Vegan- need info about a nutrient found only in red meat

Options
Hey everyone. The other day a friend told me she was reading in a book that the vegan diet is missing a nutrient that is only found in red meat. All she could say was it started with a T and sounds like it could be a protein or a neurotransmitter precursor. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be. I want to know as I use to be a vegan but had to go back to fish for health reasons. My body still feels like it is missing something and I think this could be the key. Thanks

Replies

• rachf2013
    rachf2013 Posts: 69
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/5-brain-nutrients-in-meat-fish-eggs/

I was vegetarian for 6 years and a nutritionist told me that as long as you get a good variety of good foods (and take supplements for things you know you are short on) you will be fine.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that you can't get from a vegan diet. The only thing that can be a struggle I vitamin B12 but a lot of foods are now fortified with this. The vegan society does recommend a supplement for this but not everyone does.

http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/b12.aspx
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    well if you take just a bit of your menstrual blood you will makeup for it and you'll still be vegan
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    well if you take just a bit of your menstrual blood you will makeup for it and you'll still be vegan

That sounds gross
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Read Eat to Live by Joel Furhman and you have a better understanding of what the body needs to thrive.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options

????
  • feathernaut
    feathernaut Posts: 66 Member
    Options

That sounds gross

I was hoping that was a joke...
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. The other day a friend told me she was reading in a book that the vegan diet is missing a nutrient that is only found in red meat. All she could say was it started with a T and sounds like it could be a protein or a neurotransmitter precursor. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be. I want to know as I use to be a vegan but had to go back to fish for health reasons. My body still feels like it is missing something and I think this could be the key. Thanks

Sorry, but your friend doesn't sound like she knows what she's talking about. Mabye she was referring to Tyrosine? Here's the Wiki page for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine

I am not a vegan, so I'm not an expert, but all "essential" amino acids (what proteins are made from) can be found in non-meat sources. For example, a "complete" protein (contains all essential amino acids) can be found by combining red beans and rice.

ETA: I like the idea of listening to my body. If I felt like I was missing something, I would listen to my body about what that something might be.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I hope this was a joke.

If not, no. And please don't spread unhealthy diet practices around.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options

B12. Nutritional Yeast is oftentimes fortified with it- you can find it in the bulk section at Whole Foods. I mix it into nearly every recipe I make. I never can taste it. There are also B12 supplements you can buy that dissolve under your tongue. Hope that helps.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

I don't have any menstrual cycles. can I please have some of yours???
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options

I don't have any menstrual cycles. can I please have some of yours???

bwahahaha so gross!!!

and omg yes people it was a joke! geez!
  • cmfaris8
    cmfaris8 Posts: 39
    Options
    Any nutrient that is found in meat, can also be found in foods that promote a vegan lifestyle. Check out the book "My Beef with Meat", it debunks all myths about vegan eating.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    tryptophan maybe? makes me want to go watch seinfeld lol

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhh-nU9upHg
  • beezipper
    beezipper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    B12 is the only thing I know of that is missing from our soil from over-farming, and is now only available from either meat or supplements (I take a sublingual vegan B12). I haven't heard of any other essential nutrient that you can't get through a balanced plant-based diet. :wink:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Taurine?