Fat Loss Resistance

Options
2»

Replies

• lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...

The only comment I have is this-I refuse to get into any debates with anyone on this site regarding "calories in, calories out, end of story".

Anyone who thinks it is that simple is far to uneducated to waste the time debating with. The body is extremely complex. Hormones rule how our bodies operate, and there are a billion factors that affect how your body produces and regulates them. Bottom line, there is a lot more to the story of fat loss than calories in and calories out. Thanks for sharing!

reposting from another Brd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiponectin
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/549960-glycemic-load-adiponectin/
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=207088

I am sharing links to a fraction of the things I have been reading over the last 10 years. A calorie is not a calorie The quality of your nutrition matters MORE.

Mainstream understanding of nutrition and weightloss must begin to digest current science or it will further resemble "the flat-earth society".

In sum, the first link will sound like doom--if you are overweight you body makes less of what is needed to burn fat. But the light at the end of the tunnel is that exercise and select nutrients will create an environment where your body will begin making more adiponectin.

The other links point to the value of a low-glycemic diet for weightloss.

I began following a low-glycemic diet years ago. It stabilized my weight and although it was not enough for me to have weightloss, my overall health improved dramatically. Naturally, I began following the biological mechanism of cellular energy further back to digestion. I made further dietary forever changes and added moderate cardio to toning and lost 14 lbs & nearly 20" down quickly.

It would be a whole other post to discuss how hard cardio causes weight gain in me and the few studies I found that proved I am not mistaken!

Take a look at low-glycemic diet

Whoa! Not looking to debate... However, calories in calories out is THE jumping off point. If you eat at a healthy deficit, lose weight, and feel generally good, then why even bring the hormone debate into question?

MANY people use articles like this to justify why they just can't seem to get results when the actual problem is their expectations, their plan, or their adherence, which is why I hate this kind of stuff. If the article is completely accurate (which I doubt) then it is applicable to far fewer people who will jump on it and say, "That must be why I can't lose weight!" When the reality is that what they actually do is try to low-carb/Paleo/SouthBeach/EatLiketheDinosaurs diet and lose a few pounds, fall off the wagon, and gain it back. These people are not "weight loss resistant." They need a plan that works in life.

Please be open to the contribution of others. I wish I could copy-paste their insight about how the impact of certain diseases and the functioning of metabolism. Yet, they might be inclined to post here IF things remain respectful and friendly. What has been said about PCOS and a variety of auto-immune diseases is instructive.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Article was an interesting read.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I REALLY thought I would never be able to lose and keep off the weight I finally did. It has taken a loooong time. I have made diet adjustments, exercise 7 to 9 hours a week, mix up exercise and amount of calories I eat per day (within a range), track my calories as much as I can (shooting for daily) make sure I eat enough at lunch and that I eat an early, filling, full of protein dinner, and try my best to eat more fruit, vegetables, and protein and less processed foods in general. I have listened to my body and my body tells me to eat Greek yogurt, egg whites, chicken, fruit and vegetables, etc. Things like bread, cereals, etc., are processed so they are less nutritious, more calorie dense, and mess with your hunger signals/body insulin response. I do believe what we eat affects our weight loss because it affects our hormones, hunger signals, etc. This belief comes from research AND a life long experience of trying almost every diet on the face of the planet. I DO think that everyone is different and different bodies respond to food differently for many complex reasons that we are only beginning to understand. I Do know that what I am doing is working for ME, as long as I forget about how long it takes, and just trust in the process, and the results that I have seen over time. After a lifetime of wanting what I have now, no one will EVER convince me that it is simple.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I REALLY thought I would never be able to lose and keep off the weight I finally did. It has taken a loooong time. I have made diet adjustments, exercise 7 to 9 hours a week, mix up exercise and amount of calories I eat per day (within a range), track my calories as much as I can (shooting for daily) make sure I eat enough at lunch and that I eat an early, filling, full of protein dinner, and try my best to eat more fruit, vegetables, and protein and less processed foods in general. I have listened to my body and my body tells me to eat Greek yogurt, egg whites, chicken, fruit and vegetables, etc. Things like bread, cereals, etc., are processed so they are less nutritious, more calorie dense, and mess with your hunger signals/body insulin response. I do believe what we eat affects our weight loss because it affects our hormones, hunger signals, etc. This belief comes from research AND a life long experience of trying almost every diet on the face of the planet. I DO think that everyone is different and different bodies respond to food differently for many complex reasons that we are only beginning to understand. I Do know that what I am doing is working for ME, as long as I forget about how long it takes, and just trust in the process, and the results that I have seen over time. After a lifetime of wanting what I have now, no one will EVER convince me that it is simple.

Thank you. We need more voices like yours!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...

The only comment I have is this-I refuse to get into any debates with anyone on this site regarding "calories in, calories out, end of story".

Anyone who thinks it is that simple is far to uneducated to waste the time debating with. The body is extremely complex. Hormones rule how our bodies operate, and there are a billion factors that affect how your body produces and regulates them. Bottom line, there is a lot more to the story of fat loss than calories in and calories out. Thanks for sharing!

Whoa! Not looking to debate... However, calories in calories out is THE jumping off point. If you eat at a healthy deficit, lose weight, and feel generally good, then why even bring the hormone debate into question?

MANY people use articles like this to justify why they just can't seem to get results when the actual problem is their expectations, their plan, or their adherence, which is why I hate this kind of stuff. If the article is completely accurate (which I doubt) then it is applicable to far fewer people who will jump on it and say, "That must be why I can't lose weight!" When the reality is that what they actually do is try to low-carb/Paleo/SouthBeach/EatLiketheDinosaurs diet and lose a few pounds, fall off the wagon, and gain it back. These people are not "weight loss resistant." They need a plan that works in life.
    ^^this
  • munchkin0518
    Options
    Wonderful article, explains why I was, at one point, eating 150-300 calories (yes, I had an eating disorder) for months, maintaining a bodyfat percentage of 17%, which wasn't bad but for eating something akin to air, wouldn't add up logically. I mean, one bowl of clear tomato soup for MONTHS and 17-FRICKIN-PERCENT? Skin and bones, yes, but NOT DEAD YET? (Although I was dead in the mind).

Thank you so much, I will try out the suggestions in the article, all of which were actually sensible and do-able. Anyone interested in results I will report back in about 17 days' time (hey, I can't help my crazy OCD ways with numbers).
  • JosephWilson86
    Options
    I really don't think there is much reason to believe that more than 1 out of 1000 people has a hormone problem that makes them fat. 999 out of 1000 people have an over eating under exercising problem. Even if they have hormone problems, it's overwhelmingly a thyroid issue, thyroid drugs are easy enough to buy so that's really not a good excuse either. The only other problem is maybe that they eat all their calories from sugar and they always have lots of insulin in their blood.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It is not an article, it is part of an extended advertisement.

Whilst much of what they say is true they still have a sales pitch. And some of what they espouse is tut - they do that great sleight of hand thing, like comparing kcal usage of sprinters and marathon runners to question why sprinters are leaner. Well any of my students could answer that one in a nano second..... energy system and fuel utilisation, Easy, not a surprise at all!

And if you don't like that example - why is it, they ask, that a gym bunny who is super duper fit gets all bothered climbing 2 flights of stairs. Again, my 16 year old students would answer that one or fail the test - training specificity!

I am not saying hormones play no part but please... the book is just a money making effort and is laughable in many of its explanations. Anyone with any any higher education in exercise physiology will find themselves shouting and tearing their hair out if they try reading this - I only Looked Inside and got palpitations!
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have been a big fan of Metabollic Effect for some time. They have done their research and published a book which I have found is very helpful.

It is much more FOR ME than cals in/out. I eat mostly paleo, have a very active lifestyle, and it has taken me several years to get to the level I am currently at. I'm not done, but I can't count calories and expect that to do it for me.

To OP, I buy into their philosophy and I like what they have to say.
  • maryinnc
    maryinnc Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Guinevere_22
    Guinevere_22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Considering that the article had clearly stated sources and referenced I don't see why it shouldn't be taken seriously.
    With that in mind I do agree that many people will take this as a reason they can't lose weight and then drop off their program. But then I also believe people who aren't truly committed will find a reason, whatever it is to end their program. I still think it's worth discussing issues like this as it's clearly something that does happen.
  • Guinevere_22
    Guinevere_22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Of course it is the jumping off point. My point is that too many people claim it to be the end all be all, when there is more to the story. I haven't read the article yet, the comment was not based on the article or excuses. I agree, people DO use articles and such as excuses. My point is the comments I always see in forums "calories in vs calories out is the law of the land" is of base from reality... there is more to it. Can some people have success only worrying about that? Of course. But many people have more to consider for success.

Cals in < cals out is not off base from reality. It is the reality of what works for MOST people. Some people have other issues, whether they be hormonal, metabolic, etc. But until they eat at a healthy deficit for an extended period of time (longer than two weeks) with no results, (Logging all foods: weighing and measuring, no quick added calories, ketchup counts, recipe builder-type logging). How can they possibly blame hormones/metabolism?

Talk like this does more harm than good. Gives people excuses and outs when the reality it that they just haven't been adhering to a reasonable plan.

PS: In my time here, I have also had trouble. Toyed with the idea that my metabolism was messed up. But then I got real with myself. I wasn't being honest with myself about my adherence to the plan. I think that is probably the case for most of the people who are having trouble.

I agree with you 100% about being honest with oneself. That is the only way we can truly determine whether it's our hormones or bad diet adherence. However, I do think that talk like this DOES serve a purpose; if people are going to use this as an excuse that is their issue. It is not for us to decide what is OK to discuss or not. If it has relevance I think it should be discussed.