56 yo male starting MFP for the third time

Options
Looking for a few friends to help with accountability, insight, and encouragement. I struggle to manage depression and manic behavior. My wife is gorgeous and thin after having four daughters, now 16 to 23 yo. The rest of the family does not struggle with sugar addiction as I do. If this sounds similar, please friend me. My addiction is killing me and today I am taking responsibility and saying "No more junk and crap food" that gives me temporary and instant (false) gratification that furthers my journey to suicide on the installment plan. I need to live clean and with self-respect.

Thank you for your time and attention,

Jacques

Replies

• sd_dilligaf
    sd_dilligaf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sd_dilligaf
    Options
    bump
  • Koloss_Kelsier
    Options
    Welcome back, my friend. I am still in the new stages of this journey, and am all about socializing with my friends to help encourage each other. Sounds like you have a beautiful family, so I am very down to encourage every way I can! Feel free to add me!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me 44 year old happy to offer encouragement
  • needtoloseafewpounds
    needtoloseafewpounds Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I'm willing to offer encouragement. I'm not very insightful, though! ^^;;
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the depression. A few quick questions. Have you gone to the doctor? Are you taking prescribed meds? If so make sure it is regularly and if not maybe you should. Exercise is the only thing that helps with the depression besides my meds. Find something that you enjoy doing. I love to swim. Just being out in the fresh air helps. I can also relate to the mention of suicide after eating problems. I would not do it but it has floated through my brain. Another reason I take my meds. I am a 62 female. Hang in there and your friends will help. You are not alone here. Someone can always relate. Good luck.
  • sd_dilligaf
    Options
    bump
  • sd_dilligaf
    Options
    bump
  • sd_dilligaf
    Options
    bump
  • nmjordan
    nmjordan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I hear ya- I am bipolar and also an OC eater and it's very difficult to stay on track with all the ups and downs. How much weight do you need to lose? Perhaps we can keep each other motivated :) I started back here yesterday and I need to lose 85 lbs.
  • sd_dilligaf
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I am going for 256 to 210 = 46 lbs. I am 6"3" but 210 is realistic. We share similar burdens - OC eating and the like. I am on lithium and wellbutrin. High Blood Pressure with no meds for that. I quit drinking October 13, 2012 and expected to lose weight, but didn't. <whine>. Thanks again.
  • 2pupsmama
    2pupsmama Posts: 77
    Options
    54 yr old female here. Backslid a whole bunch and beginning again. You are the same height as my hubs and would be nice if he could get down to about the same goal weight you have set. Sending you a friend request.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am a 57-year old male, with a history of craving for sweets and nuts of all kinds. Also, I used to adore alcohol. I still love these, but they do not "command" me anymore. Between late January and now, I have shed 29 lbs of my weight (about 17%), while managing to retain most of the muscles that were covered in fat.

It was about five years ago, when a very bad bout of depression drove me to exercising. I joined MFP years ago. But, until early this year, my diet wasn't on track. At my age, I find, diet is about 75% of the game. And, now, because I log my food on MFP, I am on this site several times a day.

The progress has been slow, but -- as I like to put it -- unrelentless. ;-)

Feel free to check out my profile and, if you like, send me a friend request.

Good luck with your goals.
  • leebee63
    leebee63 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, Looks like you have a bunch of people to friend you on this journey. I am a young 65 yr. old woman and I can understand the sweet cravings. My husband loves sweets. What we do to keep the weight off or maybe down is we take our 4 year old Cairn Terrier out for evening walks after dinner every day as long as the weather permits. When it is hot we wait til later in the evening. If you want sweets try and find some low sugar, low calorie receipes for dessert. Also WW has some pretty good desserts that hellp the sugar cravings. My favorite is the Giant Fudge bar. Satisfies the sugar/dessert and ice cream craving. Plus nice and refreshing on a hot day.
    I wish you well in your journey, you can do it, we all can. Just take one step at a time. :tongue: