Any tips for getting past a plateau?

Options
So i've lost 56 lbs in total using my fitness pal. I'm having a little trouble though. Those first 50 lbs were not too too hard to lose but i'm struggling now. I'm still going to the gym, (mostly do cardio, running/walking) and then i play about an hour and a half of basketball. my carlories are good too. i know its bad that i'm sometimes under the minimum ( i'll eat about 1000 calories) my goal is 1710 calories,but i struggle to get to 1200. but i eat all day long but i eat a lot of low calories and low in fat and then only have one full meal thats 800-1000 calories. but like i said i dont starve myself i actually eat all day long.

for the past 2 and a half weeks i've been around the same weight. i actually lost 3-4 lbs in those 2 and a half weeks. 1 Week ago i got down to 249 lbs! but since then i've been up to around 251-253 lbs, and its been constant. what should i do to get back to 249 and keep on slimming down? This plateau is driving me crazy!

Replies

• startheory
    startheory Posts: 63
    Options
    I hit a plateau too, for about a month. I upped my calories a day by 100 and started losing again. Yay more food!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    So i've lost 56 lbs in total using my fitness pal. I'm having a little trouble though. Those first 50 lbs were not too too hard to lose but i'm struggling now. I'm still going to the gym, (mostly do cardio, running/walking) and then i play about an hour and a half of basketball. my carlories are good too. i know its bad that i'm sometimes under the minimum ( i'll eat about 1000 calories) my goal is 1710 calories,but i struggle to get to 1200. but i eat all day long but i eat a lot of low calories and low in fat and then only have one full meal thats 800-1000 calories. but like i said i dont starve myself i actually eat all day long.

for the past 2 and a half weeks i've been around the same weight. i actually lost 3-4 lbs in those 2 and a half weeks. 1 Week ago i got down to 249 lbs! but since then i've been up to around 251-253 lbs, and its been constant. what should i do to get back to 249 and keep on slimming down? This plateau is driving me crazy!

1. 2 1/2 weeks is not a plateau.
    2. And your calorie goal seems a bit screwy
  • CoachDougW
    CoachDougW Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds to me like you aren't eating enough. A body can only handle a huge deficit for so long without freaking out.

Your body can't handle only 1000 calories in a day (at least not if the rest of your days are at a huge deficit too) - you definitely need to get at least 1500 every day. I would suggest bumping your calories up 100-200 more, maybe change up your workout a bit (take out a cardio day, and add a lifting day?) and do that for a few weeks. I bet your weight loss will take right off again.

Doug
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but a lot of us have found that our weight loss stalls if we drop our calories too low. If you're seriously having trouble eating enough, try including more calorie dense foods into your routine. Nuts, peanut butter, full fat dairy, cheese, Greek yogurt, avocado, olive oil or coconut oil, eggs, dark chocolate, protein shakes, etc. all add a lot of calories without making you eat a lot of food.