Atkins to Calorie Counting??!!! HELP!

Options
Hi Guys,
I know most of us on here have lost weight and regained it, along with trying different diets. I've never been anything other than a calorie counter and LOVE mfp for my accountability. But recently (two weeks ago) when I was about a month away from going on a vacation alone with my husband, I started to get antsy, even though I had lost 8 pound in 4 weeks using mfp. I wanted more!

So a friend at work recommended the Atkins diet, and said I would shed the weight really quickly, and get even better results. Well, vanity (not logic) won that battle and I started the next day. I am premenstraul, so I am not stressing so much about the fact that I have only "showed" to have lost 2 pounds b/c I'm hitting the weights hard and am sure I have pms water retention. But am having my doubts about continuing...

But to the point-I don't feel like this is the best for me, I think it's GREAT to cut out refined sugars and flour, but I want my fruits and veggies back. I've lost 40 lbs before just counting calories and having a cheat day, and you can't do that with this plan. Also, when I go on my trip in two weeks, if I want to enjoy a delicious meal or dessert, I don't want to blow up like a balloon (which is what my work friend said will happen if I reintroduce carbs too quickly).

I really just want to phase out this plan and go back to counting calories, but don't know if I am going to gain right before we leave, I'll be devastated!

What do you think I should do? and has anyone been successfull at the transition?
THANKS!! <3

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The only weight you are going to gain back is the water weight that comes along with being in ketosis, which is probably only about 3 or 4 pounds and it's only water. You'd gain that back anyways, no matter how long you did Atkins or any low carb diet because glycogen molecules bond with water molecules. When you go into ketosis and deplete your glycogen stores, you also let loose all those water molecules. Atkins touts being a lifestyle change, and sure, it can help a person get to a lifestyle of healthy, balanced eating, but fact of the matter is, even Atkins doesn't suggest being low carb forever so even if you went all the way to goal on Atkins, when you started to phase back in carbs and knock yourself out of ketosis and have a normal glycogen store like the rest of us, you'll also be hanging on to those water molecules.

Don't fret over it. Just get off that dang low carb nonsense (no offense, low carbers, i was one too ya know!), and get back to what you knew, what worked for you, and what makes the most sense: a balanced, healthy diet, complete with FRUIT.

Now go eat an orange! :flowerforyou:
  • Shawna35
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice... But for me, I try not to have the mind-set of a "diet". Atkins or any other! I want to eat now the way I will eat forever, which is healthy and lean. I will make bad choices here or there, but my goal is for a healthy lifestyle and not a temporary diet that will never last.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    OK now I so agree with this just go back to what you were doing you will not "Blow up like a ballon" You gain weight from eat to much and not the right kinds of food. and even if you are stuffing your face the gain would not happen instantly :noway: (not that you would be stuffing your face its just and example. You will be fine now you should eat that orange and then get ready to enjoy your vacation :flowerforyou:
    The only weight you are going to gain back is the water weight that comes along with being in ketosis, which is probably only about 3 or 4 pounds and it's only water. You'd gain that back anyways, no matter how long you did Atkins or any low carb diet because glycogen molecules bond with water molecules. When you go into ketosis and deplete your glycogen stores, you also let loose all those water molecules. Atkins touts being a lifestyle change, and sure, it can help a person get to a lifestyle of healthy, balanced eating, but fact of the matter is, even Atkins doesn't suggest being low carb forever so even if you went all the way to goal on Atkins, when you started to phase back in carbs and knock yourself out of ketosis and have a normal glycogen store like the rest of us, you'll also be hanging on to those water molecules.

Don't fret over it. Just get off that dang low carb nonsense (no offense, low carbers, i was one too ya know!), and get back to what you knew, what worked for you, and what makes the most sense: a balanced, healthy diet, complete with FRUIT.

• bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I liked your thoughts about less flour and sugar. Do that! Which means less desserts on your vacation.
    Dessert can also be simple fruits (that is dessert in Spain and Italy). That way, you have your dessert and eat it without worry!
    Hugs, :drinker: (lots of water)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    The only weight you are going to gain back is the water weight that comes along with being in ketosis, which is probably only about 3 or 4 pounds and it's only water.

Actually, the water weight that comes along with getting out of ketosis.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    lol thats what i said. i said the weight she will gain is the water weight that comes along with being IN ketosis. when she comes OUT of ketosis, the water comes back. water binds to glycogen. when you are in ketosis, you have depleted glycogen stores, and therefore, you are not hauling around excess water either.
  • fit4fun
    Options
    Thanks guys! Eating healthy including fruits and veggies is the conclusion I came to...not worried about gaining anything back...my hubby loves me no matter what. I feel like the long term choice for me is counting cals and staying away from processed foods, and much more fun to have a CHEAT day!