fast or slow?

Options
5 minutes fast on a high setting or 10 minutes slow on a low setting - which is better? on treadmill, rower, cross trainer etc..

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on how fit you are and how high/low the settings are and what your goals are.

A bit higher for a bit longer is best for aerobic workout/fat loss.
  • fatmommaoftwo
    Options
    im quite fit, lost 33lbs so far... but i have 4lbs left to shift and they just wont go so im thinking if i speed up and go harder itll drop off?
  • stefjc
    Options
    Ah! That last little bit will be the most stubborn bit to shift.

You have a couple of choices but you may need to just relax about it. After 33lbs I know you won't want to give up, but it might be that you accept that they won't go, right now, and stop focussing on them and worrying at it :)

You could up either time or intensity, whichever you prefer. I'd use the same time frame but go further/faster. That way your workout slot/pattern won't change and you will be less likely to lose motivation. Try upping your speed, or going further, by about 10% and see how it feels.

Good luck.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure why the duration you're asking about is so low but the answer is pretty much always that higher intensity is going to have a greater metabolic effect than lower intensity
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    5 minutes fast on a high setting or 10 minutes slow on a low setting - which is better? on treadmill, rower, cross trainer etc..

That's the warm up, right?
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    Me personally hate treadmill or anyother electronic exercise machine. This is from years of being out at sea but I prefer to be on the cross trainer and a treadmill at max elevation and walking as fast as i can without holding on. It burns calories and works the legs. Running or walking with my wife (she does not run) because of the change in scenerie
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Combining the two even better
  • stefjc
    Options
    i'm not sure why the duration you're asking about is so low but the answer is pretty much always that higher intensity is going to have a greater metabolic effect than lower intensity

?? That is only partially true, as the increase will be equally short. Any workout will raise the metabolism post workout, but the amount it is raised and the duration of that raise is entirely dependent upon the workout, kcals consumed and muscle groups used, etc etc.

So half an hour walking could raise the metabolism higher for longer than a 3-5 rep heavy lift. It is entirely dependent upon the person doing it, their fitness levels etc.

And I assumed the example in the OP were for ease of understanding rather than absolute accuracy, hence my not snarking.
  • fatmommaoftwo
    Options

That's the warm up, right?

it was just an example...
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

it was just an example...

If your down to the last lbs of stubborn fat, search for lyle McDonald's "stubborn fat protocol"