Sushi vs Mexican

Options
m00tmike
m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
My wife wants to take me out to dinner tonight for my birthday even though I insist on trying to forget that I'm getting older. So I've now realized that I can not win this and we are going out tonight. I'm thinking sushi or mexican sounds good but I'm not sure which is better for me (on the whole. Obviously there are bad foods everywhere). Any thoughts?

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Probably sushi, but what would you eat/ order, realistically, at both places...including drinks?
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    While instinct tells me sushi, what KIND of sushi? Strictly fish OR is there going to be piles of rice? KWIM?
    Mexican can be extremely healthy if you do it right. If you load up on chips and tortilla's, you already know that it's gonna go down hill.

Mexican-> stick with grilled foods, chicken or shrimp, keep the tortilla numbers low, make sure you watch the chips (14 chips is about 150 cals) and they are fried. Black beans are safer, some refried use bad fats.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you eat, but since it's your birthday (Happy B-day, even if you're trying to forget!), go with what you like best.

I'm of the opinion that there are no bad foods, only some foods fit easier into your lifestyle than others. Knowing how I eat, I would probably get higher protein out of Mexican, but I enjoy the hell out of sushi and don't eat it often, so I'd go Japanese. I'd also get exactly what I wanted to get, and no muck about with "oh, this roll has lower fat and less calories." Because life is too short to bother with mediocre sushi.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mmmmm sushi

maybe with a sdie of mexican??/ lol

These are two of my favorites..

I'd go with sushi though.. just because it's been awhile

PS.. it's your birthday.. eat what you want. :~)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Oh yes.. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I would say go for sushi:
    Get some sashimi, seaweed salad and miso soup! ^_^
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Unless you're going straight sashimi, mexican is probably your better bet. Grilled meat and veggies (carne asada??!!! nomnomnom), light on tortillas/chips/cheese/sour cream.

Happy birthday!
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Go for where you're going to eat better... they both have good and bad options!

At sushi, try to limit the amount of rice, sauces, and friend food you consume. Good ideas are miso soup, sashimi, and edamame.

At Mexican, avoid the tortilla chips (or too much tortilla and rice in general), choose a light meat or veggie option, and hold the sour cream and cheese.

But most of all, have fun and work whatever you choose into your macros!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    How are your micronutrients looking today? If you're low on calcium or iron, go for Mexican. You'll get more of both with beans and cheese.

If you don't need those, go for sushi.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think a special occasion like a Bday calls for sushi. Mexican is something you can go have anytime and it's just not as exciting.

On the other hand do they bring you a special dessert and sing at sushi? cause thats a thing to decide about if your shy maybe sushi gets u off the hook from singing
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Its your bday eat whatever you want. just sashimi and not sushi roll would be best option if you concerned about calories.

Happy bday, mine is tomorrow
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It's your birthday, why the hell do you care?!

Have a great night and forget about calories!
  • m00tmike
    Options
    Great suggestions. Thanks everybody. But even with all the help I couldn't make up my mind. So I've decided to leave it up to my wife and I told her to surprise me. I'll let you all know where we end up going.
  • l0vedim0
    l0vedim0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I say Mexican unless you are really into sashimi which is just the raw fish.
    Fajitas are so delicious. I can eat them without tortilla, rice, and beans. I would suggest you get only one carb item. Let's say you want tortillas fine, but limit it to 2-3 and ask that they hold off on the rice and beans. If its not on your plate then you cant eat it :)
  • m00tmike
    Options
    Well, Sushi was the big winner! It was a lot of fun. We even got to sit at a more traditional table where you take your shoes off and sit on the floor. It was cool! I'm not quite sure how many calories I ate but I left satisfied and feeling happy. It was a good birthday!