Is it possible for me to lose 30lbs in 3 months

Options
I'm a 27 yrs old mother of two, 5'4 164lbs with 30% body fat (according to the military when I get taped). I do not look like I weigh a lot but I do..I have a flat stomach and no gross rolls or anything like that but I'd like to slim down and get back to my weight that I was prior to having my 1 & 5yr old (I was in the 130s). I had my ACL replaced last summer so I haven't really been running like I should I'm still having problems but I can bike, do the eliptical and other forms of cardio. I haven't tried to lose weight but I want to start. Is my goal realistic or no? Also, any tips or pointers would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but not the goal I'd recommend. If you're 30% fat, at your weight, you'd only have 48 lbs of fat. To lose 30lbs, you'd go down to about 11% body fat (assuming you only lost fat). Since that is extremely difficult to do, you'll likely lose muscle as well.

My guess is you'd be very happy with things if you dropped 10lbs. That along with some general toning through strength training might be a more appropriate goal.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the human body can only lose 1-2lbs a week of body fat. Any more and you'd need to be super mega obese and under the care of a doctor.

For your height and weight 1lb a week is just about the best you're probably going to be able to do. The first week you might lose a little water weight from diet change, but that won't be a continuous thing.

So 12lbs in 3 months, it can still make a serious impact on how you look and feel, anything faster isn't going to be fat, it's going to be lean muscle.

Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) on Sedentary is 1844, this is what you would maintain your current weight eating every day with zero exercise. To lose 1lb a week you would need to eat 500 calories a day less.

1844-500=1344 calories a day with zero exercise to lose 1lb a week.

or 1344+exercise calories to lose 1lb a week.
  • AmandaCharmBD
    Options
    Maybe rather than concentrating on weight loss, look at eating healthy, drinking water, exercise, include weight training in your workouts. Toning and firming will make you look and feel amazing. good luck.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Relatively close! I say you might go threw a plateau phase by the third month which will slow it down but it is possible. Each month you got to keep doing different workout routines to constantly shock the body. You don't want to get use to any of the workouts. Once you start getting comfortable with workouts then it is time to change.

Oh ya no sodas, juice or any junk foods to make this possible. Cheers!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'm a 27 yrs old mother of two, 5'4 164lbs with 30% body fat (according to the military when I get taped). I do not look like I weigh a lot but I do..I have a flat stomach and no gross rolls or anything like that but I'd like to slim down and get back to my weight that I was prior to having my 1 & 5yr old. I had my ACL last summer so I haven't really been running like I should I'm still having problems but I can bike, do the eliptical and other forms of cardio. I haven't tried to lose weight but I want to start. Is my goal realistic or no? Also, any tips or pointers would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

I lost my 26 lbs in about 3 months by eating what I wanted, hitting my calorie goal, and exercising.

Just make sure you stay reasonable and don't cut your calories too low. Remember, this should be a long term change.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'd say at maximum you could lose two pounds a week, so maybe around 20-25 pounds in three months, which is still great! I started at 5'4" 145 and lost a little over 1lb a week. You can lose a bit faster than I did since you have more to lose.

Just know that the more you lose, the more it will slow down. So you might lose 2+ pounds a week at first but then you'll need to decrease to 1.5 or 1lb a week. It's a process but worth it in the end!

Also, make sure you're eating enough - here's a great thread on calculating your calorie needs (MFP isn't always right): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Good luck! :)
  • chichibaby85
    chichibaby85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Amisnercpa, thanks for breaking that down..never even thought about it that way..I def don't want to be at 11% body fat..lol maybe I'm looking to lose too much! Honestly, I look like I might weigh about 130 but I'm bottom heavy (I get it from my mama..ha). I am wanting to lose at least 20-30lbs because I'm in my best friend's wedding plus I have NCOES (military school) around that time frame and I want to be in better shape. I don't really eat junk my problem is lack of exercise..I do enough to pass my PT test and that's about it..I know terrible but I just went through a divorce and that drained all my motivation to lose weight and get into shape. Grr..plus I was an emotional eater 2 months post divorce but I'm over it now! :)

Thanks everyone for your input/advice it really helps and motivates me when I hear other people's success stories who are similar to what I'm trying to obtain.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I just passed my 3 month mark and I lost 20 lbs. for reference I started at almost 35% BF
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm a 27 yrs old mother of two, 5'4 164lbs with 30% body fat (according to the military when I get taped). I do not look like I weigh a lot but I do..I have a flat stomach and no gross rolls or anything like that but I'd like to slim down and get back to my weight that I was prior to having my 1 & 5yr old. I had my ACL last summer so I haven't really been running like I should I'm still having problems but I can bike, do the eliptical and other forms of cardio. I haven't tried to lose weight but I want to start. Is my goal realistic or no? Also, any tips or pointers would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

I lost my 26 lbs in about 3 months by eating what I wanted, hitting my calorie goal, and exercising.

Just make sure you stay reasonable and don't cut your calories too low. Remember, this should be a long term change.

^^What she said. I lost 20 pounds in two months.
  • chichibaby85
    Options
    That's awesome, gives me a glimmer of hope..lol. Please share your secrets (exercise and eating plans) ladies!!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm a 27 yrs old mother of two, 5'4 164lbs with 30% body fat (according to the military when I get taped). I do not look like I weigh a lot but I do..I have a flat stomach and no gross rolls or anything like that but I'd like to slim down and get back to my weight that I was prior to having my 1 & 5yr old (I was in the 130s). I had my ACL replaced last summer so I haven't really been running like I should I'm still having problems but I can bike, do the eliptical and other forms of cardio. I haven't tried to lose weight but I want to start. Is my goal realistic or no? Also, any tips or pointers would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

what did you say about my rolls???
  • MzIrish
    MzIrish Posts: 11,917 Member
    Options
    It is possible. I lost My first goal of 25 lbs in 3 months. I worked out every day and watched my calories.
  • chichibaby85
    Options

what did you say about my rolls???

oops!! I def meant to put a disclaimer..no offense to anyone out there with rolls..my bad!
  • beyondmywildestdreams
    Options

This is reasonable and what I'm aiming for!
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It is never healthy to lose weight that fast. also the slower you lose the weight the longer it stays off