New to exercising. Should I do cardio before weights?

Options
Hi, I'm sure this question has been asked over and over again, but I am new to the forums so am not sure on how to find if it has lol. So I will ask it again here.
I am a female looking to build muscle and also get smaller, and I am wondering the proper order to incorporate strength training? I see some suggestions on doing cardio and strength training on different days, and some about doing strength training right after cardio to warm up muscles? Does it really matter all that much, and if I don't do cardio first does it increase the chance of injury during lifting? I just ask because when I do cardio I like doing at home videos and what not, but I can also use the gym at school but not right after I do my cardio videos. Traditional cardio on a machine just bores the HELL out of me and I just cannot stick to it, so that doesn't really seem like an option.
Also, if i am doing EVERYTHING wrong and even my terminology is wrong, please let me know because I am such a beginner and feel as though i have no clue where to start. If you have any tips also to a beginner, please let me have them.

Replies

• mochicakes92
    mochicakes92 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Also another question, if I already have enough of a calorie deficit over the day is cardio really THAT important? Or would just using the weight machines at the gym be good enough alone? Please help me, I am such a newbie I don't even know how to do a squat properly. I am highly struggling and getting frustrated at this whole thing and my weight loss plateau.
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You should look into the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" It has really helped me in my journey so far. I lift and it counts as cardio because of the circuit I complete and reps. I also do other cardio on my days I don't lift.

11257866.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Weights before cardio. Before you get tired.
  • rage032
    rage032 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm someone will be able to give a more scientific answer than I, but from my personal experience, I do 4 days of strength training in which I do about 10 minutes of light cardio at the start for a warm up and then hit the weights, and 2 days of cardio and core. I loose roughly 1.5kg (3.3 pounds) a week, and still add a couple of kilos onto the strength exercises each week. It's all in the diet.

If you are going to do strength training and cardio on the same day, do the cardio first, if for nothing else, it will warm your body up.
  • mdev1
    mdev1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what would be best for your goals but for me, it's always do weights then cardio. I stretch, do my weight training, then do my cardio by treadmill, running outside, biking, or a combination of those. After I'm done, I stretch again. My cardio is usually pretty strenuous and I'm typically exhausted and dripping wet when done. I personally wouldn't have enough energy to start lifting after my cardio workout.

To build out definition and tone without a lot of mass, the general method is high repetitions with lower weights. For me that means 10-20 reps until I exhaust the muscle group, a recovery period, then another set. In general I do three sets or 15-20 exercises so that takes me about an hour. Coupled with the cardio of 60-90 minutes that's a pretty long workout.

Combined with a calorie deficit, you should see some movement over time. It is not unusual to see weights go up and down and you should not be discouraged if you get 'stuck'. Simply take a break, eat more, eat often, and eat healthy, but stay within your goals. I'm totally guessing that your target should be around 1450 net calories a day based on your age (assuming you want to loose 2lbs a week). Just keep it towards that and you will probably drop a few pounds every week or two. If you exercise like I described, you will drop more IF you don't eat all of your exercise. If you burn off 1,000 cals then yes, feel free to eat a few hundred cals more (you should). MFP generally recommends a very low calorie goal - make sure you use multiple sources for planning your intake limits. MFP would have me eat 1250 cals - hah! My bare minimum is something like 1650 and I've bumped it up to 2400 when I get stuck (I know that sounds counter-intuitive).

Your goal needs to be increasing your metabolism. There are dozens of techniques for this and one size does not fit all. I've had to adjust my attack many times during my weight loss program and I'm constantly adapting to my shifting metabolism. Try different approaches, see what works, abandon what doesn't. Don't worry about doing squats perfectly, as you practice, research, and learn, your skills will improve.

Good luck and keep with it! It's worth it.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    It depends on the kind of weight program you're doing. How many reps and sets are you doing? What lifts are you doing?
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Suggestions to try to help you get started that have worked for me.
    1) Balance of Good Nutrition for your needs and goals use MFP to track your food.

2) Cardio: However you can get it in your day is what is best for you. If you didn’t do any videos a certain day and you go to the school gym, try doing 30 minutes of strength training first. Then try one of those boring machines (feel same way most of time, my music gets me through it). Or take some cardio classes at school if they have them.

3) Strength Train 4 Days for 30 minutes.

Workout Idea Plan: Aim for Total Time to be 60-75 minutes keeping you moving the entire time you are exercising.

Cardio: Use interval training method by doing a rest pace for 2 minutes, then all out for 1 minute; repeat; total of 30 minutes.

Week 1: Regular Week >Strength Training at 3 sets of a comfortable working weight doing 8-12 reps for each exercise. Start with the large muscle groups and end with shoulders, biceps, triceps. Afterwards do Cardio for 30 minutes.

M Upper Body - Cardio - Stretch after all your exercise is done every time!
    T Lower Body - Cardio
    W - Cardio
    R Upper Body- Cardio
    F Lower Body- Cardio
    SA Cardio
    SU Rest day

Week 2:
    Low/Heavy Week >Strength Training to be 2 sets of a lower weight with higher repetitions. This helps to tone and define the muscles. Do Lower & Upper on same day but don’t do same exercise back to back days, or keep Upper and Lower body on separate days.

Week 3
    Regular Week > Strength Train: Use same method as Week 1 or do the weights in circuits.

Week 4:
    Heavy/Slow Week > Train with a heavier weight and do less reps of each exercise.

Week 5
    Return to Week 1 Regular Strength Train. Always Increase amount of reps before you increase the weight.

Cardio: As your recovery and stamina improves, increase your distance, your speed, then increase your level; or try increasing both distance & speed at same time before you increase the level.
    Example>Eliptical Week 1 for 20 minutes, Week 21-22 minutes, Week 3 increase your speed,
    4th week increase your level.

Keep it up, you are worth it!
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Do cardio after weight training. Weight training helps burn off any excess glycogen stores so cardio is more benefial after weights. Everyone has their own preferance, though.
  • mochicakes92
    mochicakes92 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so awesome, thank you so very much. I really do appreciate the advice from people who know what they're doing! lol. Starting out can be sooo stressful.