having major withdrawls

Options
I am a self-confessed junk food addict. I have been trying really hard to get sodas, chips, cookies, candy, etc out of my diet. I realize I am allowed to reward myself, but for right now I need to get out of the habit of eating things like that at all so I am going cold turkey for a while until I can trust myself to behave when it comes to rewarding myself. But today I am having super bad cravings. Like I would kill, literally kill for a soda right now. I am super cranky and tired. I know its because my body is detoxing.........how do I cope without cheating?

Replies

• seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would crave soda when I was thirsty, so maybe drinking some water would help? If I crave gummy bears, I eat dried apricots instead.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal, not soda withdrawal. You can try to tough it out, or find an alternative caffeine source.
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    I agree. It's most likely caffeine withdrawal. You might need to slowly reduce your soda/sugar intake so you don't shock your body.
  • wondermommie85
    wondermommie85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Caffeine withdrawal, not soda withdrawal. You can try to tough it out, or find an alternative caffeine source.

That makes sense but I do drink coffee daily. I had two cups today.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Try not to be so hard on yourself! You made several big changes at once and that is tough to deal with, because you'll be craving all the things you are denying yourself.

Maybe you could break it down into smaller steps, like cutting out the sodas first and getting used to drinking more water. If you drank only 2 cans of soda per day, that change alone will save you 2000 kcal a week. And then move on to making another change.

I personally don't deny myself any foods, but I eat them in moderation. When I go grocery shopping I pick one or two items max for snacks. And yes sometimes I'll find myself holding that bar of chocolate and wanting to gobble down the whole thing at once. But then I tell myself, I can enjoy a small piece, and the rest of it will still be there to enjoy tomorrow.
  • anatolian9
    anatolian9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Eventually your body will stop wanting fattty food but you have to control you environment and be disciplined.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this sounds more like a mental thing rather than your body freaking out.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    probably a little mental and sugar cravings.

you can have a soda. it will not harm you. but you have to be able to say "hey, i'm only going to have this ONE can." you can buy the extra small cans too. help you with the cravings.

another trick: i used to keep soda in the house, and just show all 24 cans of soda in the fridge so i could have a cold one when ever i wanted. when i started to cut back, i would just buy a six pack, and only keep one or two in the fridge at a time, so once i had them, and i wanted another one, i would have to wait for it to get cold.
  • wondermommie85
    wondermommie85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ok for some reason I ate a handful of colbyjack cheese and I perked right up.
  • missy_girl001
    missy_girl001 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hate the sweetness of soda but love the bubbles, so I drink tons of club soda. Sometimes plain, sometimes with a slice of lime (and vodka), and if I'm craving something a bit sweeter I'll add a squirt or two of Mio or a splash of cranberry juice. You might to give it a try.