Bodymedia Fit Adjustments

Options
Hi -

My Bodymedia Fit is paired up with MFP account. It has my daily calorie intake (1460) every day. I notice as I move throughout the day, or take a class at the gym, it adds additional calories in my "exercise" section. This gives me additional calories to consume. Should I eat the additional?

For example, on top of my 1460 daily, today I earned 767 in movement/exercise. This means I could consume 2227 calories and still have enough of a deficit to have weight loss.

Anyone else know what to do? Thanks!

Replies

• NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I follow my BodyMedia Fit. I stick with my calorie goals there and try not to waiver, no matter what MFP says. That said, I haven't been using BodyMedia Fit for very long.....but I absolutely love it! I've made my goal of 8,000 steps every day this week! Best of luck to you!
  • runningartist
    runningartist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks! I have had it for a long time. Took it off for the past few months, but am back with it. I was curious as to what other people did and how it made a difference for them.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    It takes a bit to figure out the math, but assuming your mfp account and your bodymedia account are set to the same goals (lbs lost per week), then you can eat until mfp says 0 calories remaining. On bodymedia, it'll show your total calories burned and total calories consumed and give you the deficit. Assuming your bodymedia and mfp are both set to lose at the same rate (say 1lbs per week), if you eat until mfp says 0 calories remaining, your bodymedia should show a deficit of 500. I have a degree in computer science and statistics and it confused the h*ll out of me for a couple if weeks.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. I have a fitbit and get similar adjustments. I eat the calories I earn with those adjustments and I'm averaging 2lbs per week loss(have both fitbit and mfp set to 1lb per week loss). For me this means that some days I even end up eating 2600 calories.
  • DanielleJoy129
    Options
    It's up to you...

You'll find a lot of debate on the MFP message boards about whether you should or should not eat back your exercise calories.

As a general rule, I don't eat back my exercise calories, but it also makes for a nice buffer, so if I'm especially hungry, I'll have an extra snack (for example) and I don't beat myself up about it!

I'm using a bodymedia fit too, and found out that I actually burn more calories per day than what MFP estimated, so I increased my daily calorie intake by about 100 calories and I'm still losing weight.

Good luck!
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It takes a bit to figure out the math, but assuming your mfp account and your bodymedia account are set to the same goals (lbs lost per week), then you can eat until mfp says 0 calories remaining. On bodymedia, it'll show your total calories burned and total calories consumed and give you the deficit. Assuming your bodymedia and mfp are both set to lose at the same rate (say 1lbs per week), if you eat until mfp says 0 calories remaining, your bodymedia should show a deficit of 500. I have a degree in computer science and statistics and it confused the h*ll out of me for a couple if weeks.

Agreed...sometimes I am still confused with this...lol
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I have only had mine for a few weeks but so far I have not been eating back the calories it says I have burned during exercise. I love mine, it makes me want to get out there and hit my goals : )
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Now if only I can figure out how to get my BMF to synch up with my phone! I don't understand the bluetooth stuff, and am a self-admitted idiot!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Now I get what you're asking. I essentially follow mfp. That leaves me at a daily deficit of 500-assuming I actually stick to my goal. Sometimes I eat 1700, sometimes I eat 2700, or anything in between. I eat all my calories-and then some. My activity level is extremely varied-it doesn't make sense for me to stick to a single goal when some days I burn 1900 and some days I burn 3800-that's a big gap. I eat based on how much I do. I aim for a 500 deficit-sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.
  • runningartist
    runningartist Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I worry that if I don't eat them, I'll create too large of a deficit. Then I also worry that if I eat them, I'll over eat! Haha... I do love how accurate my BMF is though.

Thanks so much for the input!
  • ledc3402
    ledc3402 Posts: 1
    Options
    You need to eat the calories you burn. If you do not, your metabolism is going to be slower and slower and it's going to be more and more difficult to lose weight.
  • nickalow11
    nickalow11 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Bodymedia Fit for a couple of months. This is what I see. BMF has my cal goal at 1500 and MPF has my cal goal at 1200 but then increases as I log more activity. I try to sick with the BMF goal of 1500 calories. On average I eat 1400-1700 cal/day. So...I eat back SOME of my exercise calories. I have both set to a 2lb/wk loss. BMF says I need a 1000 cal deficit per day to make this work. I have found that I actually need a 1300-1500 deficit to see scale results.
  • verbenaverbena
    Options
    Just started using BMF with mfp and had not been eating back exercise calories. Last year I just used BMF and didn't lose weight but I'm pretty sure I was too high on carbs. I've lot about 10lbs with mfp prior to starting back with bmf this time and have been afraid to eat the exercise calories bx I'm stuck at current weight. Could be bx I've started strength training or bx I stopped the intermittent fasting. I'm on the fence about what todo as well. Today was the first day I decided to eat back exercise calories. Or rather that I stress ate and called it that. :)
  • cdbenson
    cdbenson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have too much of a calorie deficit, your body will stall and you will not loose any weight. You will also burn muscle instead of fat when you eat too few calories. Try eating back the recommended calories for 2 weeks! You should also set your MPF and BM at the same calorie consumption.:smile: