ate too much and FREAKING OUT

Options
So I was on a pretty strict diet/exercise regimen, but because of the bbq i had tonight and the dessert that followed, i at 400-500 calories more than I was supposed to!! Because I exercised throughout the day, I have a total of maybe 200-300 excess calories, but I feel horrible (not so much mentally, more physically). The question is, how do I get back on track tomorrow? Do I compensate for what I ate today? What do I do?!

Replies

• mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Compensating isn't necessary. One day of a few hundred extra calories isn't going to completely derail all of your hard work. Shake it off and get right back on your regime. You'll be fine (promise!).
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Go back to what you had been doing leading up to today. It is good for your body to go over from time to time. Your body will not learn to feel deprived etc. 400-500 calories once in a blue moon will not destroy all your work. It takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound so you would have to do that for a whole week to gain. Don't sweat it and just get back on your normal routine.
    Stay positive. You are doing great
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I went over this weekend as well. picnics! I didn't eat much, but it was hot dogs and burgers. they have loads of calories. I'll just go back to my normal routine tomorrow.
  • Luber905
    Options
    There's absolutely no need to freak out. Keep on with your schedule, if you can make up for the calories that's cool but if you can't, just get back on track with your plan. I think the best way to make up extra calories is with more exercise. Eating less can leave you feeling more hungry and deprived and make you more apt to cheat. Mostly, just get back on track with your plan!

Good luck!
  • nursee67
    Options
    Shake it off! We are gonna have those days. Just get up tomorrow and stick to your plan!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's one meal on one day. Just go back to your program tomorrow. This is a lifestyle, not a temporary "plan". One of the nice things about exercise and living a healthy lifestyle is that you can enjoy occasional parties, meals and not have to worry about it.

Life is long.
  • lizrha
    lizrha Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'm not (as) concerned now :)
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    NO you don't compensate, YOU take it one meal at a time ...don't stress over it.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    What every one else says....don't worry about it! Tomorrow is another day, and this is a a holiday weekend, so cut yourself some slack :smile: We all have days were we go under and some where we go over!! You are fine :flowerforyou:
  • kmscott1965
    Options
    Everyone has those kind of days once in a while. This weekend has been that kind of weekend and for myself, I went ahead and posted every calorie I ate as a reminder that this is a life choice..there are going to be times when I'm craving something extra. The key is to get back up the next day and start all over again. Everyone one of us will have these types of days. The important thing is to not slip back into old habits. Tonight I felt like eating bread so basically I had bread and rum for dinner. Don't beat yourself up over it. Tomorrow is another day.
  • dstacky
    Options
    I've been seeing a dietician for a year now, and whenever i freaked out she told me to forget the day before and start a fresh, don't stress about the past, just concentrate on each day at a time
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    What they said. No freaking.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've been in that positon before and honestly there is no need to freak out. I would just start fresh tommorrow if it were me.

I actually have found that those cheat days can boost a weekly loss. Just last weekend I went to a wedding and ate anything I wanted and consumed quite a few alcoholic beverages (I must have had 3000+ calories that evening alone) and I lost 5 lbs that week.

Also it takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a lb so the excess you had is nothing really.
  • eekface
    eekface Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    drink as much water as you can today and tomorrow to try to help your body flush out any extra sodium and such you took in with the extra food
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    pretend today was your "cheat day" and go back to schedule tomorrow! It's okay don't worry you will do fine!
  • So I was on a pretty strict diet/exercise regimen, but because of the bbq i had tonight and the dessert that followed, i at 400-500 calories more than I was supposed to!! Because I exercised throughout the day, I have a total of maybe 200-300 excess calories, but I feel horrible (not so much mentally, more physically). The question is, how do I get back on track tomorrow? Do I compensate for what I ate today? What do I do?!

Attempting to "compensate" just allows the one day to become a lot more! .... And a whole lot more than it truly was ..... We all make mistakes, and we all have those BBQs, those special dinners, those family gatherings with more food than can be consumed by the people present .... And I'm pretty sure that I'm safe in saying that those are usually followed by moments of freaking out and slapping ourselves around a bit. Tomorrow is a new day!! So you went over your cal. today .... stay right on track tomorrow!! Don't skip meals ... Don't worry yourself about yesterday's cal count. Yesterday is over, and I'll bet you'll be surprised when your next weigh-in comes around and you discover that you haven't caused any where near as much damage as your imagination is trying to convince you that you have!! Good luck to you!! Happy tomorrow!!

KIM
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Think about this when you go over... (I used my numbers.. so will be different to others..)

BMR: (to live without action)
    1,689 Calories a day

MFP: (Cals to eat - Calculated on loosing 1.5lbs a week)
    1,370 Calories a day

Thats a deficit of 319 a day or 2,233 a week!!! Going over one day will not undo all your good work. however eating over your BMR every day WILL make you gain.

So dont stress too much, take your time, choices will get easier to make as time goes on and this is not a diet, its a lifestyle change. Everyone who lives is allowed to spoil themselves occasionally. Its only when it is not done in moderation that it becomes a hazard.

Take every day as a new day... dont compensate... =)

MWAH! Keep your head up and keep smiling!!! =)
  • 30togomoveit
    30togomoveit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just try to remember that tomorrow is a whole NEW day. Start it off like you would have any other day (without the picnic) and go from there! Plan ahead what you are going to eat and stick to it.

Exercise a little bit harder than usual and you will be fine! As long as you don't let 1 day of overdoing it continue into the next, and the next (YES..I am speaking from experience).
  • samiko
    Options
    I've been in that positon before and honestly there is no need to freak out. I would just start fresh tommorrow if it were me.

I actually have found that those cheat days can boost a weekly loss. Just last weekend I went to a wedding and ate anything I wanted and consumed quite a few alcoholic beverages (I must have had 3000+ calories that evening alone) and I lost 5 lbs that week.

Also it takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a lb so the excess you had is nothing really.

That's right it's called "boosting" in fact by quite a few plans...I used to call it shocking the system before I actually knew it had a name. By having a little extra occasionally than what your body is used to, it actually confuses your body and you avoid a plateau affect. You may notice dropping a few pounds if you just resume back to normal.
  • absenceofmortality
    Options
    On the 5th day of my diet, I overate to the extreme! I felt so horrible. Although I had worked out that morning, I felt that I had completely ruined my hard work for the whole week, but I let it be and just worked out the following day and ate right. Even though I over ate, I still lost 3 pounds that week.

My point being: don't stress! :)

We all slip, and we can still lose weight! :D