cola junkie

Options
Can anyone give me some good advice and alternatives for getting carbonated drinks out of my system?

I can make it through like 2 days before a horrible headache sets in?

Any other soda junkies out there?

Replies

• Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Do you eat many fruits? I often wondered how I was so easily able to get off of carbonated drinks. I think fruits was the answer. If you can turn fruits into your sugar fix, then it might become easier. And as a bonus to that, you'll be getting actual nutrition from the sugars.
  • Marina809
    Marina809 Posts: 38
    Options
    It sounds like you're having caffeine withdrawals. If you can make it through a week or two you'll get the caffeine out of your system and the headaches will stop. Don't wait until your headache gets bad if you're going to take a pain reliever. A headache from caffeine withdrawal is hard to get rid of if it's already set in good. Take something when you first feel it coming on and you'll get much better relief. Hang in there; it's worth it all to stop a soda habit.
  • jdallas69
    jdallas69 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try Gatorade
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I was a dr pepper junkie. I switched my addiction to sweet tea and then switched to unsweetened tea. In the long run I haven't beaten the caffeine addiction but at least I am not drinking hundreds of calories a day.
  • marcimlarson
    Options
    Never drink soda... unless its a Jack Daniels and Coke. Thats Ok.
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Juice tastes a lot better any way, but if you really can't just drink diet cola every so often
  • Chelseatheturtle
    Chelseatheturtle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have rarely have had any carbonated drink in the past 5 years, Before that, I liked soda a lot. Back in early 2008, I started drinking more water, drinking less and less soda. One day I took a sip of mom's cola while we were at McD one morning, and it tasted horrible. The only times I have anything fizzy is ginger ale in a punch at church. Juices are ok, but they are full of sugar and calories. Now, if I need flavor drink I just have water with a lemon or a diet lemonade from Chic-fil-a. I rarely drink tea as well.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Tea really helped me kick all soda almost a year ago.. and then I went to decaf crystal light!
  • phetsanie
    phetsanie Posts: 9
    Options
    It sounds like you're having caffeine withdrawals. If you can make it through a week or two you'll get the caffeine out of your system and the headaches will stop. Don't wait until your headache gets bad if you're going to take a pain reliever. A headache from caffeine withdrawal is hard to get rid of if it's already set in good. Take something when you first feel it coming on and you'll get much better relief. Hang in there; it's worth it all to stop a soda habit.

This. The painkiller really helps with the headache if you take it early enough. I also use the countdown app on my phone to keep track of how many days it has been since I've had pop (170). It really helped me to watch that number get bigger. I read a post on here once where a person had figured out how many calories they hadn't had since they stopped drinking pop, and that mind-boggling number makes it so that you might never want to drink it again (4 cans of pop for 170 days = 102,000 calories)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water and just push on through, that's what I did anyway, took about a week, now it's been more than ten weeks and I don't crave them anymore, and I don't think about them anymore. I bet if I took a big ol swig of Pepsi right now I'd think it tasted terrible.

Rigger
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I started using the caffinated drink mixes that you add to water. That kept me from having caffiene withdrawals, which is what it sounds like you're having.
  • smmoler
    smmoler Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the ideas and suggestions. You guys Rock!