Binging due to Seraquel

Options
I literally cannot stop eatting, I try so hard but end up going back to the fridge every five minutes looking for something to nibble on. I have gained ten points in the last three weeks and I am literally in such a mood that I just want to crawl somewhere and Croak.

Anyone have any words of wisdom?

Replies

• AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house. Take a walk/hike, go to movies (bring a small bag of grapes), go to a zoo, go to a museum....just get out of the house. I personally know that seroquel can cause crazy cravings but I deal with them by getting away from food. Hope your day gets better.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I hated that stuff. If it's not doing you any good at all, you mentioned bad mood, then I would go back to the doc and ask for something else. There is no point in taking something if it's not going to work for your body.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Could you open your diary so we can see what you're eating? I'm not saying that the seraquel isn't contributing, but if you're one of those people who restricts sugar, aims for 1200 calories a day and eliminates all their favorite foods, then binges can make sense.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on seroquel, but I've had other medications that caused binges and just general weight gain.

I'd go back to your doctor and ask for something else, maybe give it a week because sometimes medications take time to kind of level off in your body.

Just tell him/her that this side effect is unacceptable to you, and you'd like to try something else. They should be able to work with you.

In the meantime, Alexis had great suggestions. Getting away from the house and food will help. Distractions are key! You can take a book to the park, walk around for awhile, then just lay out and read. One thing that has helped me when I want to binge is making myself drink a glass of water before I take anything out of the fridge or a cupboard. It fills me up faster, and it usually takes me awhile to actually drink the whole glass, so I can either delay or wait out the need for food (I mean waiting out the "I need twelve candies and a pint of ice cream right now!" need, not the actual need for food to sustain life).
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    oh my god when i was on seroquel i could NOT control my eating at all. it was incredible. i gained so much weight from it. thank god i dont take it anymore. if youre taking it for sleep just ask your doc for something else.