should I train abs??

Options
Hi I workout on a 4 day split. I also run 4 times a week and play football for 1 hour which is my hiit. (Indoor). I have love handles and also belly fat now I have heard that if I work my abs im going to just get bigger in that area until the fat has gone. My love handles are my worst enemy. I really want them gone. So what would be the best way to go about this?? Thanks in advance

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Lower your body fat. There is no way to control where your body shrink the fat cells sadly.

I never work abs but I engage my core when deadlifting and squatting so it is my abs workout.

Patience grasshopper
  • christianschell3150
    Options
    Your abs won't just pop through until the fat is gone. You should work your core anyway for strength and stability, but abs are made in the kitchen.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    a calorie deficit is what you need to reduce your body fat percentage.

working out your core at the end of every lifting day is fine. do one exercise like crunches on a swiss ball (bonus points if you hold a weight behind your head), hanging leg raises, v- ups, or any number of abdominal exercises. do 4 sets of them, get to a hundred reps total.

you need your core strong to support you and your lifting.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I would train abs and oblique. Training obliques with weights will get them bigger and might end up looking like you have more love handles, but i would train abs with weights so when the fat goes aways it will pop out more.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You can spend up to 15 minutes per week training abs if you wish.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I think this may have been misunderstood. I completely understand that its all about a low bf%. I do my deadlifts/squats etc tgat does incorporate my abs but I just wandered if its better to target abs also or just concentrate on core and and other muscle groups :) ofc you cant reduce fat in a specific area but I am eating at a deficit. Sorry this wasnt a whine about why I havent fot a six pack. Im like 30 bmi so no where even close :(
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If you are burning more calories than you consume, you will get smaller in your stomach area, not bigger. If someone told you you can get bigger from ab training, that's wrong. Sorry, it won't make you look like you have more love handles. Having said that, I don't directly train abs or do crunches, and I have a visible six-pack. Your abs can get worked through daily life like your running and football and through full-body exercises like squats (as Yanicka said).
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    Thanks for responding. I think this may have been misunderstood. I completely understand that its all about a low bf%. I do my deadlifts/squats etc tgat does incorporate my abs but I just wandered if its better to target abs also or just concentrate on core and and other muscle groups :) ofc you cant reduce fat in a specific area but I am eating at a deficit. Sorry this wasnt a whine about why I havent fot a six pack. Im like 30 bmi so no where even close :(

I see what you're saying. It is a personal preference, but since you are asking for opinions, personally I wouldn't bother. I don't directly train abs.
  • thatch1234
    thatch1234 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the responses. As I have just started I just didnt want to skip anything that I may later regret but It seems im doing it right so I shall keep going :)
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you can find a Pilates class. I can't believe how much doing pilates has strengthend my entire core and increased my lifts.

I've got lower back issues from a bad accident at the gym many years ago and my pain is greatly reduced. I've since learned that allot of professional athletes especialy in football now do Pilates as a way to prevent injuries. I highly recommend it!
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    If you can find a Pilates class. I can't believe how much doing pilates has strengthend my entire core and increased my lifts.

I've got lower back issues from a bad accident at the gym many years ago and my pain is greatly reduced. I've since learned that allot of professional athletes especialy in football now do Pilates as a way to prevent injuries. I highly recommend it!

I love pilates!