Sauna Wet or Dry and why

Options
Do you use the Sauna after your work out and if you do, dry or wet and why?

D

Replies

• Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,

my personal trainer told me to NOT use the sauna after strength training because you'll destroy all the work you've done before. Muscles are stimulated while strength training, and relax in sauna, thus making all the good work useless.
    Use the sauna after cardio training. There are no muscles involved and you're well rewarded with a good sauna after cardio workout.

Can't tell you about wet or dry though.

MM
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hey,

my personal trainer told me to NOT use the sauna after strength training because you'll destroy all the work you've done before. Muscles are stimulated while strength training, and relax in sauna, thus making all the good work useless.
    Use the sauna after cardio training. There are no muscles involved and you're well rewarded with a good sauna after cardio workout.

Can't tell you about wet or dry though.

MM

No muscles involved in cardio training? HOOK ME UP! Sounds MUCH easier than the cardio that I've been doing!! ;)
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    No muscles involved in cardio!! Try telling mine that after some zumba or running! lol

To answer the original question though, I don't like the steam room too much anymore it makes me feel like I can't breathe and also I'm sure it brings me out in spots even if I do have a cold shower etc. Sauna for me!
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    From a different trainer... "Saunas increase perspiration and body temperature which helps with aleviating muscle pains and aches, helps relieve muscle tension which leads to quicker recovery times. The increased heart rate can also help with the cardiovascular system." Personally, I like the dry sauna, too. When it's the right temperature, I sweat enough without all the steam. You MUST be sure to get good and hydrated...not only post-exercise, but post-sauna/steam room/infrared sauna.
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You are all making me want to go to the gym for swim and sauna now! :)
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    I loooove the sauna!! Especially after a good cardio workout. Feels great and I miss it so much.

I can't sit in the steam ones for too long. I can barely breath! I see people having normal conversations in it and I don't know how they can do that. lol. I like the dry one best but sometimes I will do a switch over because the steam one seems better for my skin.
  • snowflakelaia
    snowflakelaia Posts: 214
    Options
    I have usually done sauna after 1 hour of doing cardio and stretches. It will relax you a lot, but be aware that it may relax you a bit too much. However, the skin will be soft as a baby's afterward, put some lotion and you'll feel like like new.

I'm so looking forward to some sauna, sunbathing, some... everything cool this summer!! ^_^
  • candicole83
    candicole83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wet and dry saunas were designed to benefit your health. They both consist of volcanic rocks and an air heater. Wet saunas use water to create steam, while dry saunas just use the rocks to create heat. Saunas allow you to relax, lose weight, eliminate toxins and relieve pain. If you have current health problems, it is best to consult a doctor before using a sauna.
    Relaxation
    According to Harvard Health Publications, saunas can be relaxing and calming. They allow you to relax your mind and body in a tranquil environment. HealthandSauna.com cites that a wet sauna encourages your joints and muscle to loosen. Often, after a big workout, your joints and muscles are tense and tired; however, a wet sauna allows these muscles to relax and stretch. This leads to less aches and pains after a workout. Dry saunas can be relaxing, as well. They clear the mind as sweat drains off the body.
    Weight Loss
    According to HealthandSauna.com, a wet sauna causes your body to produce a huge amount of sweat, similar to moderate exercise. In a wet sauna, your heart beats quicker and your temperature increases, causing you to sweat. Your body's reaction allows you to shed pounds. If you incorporate regular sauna use with a healthy diet, you will lose weight.
    Eliminate Toxins
    HealthandSauna.com says that a dry sauna allows your body to eliminate toxins. The steam activates the kidneys, which reduces the amount of metals your body has collected, such as mercury and nickel. According to Disabled World, the body changes the toxins from a solid form to a liquid form; this allows you to carry the toxins out through the pores of the body.
    Relieves Pain
    According to HealthandSauna.com, a dry sauna stimulates blood flow, which increases and activates the vasodilatation of peripheral vessels. The Texas Heart Institute says that the peripheral vessels bring blood to different parts of the body. This includes the arms, legs, muscles and organs. When the blood moves to the different parts of your body, it relieves pain for sprains or arthritis.
    Considerations
    Harvard Health Publications cites that it is best to consult a doctor before using a sauna if you have a heart condition. The extensive heat may cause your heart problems to escalate. Additionally, you should avoid alcohol and drugs when using a sauna. These products may cause your body to overheat while in the sauna. Also, you want to limit your time in a sauna to approximately 20 minutes and drink plenty of water afterwards.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/318926-what-are-the-benefits-of-wet-dry-saunas/#ixzz2ZX8qCjai
  • lvnh
    lvnh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wet and dry saunas were designed to benefit your health. They both consist of volcanic rocks and an air heater. Wet saunas use water to create steam, while dry saunas just use the rocks to create heat. Saunas allow you to relax, lose weight, eliminate toxins and relieve pain. If you have current health problems, it is best to consult a doctor before using a sauna.
    Relaxation
    According to Harvard Health Publications, saunas can be relaxing and calming. They allow you to relax your mind and body in a tranquil environment. HealthandSauna.com cites that a wet sauna encourages your joints and muscle to loosen. Often, after a big workout, your joints and muscles are tense and tired; however, a wet sauna allows these muscles to relax and stretch. This leads to less aches and pains after a workout. Dry saunas can be relaxing, as well. They clear the mind as sweat drains off the body.
    Weight Loss
    According to HealthandSauna.com, a wet sauna causes your body to produce a huge amount of sweat, similar to moderate exercise. In a wet sauna, your heart beats quicker and your temperature increases, causing you to sweat. Your body's reaction allows you to shed pounds. If you incorporate regular sauna use with a healthy diet, you will lose weight.
    Eliminate Toxins
    HealthandSauna.com says that a dry sauna allows your body to eliminate toxins. The steam activates the kidneys, which reduces the amount of metals your body has collected, such as mercury and nickel. According to Disabled World, the body changes the toxins from a solid form to a liquid form; this allows you to carry the toxins out through the pores of the body.
    Relieves Pain
    According to HealthandSauna.com, a dry sauna stimulates blood flow, which increases and activates the vasodilatation of peripheral vessels. The Texas Heart Institute says that the peripheral vessels bring blood to different parts of the body. This includes the arms, legs, muscles and organs. When the blood moves to the different parts of your body, it relieves pain for sprains or arthritis.
    Considerations
    Harvard Health Publications cites that it is best to consult a doctor before using a sauna if you have a heart condition. The extensive heat may cause your heart problems to escalate. Additionally, you should avoid alcohol and drugs when using a sauna. These products may cause your body to overheat while in the sauna. Also, you want to limit your time in a sauna to approximately 20 minutes and drink plenty of water afterwards.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/318926-what-are-the-benefits-of-wet-dry-saunas/#ixzz2ZX8qCjai

Interesting read. Thanks!