I envy all of you who

Options
I am so jealous of all of you who post how you did an hour or more of any sort of work out! I cannot stay focused on it that long! I try to get in 30 minutes a day and usually that's pushing it! I get so burnt out! I do Wii Fit Plus and Jillian Michaels. (Wii Fit I do daily, Jillian I do every other day).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to burn some more calories that is fun and not so dreaded?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I like to walk, ride my bike, play tennis, etc. You've gotta find something you enjoy otherwise it will be a dreaded chore. If I had to do a work out video for my only work out, I would never do them because I find them to be so boring.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Walking!

I walk almost an hour almost every day >< I have been slack because of the rain in South Australia. But I take my son. If not I listen to music. I love listening to music and with a 14 month old it gets hard to just listen to music, so walking is my music time.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all of you who post how you did an hour or more of any sort of work out! I cannot stay focused on it that long! I try to get in 30 minutes a day and usually that's pushing it! I get so burnt out! I do Wii Fit Plus and Jillian Michaels. (Wii Fit I do daily, Jillian I do every other day).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to burn some more calories that is fun and not so dreaded?
    How about working out TWICE a day for a half an hour? I do that lot's of days with my 36 minute wieghtlifting dvd in the morning and then going for a fast 2.5 mile walk in the evening!!!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i walk thru my neighborhood and vary the routes. i would vary the routines and try something new--there are stretches and yoga on you tube for free viewing and shape.com has an exercise section. i don't have time to get in an hour every day either--it's a weekend luxury if my old injuries aren't flared up. try fitting in 15 minutes of one routine in the morning or a quick walk at lunch to add on minutes to your daily total. you don't want to feel compelled--it needs to be something you enjoy or rotate your routines so it varies. is there a local community pool or a school track that's open to the public nearby for a change of pace?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I did something new today - i walked to the local healthy grocery store that's about 3 miles away. This forced me to get a long workout in! Once I walked there, I had to walk back! :laugh: All together it took me about 1 hour and 40 minutes of walking - 6 miles. It was a great low-intensity workout. I'd recommend this type of thing to anyone.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I watch my DVRed shows while walking on the treadmill.
    I also do a program on the treadmill that varies the speeds and that always seems to go faster.
    I mix it up by also biking around a beautiful lake near our house.
    I will soon start lap swimming again too.
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    See if you can find a team sport to play that is enjoyable and you are held accountable to. Also, find a friend to workout with to help pass the time while walking, working out at the gym.
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options

I can walk for an hour or more outside, but 30min inside pushes me to the boredom max, unless a VERY interesting show is on TV.

If I'm at the gym, I mix it up with treadmill, bicycle, swimming, elliptical, and some days, weights. But if I do workout, I rarely do less than 45 minutes inside, and an hour outside.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    music! It makes all the difference in the world for me!! When I put on my iPod, and I am in a musical trance, I can keep going much much longer than I ever could before I had an ipod!!! Making new playlists keeps it fresh for me, and I'm always discovering new music.
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm one who loves the DVDs. P90X is a different work out every day and almost an hour for most so I don't get bored. Slim in 6 is the same workout for 2 weeks. That one is a little bit harder for me to stay focused for, but because I am working out with a bunch of ladies at church who count on me to open the building and bring the DVD, I do it. Working out with others (I do P90X with hubby too) is the best way for me to stay motivated; I have accountability.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    i walk thru my neighborhood and vary the routes. i would vary the routines and try something new--there are stretches and yoga on you tube for free viewing and shape.com has an exercise section. i don't have time to get in an hour every day either--it's a weekend luxury if my old injuries aren't flared up. try fitting in 15 minutes of one routine in the morning or a quick walk at lunch to add on minutes to your daily total. you don't want to feel compelled--it needs to be something you enjoy or rotate your routines so it varies. is there a local community pool or a school track that's open to the public nearby for a change of pace?
    No, we have the public schools, one day care, a gas station, and a small bank...and that's it! We live in BFE! If I walk from my house, to the gas station, that's about a mile, and that is from one side of town to the other!!!!!!
  • dresdenkali
    Options
    For me its treadmill +ipad. I watch an episode of something that keeps my mind off the clock. Sometimes I cover it up with my hand towel.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    I watch my DVRed shows while walking on the treadmill.
    I also do a program on the treadmill that varies the speeds and that always seems to go faster.
    I mix it up by also biking around a beautiful lake near our house.
    I will soon start lap swimming again too.
    I wish we had a treadmill!
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    i do my wii fit for a hour are so every day i love the boxing and advance step it great when i cant get out and walk and i also do the biggest loser dvd
  • blockeramanda
    blockeramanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everyone has there own ways of working out, my advise would be to find something that you enjoy doing. I bought a bike thingy from walmart for thirty dollars and I do it everynight there are sports on because by watching the game i forget about pedalling the bike so the bike becomes sorta like background noise and its easy to rack up mintues when you're doing something without even thinking about it.

Also I take my dog Bella for a walk almost everyday(gotta have rest days too) and we walk to the lake one day, then the road the next, and if there's no train we walk on the tracks behind my house. My point is you CAN DO IT, the hardest part is always getting started, but once you figure out what works well for you then its easy from there. The worst thing you can do is get down, or be hard on yourself because you don't work out for a hour like most other ppl. Everyone has different levels of fitness and I am sure a lot of ppl on here can varify that when they first got off the couch they couldn't go for a hour either.

Try pushing outside your comfort zone, if you feel tried try going an extra thirty seconds, then next time try for a mintue more..ect. you are the only one who is stopping you, once you overcome yourself you will find that it was all worth the struggle. Remember your weight wasn't put on overnight and it won't come off overnight either it takes hard work and eating right(no doritos everytime you have a bad day) to get to your goals hun. Good luck!

Manda B! Semper Fi to James always!
  • Hughes39
    Options
    Everyone has there own ways of working out, my advise would be to find something that you enjoy doing. I bought a bike thingy from walmart for thirty dollars and I do it everynight there are sports on because by watching the game i forget about pedalling the bike so the bike becomes sorta like background noise and its easy to rack up mintues when you're doing something without even thinking about it.

Also I take my dog Bella for a walk almost everyday(gotta have rest days too) and we walk to the lake one day, then the road the next, and if there's no train we walk on the tracks behind my house. My point is you CAN DO IT, the hardest part is always getting started, but once you figure out what works well for you then its easy from there. The worst thing you can do is get down, or be hard on yourself because you don't work out for a hour like most other ppl. Everyone has different levels of fitness and I am sure a lot of ppl on here can varify that when they first got off the couch they couldn't go for a hour either.

Try pushing outside your comfort zone, if you feel tried try going an extra thirty seconds, then next time try for a mintue more..ect. you are the only one who is stopping you, once you overcome yourself you will find that it was all worth the struggle. Remember your weight wasn't put on overnight and it won't come off overnight either it takes hard work and eating right(no doritos everytime you have a bad day) to get to your goals hun. Good luck!

Manda B! Semper Fi to James always!

i dont eat doritos everytime i have a bad day, but thank you for throwing my bad day today in my face
  • jodieking
    Options
    I believe that the ideal length of exercise for getting into the fat burning zone that will continue after you stop working out is 40-45 minutes. I work out for 40 minutes.... i just started exercising again and started with 20 minutes and slowly increased the length by 5 minutes extra ever couple of days until i reached 40 minutes. now 40 minutes doesnt seem so impossible. baby steps.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I do dance cardio dvds ... I have always loved dancing and used to take dance classes. Plus, you're so focused on the moves you forget you're working out. And your kids can dance along with you sometimes and you won't have to work around when they will be out or sleeping. =] I have multiple lengths of dance workouts (10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 50 minutes.)

I agree with breaking the work outs up. I get in about 1.5-2hrs of exercise a day, which is wayyyy more than I though I could (I started out thinking 20 mins/day or cardio and 10/day of abs), but it's because I break it up, do a little here, a little there.

Abs (crunches & jackknifes) you can do during commercials which is a good way to get in multiple little self-timed work outs. Mostly, it's just about saying 'ok, I have X minutes right now. What can I do?' It's good to have ideas for different time ranges so you don't have to waste time trying to figure out what your options are.

(And I'm excited because I've just discovered my cable On Demand has a whole list of FREE workouts which gives me variety & keeps me from getting bored!)

This was kind of rambling. Sorry. =]
  • digitalmelody
    Options
    music music music!! I find people watching at the gym very amusing, its like a mini soap opera!! when I exercise at home, I find that I dont work out as long. at the gym I know people could possibly be saying she only stayed on that for 15 minutes!! no wonder!! I have a good imagination.
  • zeteticgamin
    Options
    Breaking it up helps (30 minutes here, 15 there). Working out with a friend helps (I can always push harder with a buddy). Doing something (or 3 somethings!) you love helps.

BUT

It is also good to remember that raising the intensity of a workout burns the same calories in less time. I have a tight schedule - some days I've only got 20 minutes. If I crank it up, though, I can totally blast calories.

Take a deep breath today, honey. It's going to be OK!!