Heavy lifters--your tips for starting out?

Options
Hi all,

I'm a 5'7" woman, not particularly strong, and I start on Monday. I just got a punch card to a "lifting" gym (it hosts strong man competitions. . . with gigantic cement things called Atlas balls . . . tee hee! Yes, yes I know the myth, but still. . .) The grunting dudes seem friendly enough! I was going to start with Stronglifts, and I'm downloading the progression. They do have 2.5 lb weights, so I can moderate the progression. What tips would you give someone who is just starting out? I have an appointment with a trainer to go over form, because I don't want to hurt myself, and I do have some back issues from toting the spawn around. I'd like to get strong as quickly as possible, but without putting in such ridiculous amounts of time--I'm a busy mom. I was thinking 3 x a week, but 90 minutes is unrealistic for me. I could do 45 (but I'd rather do 30 min!). What do you know now that would have been useful to have known when you were just starting? Is there a way to make this as time efficient as possible, but still make good gains?

I got converted by all of those heavy lifting before and afters. Plus, I'd just like to be strong! You guys are inspiring!

Replies

• TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I recommend this plan http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

I am not in any way shape or form part of that website. I just know that the Kris Gethin plan has helped me. This is allot like Kris, where there is a eating plan, supplement plan, and workout plan. There is a daily video showing you how to do it, how many reps, etc. Have your trainer go over form doing this regiment is my suggestion.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm a 5'7" woman, not particularly strong, and I start on Monday. I just got a punch card to a "lifting" gym (it hosts strong man competitions. . . with gigantic cement things called Atlas balls . . . tee hee! Yes, yes I know the myth, but still. . .) The grunting dudes seem friendly enough! I was going to start with Stronglifts, and I'm downloading the progression. They do have 2.5 lb weights, so I can moderate the progression. What tips would you give someone who is just starting out? I have an appointment with a trainer to go over form, because I don't want to hurt myself, and I do have some back issues from toting the spawn around. I'd like to get strong as quickly as possible, but without putting in such ridiculous amounts of time--I'm a busy mom. I was thinking 3 x a week, but 90 minutes is unrealistic for me. I could do 45 (but I'd rather do 30 min!). What do you know now that would have been useful to have known when you were just starting? Is there a way to make this as time efficient as possible, but still make good gains?

I got converted by all of those heavy lifting before and afters. Plus, I'd just like to be strong! You guys are inspiring!
    Stronglifts definitely won't take you 90 minutes, I think 45 would be doable, and for the first few weeks at lower weights you can probably get away with 30 mins for the full workout.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You should be able to get all the lifting you need done in 3 sessions under an hour. It depends how many different lifts you want to accomplish through the week, but you can get a lot done with only a few. Prioritize compound lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press, and chin ups. As time permits, add in other accessories to focus on specific areas.

Study form from lots of different youtube videos. Your form will not be perfect as you start out, but you will learn it better as you add heavier weights. It's part of a process.

You might make quick gains at the beginning, but to get strong, it takes a commitment over the long-term. Give your body rest days and don't try to rush the process.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Like "dieting" lifting is not a sprint its a marathon. You are not going to go from 2kg - 30 kg dumbles in a matter of weeks. When you first start you will see whats called "newbie" gains which will enable you to add weight onto your workouts regularly. Once these newbie gains are over (can vary in length as to how long it last) i can takes weeks or even months to be able to add weight to your sets. Trick is just to keep going, you know those strongmen you see lifting those atlas stones? thats years and years of working out.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Following a structured program, having a trainer show you proper form, etc.

The stronglifts routine shouldn't take you more than 45-60 minutes depending on how long your rest times are.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Follow the program...SL is good and you'll make some good linear strength gains with it. Don't overdo it early...that's the tendency...seems too easy to you get all in a hurry to start throwing more weight on there. Don't do it...just follow the program and work on your form...it'll get "heavy" soon enough and you'll be wishing for the good old days.

You should be in and out in 45-60.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    And if 5x5 takes too long, there's nothing wrong with reducing to 3x5. Some people actually do better with the lower volume.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Following a structured program, having a trainer show you proper form, etc.

The stronglifts routine shouldn't take you more than 45-60 minutes depending on how long your rest times are.

^all of this
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    I just wish my gym hosted strongman competitions...

3x a week is totally fine. As others have said, you can finish a good workout in 45 or even 30 mins, as long as you focus on compound movements that work many large muscle groups at the same time -- squats, deadlifts, presses, pullups, and so forth.
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    All good advice in previous posts. 45 mins 3x week of effective, consistent training will get you good results. Enjoy!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your words of wisdom. And thank you Rick_po for the tip about 3x5. When the school year gets started--I teach high school--I'll be in a more serious time crunch, juggling my own son and my grading load. Right now I'm just juggling the little guy (but not literally!). That tip could come in really handy.