PCOS???

Options
Hello,
So 2 years ago i was diagnosed with PCOS and it hasn't been until recently that I have really started to come out about it...however most people do not understand the struggles we go through with PCOS and frankly sometimes I just need someone to say I KNOW 100% what you mean. Its like people who say I know how you feel...ummmm no you don't unless you have sat and realized what you have been diagnosed with and although you can fight against it...there is no cure and there is not a way to undo what has been done. There are also no clear and precise reasons as to why women develop PCOS...and well anyone with PCOS please add me...sometimes we can really use a real understanding of feelings! you know the days when your 23 with acne of a 13 yr old and your hair seems to never stop growing so you go through like 15 razors a month...that kind of understanding!

Replies

• pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was around 15 (I'm 27 now). It's not an easy battle. Body hair. Irregularity. Without birthcontrol I've gone 4 weeks to 4 months between a cycle. I know when the time comes that I want to start a family it will be hard work. I can shave everyday but it doesn't seem like it. My underarms have that dark coloration. It sucks.
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    yes the darkness uhhhh.....and family starting isnt easy....the only time i have a visit is if i take provera but none the less im getting ready to start the journey into fertility treatments and I am scare as all get out!
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I fit the typical PCOS picture, but maybe I do, I don't really know. I was diagnosed at 17 when I FINALLY got a period, put on BC pills and was regular ever since and forgot about PCOS except for the pesky upper lip hairs and chin hairs and dark leg hairs and bikini hairs and with out too much TMI other hairs. Then found an amazing GYN at 25 who kindly reminded me of my diagnosis and began really treating me for it by trying to take me off of BC and trying other methods (I don't want kids), when those methods seemed to really mess up my cycle, we decided to go back on a very low dose BC, and migraines also played into the picture, which BC didn't add to, so... Anyway, I found out that weight was another factor in the PCOS debate. So my biggest issues really are my cycle off of the pills, or no cycle on the pills, facial hair (though not awful, just annoying), and other annoying hairs, and over weight issues, though not obese. So is that typical?
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    pcos is just not typical...it doesnt have its normal...it just does what it wants. it has its common things...the hard thing is we have a disease that most doctors do not understand or know very much about yet!
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can add me, I'm on the same boat... and I've lost the same amount ot weight !
  • Itlnchk
    Itlnchk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I too have PCOS, I take 2000mg of Metformin a day for it too! Anyhow Insulin resistance is huge and thus weightloss is hard!! I was properly diagnosed this year, fertility was never an issue but everything else was :) It is what it is, I know what to do and not do...Carbs except fruit and beans are not our friends, lol Anyhow Glad to meet ya'll
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd make a very good "cyster" as I don't really believe in the traditional methods of treating PCOS. They exist, obviously, but they aren't sustainable *for me*. Birth control kills my sex drive, Metformin gives me horrible intestinal problems and you can't have any alcohol (I like to have wine a few times a week) when you take it. Synthetic hormones are really hard on my body so Provera is my nemesis. Up til now, the only thing that has helped with my symptoms without causing other issues that I refuse to live with, is weight loss. If I keep my weight under 170/180, my symptoms pretty much disappear. I'm working on that now, but needed a fix in the meantime, and none of the above were options I wanted to consider. I was talking about it here and someone mentioned bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. I read about it a few years ago but didn't consider it an option at the time b/c I was on fertility meds up the wazoo.

Anyway, I've started bioidentical natural progesterone cream after doing a lot of digging around and I feel great. Google Dr. John Lee and check it out. It's worth a shot if you're really struggling with it right now.

^All of this makes me a bad cyster. I also refuse to subscribe to a low carb diet. Despite my refusal to do any of the things recommended by traditional doctors (I'm seeing a doc who deals with bioidentical hormones and she's really supportive of my choices), I've lost 27 lbs since I stopped BCP and Met, and started eating at a deficit without restricting carbs. The other 17 or so was just post partum weight loss.

I wish you luck in your weight loss and managing your symptoms.:flowerforyou:
  • Enduranze3
    Enduranze3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed when I was 19 (30 now) and have been taking Metformin off and on. I just made the decision to take it regularly like I am supposed to and would love to have supporters and people I can in turn support.