ChaLEAN Extreme vs. NROLFW

Options
OK I have a confession you all: After posting in a different topic the other day that I would not lift weights because I didn't think it was my thing and didn't want the body type, I was rethinking what I wrote and decided that I would at least try to incorporate something! I am decently happy with how I look after losing 21 pounds, but I know strength training is so important and that I should be doing more of it. I own The Biggest Loser Power Sculpt, which is a good beginning strength workout IMO (it has different levels kind of like the other Jillian/Biggest Loser DVDs), but I slacked on it when I started TurboFire, which I'm on Week 5 of now. I did Power Sculpt today after TF Abs workout (which didn't really do it for me personally), so I have one more day left of Weeks 1/2 before moving on.

I love Chalene and would definitely do ChaLEAN Extreme as a starting point. But at the same time, I've read sooo many rave reviews of NROLFW that I would be remiss if I didn't pick that up too. I did go to BodyPump to try to make it my lifting starting point, but I wasn't in love with it enough to return. (I know I'm in a very small minority there, but it just wasn't my thing...maybe it was the instructor, though.)

I am aware from reading around that Chalene's program isn't honest to god heavy lifting, and NROLFW seems to be the case. So would it be OK to start with her and then progress to NROLFW if I like Chalene's enough to want more lifting?

Replies

• Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    In Chalene's program you can go as heavy as you want, it's really up to how you feel and how you progress. I love Chalene Johnson and her programs.
    As far as I understand, the other program is just a book that you're supposed to follow (I borrowed the book at the library, read it, everything looks good, but I'm not that motivated to do it all on my own)? You would need to go to a gym to get all the equipment for that. And you need to be your own trainer.
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Bump.

Any other opinions?
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm a NROL4W fan - made it through once and deciding now whether to start again or do the NR for Abs book next. I don't know anything about the Chalene program so I can't help you there. There is a very active NR facebook page and one that is fairly active on the boards here if you want to join and read through some of the comments.

Good luck!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love Chalean's TurboFire. I have not looked into Extreme. I want to check it out. Is it videos or a book?

I Love, love, love NROL4W. Once you figure out the exercise plans, it is easy! I started it and was doing good when my father died. I just kind of quit everything. My husband decided to do an intervention and bought 4 months with a PT/strength coach. He set up his workouts very similar to NROL4W so I know I was on the right track. I highly recommend a strength coach to get you started. I learned alot about form, etc. He also pushed me quicker with heavier weights than I would have pushed mself. I deadlifted 155 lbs last night! Up from 140. I wouldn't have even attempted that on my own! If you can't afford one, New Rules is the next best thing. There are also a lot of videos you can google to get the correct form.

I am convinced lifting is the aswer. I feel so empowered and energized! I weigh the same as I did a couple of years ago when I was successfully losing as a starving cardio bunny BUT I am a size smaller than I was then!

Good luck!! LEt me know which you choose!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Completely different workouts....

Point of clarification...those DVDs are not "strength" training...they are circuit training which is great for muscular endurance. It's essentially cardio with some added resistance. Just because some dumbbells are used doesn't make it a lifting program or "strength" program.

NROLFW is an actual lifting program. You lift...then you rest...then you lift some more, etc. You're not bouncing around all over the place trying to keep your cardiovascular system going...you're working your muscles and then giving them the requisite amount of rest to be able to put up the next set and progressively increasing your weight to gain strength.

I'm not knocking the DVDs...just need to understand that they're completely different routines...they're like 180* different in what you accomplish from a fitness standpoint.

Also "strength" training as a general rule is 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps where you're pretty much at failure on the last rep. This is also generally referred to as "lifting heavy"

Hypertrophy (Body Building/Toning) is 3-5 sets of 8-12 reps for failure.

Muscular endurance (circuit training) is generally light weight, high rep.