Long distance running advice needed

Options
I am scheduled to run 11 miles tomorrow morning for my half marathon training and I will have my hydration pack and Jelly Belly Sports with me..is there anything else I should bring?

The most I have ran so far is 7.2 miles so this will be longer than what I am used to

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Go slow and get into it with the right mindset: You are in this run for the long haul. Listen to your body, and know that "I'm tired/sore" is different than "I am injured and have to stop" Enjoy your run!
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Find a good solid pace and stick with it. Don't get caught up with the other runners. Eat something light before race like a banana and a protein shake. Stay hydrated and have fun :)
  • jennhls
    jennhls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Preparing the day ahead is essential. In fact more important than what you bring with you on the race. Make sure to hydrate properly and eat good healthy food the day before and you will be fine on your run.

I don't eat or drink much before or during a run (but I usually run in the morning before it gets hot) if you are running during the heat of the day you definitely need to hydrate during. I find if I hydrate properly the day before I don't need a lot during the run. Plus who likes to have to pee in the middle of a run :)

Everyone finds a good routine that works for them, you will find yours. I am running 15 miles in the morning. We leave at 5 in the morning and get done around 8 it won't get very hot by then so I will drink about a half cup of water before I go and eat a banana. During the run I will stop and get a quick drink about half way through. Then I hydrate myself really well after the race. This seems to work well for me, the banana gives me enough energy to get through my race without cramping and having stomach issues. And it seems to be enough water to keep me going without having to stop to pee.
  • jennhls
    jennhls Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One more thing I thought of. The first time I ran over 10 miles I had major stomach cramping and diarrhea. I almost didn't make it to the bathroom. My body is used to long runs now so it doesn't happen anymore.

To prevent this you can take an anti diarrhea medication about a half hour before your run and it really seems to help.
  • Harpin_Maddog
    Harpin_Maddog Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am part of a running club and am training for a full marathon. We have a rule in our club for long runs, it is called the 10-30-45 rule (every 10 minutes a sip of water - every 30 minutes some electrolytes - and every 45 minutes some fuel). It is a usefull rule so you don't wait too long to get what you need rather than waiting till it is too late. If it is hot where you are like it is here in Southern CA, you may want sun screen, a hat (white one), body glide or vaseline for areas of your body that are prone to chaffing. I also find that hydrating well the night before plays a big role on how I feel for my saturday long runs. I am doing roughly 14 miles tomorrow. I am hydrating like crazy right now.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am part of a running club and am training for a full marathon. We have a rule in our club for long runs, it is called the 10-30-45 rule (every 10 minutes a sip of water - every 30 minutes some electrolytes - and every 45 minutes some fuel). It is a usefull rule so you don't wait too long to get what you need rather than waiting till it is too late. If it is hot where you are like it is here in Southern CA, you may want sun screen, a hat (white one), body glide or vaseline for areas of your body that are prone to chaffing. I also find that hydrating well the night before plays a big role on how I feel for my saturday long runs. I am doing roughly 14 miles tomorrow. I am hydrating like crazy right now.

This^^

I also drink Cytomax before my hard runs (where I really push the speed). Eating fruit beforehand is also a good habit to form. :) good luck!!!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) I am planning on having a banana for my pre-run food, wearing a hat and sunscreen and using my hydration vest so that I will have water with me if needed. I am nervous as this is the longest I have ever run but I will just keep going :)

I am doing the Jeff Galloway training method so I can walk/run when I need to so that will help I think