how to gain weight, not for me but for someone else

Options
My boyfriend is having trouble gaining weight. He's trying to get a 6 pack. He lifts weights ALL the time and still no results (he's addicted). He has a veeeeerrrryy fast metabolism (lucky him), and he can eat and eat and eat and not gain at ALL. Any advice? He's tried the protein powder and he went from 130 to 140 when he was on that but he can never get over 140.

Replies

• twnkltoz16
    twnkltoz16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Has he tried something other than weight lifting?

I know that strength training can only take you so far.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Bump! my partner is the same, would be interesting to find out!
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    bump my boyfriend also
  • josh6603
    Options
    How much rest are they incorporating into their routines? If they lift everyday they are not going to see any results. They need to understand the importance of letting your body rebuild itself. Also, they may need to "cut." Basically, they take a month or so off from lifting and then get back to the routine. This also helps build more muscle.
  • french13
    french13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    He went back down to 130 because he was inactive for 1 month recently because of a sports related injury. Now he's better though. He plays ALOT of soccer (he's addicted) and when he was doing weights (he has his own bench) he was lifting like 50 pounds and he used the leg weights at the bottom of his weight bench. He was trying the 6 star muscle whey protein and I guess that helped a bit. His leg muscles are huge because he's been playing soccer all his life, but he still needs work on his abs. So I didn't know exactly what to suggest to him. & haha our boyfriends are trying to gain while were trying to lose. I would gladly donate some fat to my boyfriend so he could make it into muscles. lol.
  • Tony190
    Options
    There is no magic bullet. I have always been one of those guys that "can eat anything and not gain a pound". I am 6' 4" and weight 172 - up nine pounds in 6 weeks - which I am happy with. I recently went through some life events and dropped from 206 to 163 lbs. It was a good loss because I had become a couch potato. Most of the weight lost was my gut. My entire diet has changed for the better but I was unable to put any weight back on for months. So, I decided to educate myself. I am amazed by how little calories good foods actually have - and how many calories are burned by simple things like mowing the lawn. Everybody has always said I eat all the time but when I started using this site to track my intake, it wasn't enough. Here is my plan and it seems to be working:

1. No Pop
    2. Water - lots of it
    3. Sleep - 8 hours a night - no excuses
    4. 6 meals per day - only use supplements to enhance REAL meals - NO fast food
    5. Eat dessert - if no fast food, the fat you get from this is needed
    6. 3 workouts a week, one hour each. These are serious, lift to failure, weight sessions. Not social.
    7. Change workout routines every 3 weeks. Muscle confusion is a recommended mass gain strategy.
    8, Track everything for 30 days and do the analysis. You get familiar with everything and it gets easier but start by tracking EVERYTHING and figuring out what you can do different to achieve your goal.
    9. Take days off to rest. No work, read a book, watch football. Give your body time to rest, repair, rebuild.

This has worked for me. I feel great, feel positive, and yes, look better than I have in about 10 years. I have abs, added an inch to biceps, developing shoulders, and lost 1.5 inches from the waist.

About the abs - your abdominals are one, if not the most used muscle groups in the body. They are used to the load. Him being a soccer player, they get used more than usual. If you want to add mass to any muscle group, you must stress, or break down that muscle group, then give it the nutrients to build back better and bigger. Most weight lifting routines recommend the number of reps to build mass should be 8-12 repetitions, 2-4 sets, 3 times a week. I imagine your beau can do dozens of crunches - so, he needs to add weight to his crunches. Hold a 25 pound plate behind his head to stress the muscle group.

I am certainly no expert and get most of my info from medical and weight lifting web sites. Here is one that is comprehensive and covers diet, rest, weight lifting, supplements, the whole package. http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/

I hope this helps.
    Tony
  • french13
    french13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thanks alot everyone & thanks tony. I'll let him read what you posted. the crunches idea is terrific and so is the rest.