Okay....THIS is confusing!!

Options
So....normally, when I workout on my treadmill I use the calorie counter it provides when adding those calories into my exercise diary on MFP. I usually switch up my workouts on the treadmill, but will always go until the calorie counter hits 400. Today I decided to use my HRM since I'd been told it is a more accurate way to discover how many calories you actually burn because age and weight play a role. Once I hit 400 calories by my treadmill's count, I checked my HRM and was floored when it read 790 calories...!!!!

I am at a loss as to what to think or what to do from here. Which calorie count should I trust? I never imagined the difference between my treadmill & my HRM would be THAT large!! I want to count my calories as accurately as possible, so this has thrown me for a loop!! Regardless, even if I were to use the treadmill's calorie count and add that to my diary...I'm not at risk of going over my calorie goal, so if I use the HRM's calorie count, that deficit will be even bigger. Any ideas, advice, or suggestions?? :ohwell:

Thanks!!

Replies

• emersoam
    Options
    If your heart rate monitor is high quality and set appropriately (with your info), it should be WAAAAY more accurate than the gym machines. Gym machines are always high.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your HRM. I have the Polar F7 and if the setting aren't right then it throws off the calories.
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Did you set up the HRM with your user profile? Weight, Age, ETC
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Depends--if your treadmill allows you to enter weight, then the HRM is likely way off.

If the treadmill does not allow you to enter your weight, then your HRM is still probably overestimating--I just can't tell you how much.

If your HRM is set up correctly and your treadmill allows weight input, then, in most cases an HRM will record FEWER calories than the machine (that's only if you are running). That is primarily because treadmills use equations that were based on outside running or "on the ground" running and running on the treadmill is a little easier. The research I have read suggests that treadmills overestimate calories by 5%-15%, depending on speed.

However, HRMs tend to underestimate calories expended at lower intensities. I find the difference between my Polar and my treadmill to be about 25%-30% (Polar is less). For me, splitting the difference is probably about right. But my HRM setup is pretty precise.

HRMs are not ALWAYS the most accurate--that's one of the biggest misunderstandings out there today. Only a few select models on even close to being accurate, and only if they are set up correctly. Unless you have a Polar F6, FT7 or higher, or a Suunto, I would not pay any attention to the calorie numbers.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate monitor is high quality and set appropriately (with your info), it should be WAAAAY more accurate than the gym machines. Gym machines are always high.

erm, in this case the gym machine is low1
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! I appreciate it!

My treadmill does not allow for inputting my weight or any other info, so I know that plays a part. I'm guessing it is meant to give a generalized calorie burn. I just don't understand how it can differ SO much from my HRM. My HRM does have my info, but it only asks for my age. After finding out there is such a huge difference between the two, I started looking for a different HRM so I can track the difference between it & my treadmill.

I was looking at a Polar F6, I was unable to find a Polar F7....is there much of a difference?
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was looking at a Polar F6, I was unable to find a Polar F7....is there much of a difference?

I LOVE my F6. It allows you to enter weight, height, age and gender......all of which affects your calories burned. It also is encrypted so that when you're running on your treadmill, it won't get interference from the treadmill and give erroneous readings. I've had mine for several years and am just now having to replace the batteries (although it DID lay dormant for a while so not sure when it actually died:blushing: )

I think it's actually an FT7, not F7, now but I can't really speak of it since I have an F6.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I have the polar F7 and found it very hard to set up without knowing exact numbers. I still don't know if it is 100% but I have lost weight so it is close enough. If I had to do it over again I would get the FT7 since it isn't based so much on your V02 max.

If you have your heart set on the F7 I may sell you mine :wink: