...

1) If you are looking to lose around 40 pounds by the end of the year this is a very reasonable first big goal for someone at your starting weight! You can absolutely do that by just keeping yourself at an appropriate caloric deficit. Even without exercise. Easy? nope. Simple? yes.

2) the socks and shoes thing... the first time I realized I could put on and tie my shoes without having to sit down and lose my breath from trying to bend over, I almost cried. It was worth every ounce of effort that went into getting me there. No, people who haven't experienced it don't understand how such a basic task can make us feel terrible, but lots of people here really do understand.

3) I'm super lucky, I didn't have to do this alone. I do live alone, but I had a lot of support from my family. If you don't have that kind of support, or feel that you need more... have you looked into over-eaters anonymous? I don't know if you are still a trucker, but that might be the kind of support you could have access too wherever you are in the country.

one last thing... the cliche is true: one day at a time. try not to worry about how you are going to do this long term, how you are going to maintain the momentum. All that worrying takes energy and can be disheartening. Just work on today.
  • frameloss
    frameloss Posts: 92 Member
    When I was younger my parents sent me to Camp Shane. It is a weight loss camp for children up to age 18.

They have an adult version called "Shane Diet and Fitness Resorts" and while I have never been to it, I've only heard good things. =]
    Y

I went to camp Shane too! I had. Blast there!!
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    that MTV movie made me chuckle. fat logic everywhere